Author Topic: I'm Still Wondering...  (Read 4157 times)

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
I'm Still Wondering...
« on: February 02, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
With the recent discussions of whether Jacob and Smoky are the same entity, I remembered Daniel from season 1 calling Smoky a security system. "It's purpose it that of any security system: to protect something." Now most people when they see a man-eating, tree-ripping black cloud wouldn't just assume that it's the latest tech gadget. So what has Daniel seen that we don't know about?

And while we're at it... what about all the other loose ends? The numbers clearly are more than just part of an equation. They've brought Hurley terrible luck, they were the code at the Swan station, and the timer (108 minutes) is the sum of the numbers. So what's up with them? For that matter, what was the Swan station? It had something to do with magnetism, and then it imploded in a bright white flash, leaving Locke and Eko scattered around the island and Desmond in the future. So what's up with that? And for that matter, what's up with Desmond seeing the future? What about Walt's powers. What's the disease that supposedly infected Daniel's crew (and I think it was mentioned in the Lost Experience as well). Why did the Others want children? Who do the Others deem to be "good" people, and why does it matter? Why did the psychic insist that Claire must raise her baby? What's special about Aaron?

These questions are getting moldy. Does anyone have any new thoughts on them?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Still Wondering...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
I reckon the Others want children for the same reason most people do. Other than that, I got little or nothin' to help you right now. We'll probably find out a bit more about Walt in these 8 episodes, but I'm not sure about the rest. We need to learn about the boat people and the 6.

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »
Might the 6 have something to do with the "Oceanic Six"?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. Learn about the boat people and the Oceanic 6.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:23:09 AM »
I think the Others want young people to train as replacements for themselves. They can't have their own children,
so have to recruit from the outside somehow. We know they love to brainwash people (Karl), so it is easier to mold the mind of a child than an adult.

The disease is just a front for the purge. I think that the Others told Dharma there was a disease that wiped out most of the Dharma members and to stay away. They came up with a fake cure to keep certain people in line, like the people in the Swan. I don't think they wanted to have anything to do with that station and just kept their distance.
They could watch what was going on from the Pearl.

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
The disease is just a front for the purge.
It's a decent enough guess, but I don't think it fits with everything else we know. We know Daniel killed her crew because they were infected. But the toxin used in the purge seemed to kill within seconds. That doesn't give Daniel much time to decide that her crew and her husband must all die and shoot them herself. It doesn't fit with the Lost Experience either.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:10:10 PM »
I think there might be something here. It might be easier to tell the people left in the hatches after the purge that there's a disease out there as opposed to a bunch of homicidal maniacs that kill with neurotoxins.

Offline TheLostAg

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »
As far as the hatch... I am going to assume that you are serious in your questions and explain just what happened.  

The Swan Station was a station designed to electrically discharge the huge magnetic force that the island generates (and thus that is why the compasses do not work just right on the island).  If they don't press the button, the magnetic force builds up to where the discharging mechanism cannot handle it (thus breaking Oceanic 815 in half the first time it was not pressed in time and imploding the entire hatch the second time because Desmond turned the key to destroy the station and releasing all of the magnetic force at once and turning the sky purple and making that loud noise that they heard all the way across the island).  As far as the future flashes of Desmond's, I seriously doubt they will ever fully explain just what happened besides that experience turning him into one of those "future-see-ers" (maybe just because he was on the island).  The kid thing the producers say they will explain fairly soon and there are plenty of valid theories (like those on this particular post for example).  All in all there are going to be questions that have been unanswered for a while, while there will be questions that will be answered more quickly simply because that is how the writers plan to move the story along.  For instance, the two people "Adam and Eve" from the first season are going be explained and the four toed foot statue from the end of the second season is supposed to be explained in season four.  I can understand your frustration that your questions are not being answered as quickly as you would like them to be, but that is what makes Lost a show in its own.  As I tell my friends who get frustrated for the same reason, if you don't like the fact that everything gets resolved by the end of every episode, find a new Drama to watch like ER or CSI.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:57:59 PM »
They will get to all of the big questions. I think that many small ones may never be answered. But that just means they are not that important to the overall story

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
As far as the hatch... I am going to assume that you are serious in your questions and explain just what happened. 

The Swan Station was a station designed to electrically discharge the huge magnetic force that the island generates
Well yes, my question was serious. And that question still stands, because I don't see where the show justifies your conclusion. In Orientation, we learned that "Station 3 was originally constructed as a laboratory where scientists could work to understand the unique electromagnetic fluctuations emanating from this sector of the island." So all we really know is that the island is unique, and that the Swan was a labratory. Anything else—including that the station was "designed to electrically discharge the huge magnetic force"—is really only speculation.

This is why I say these questions are getting moldy, because when you look back, the show actually told us very, very little, and the Swan now seems like an insignificant and forgotten chapter of Lost.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »
Danielle is a nut case. She doesn't tell the full truth. She said that her crew was infected and she had to kill them.
I have to go back and watch some of what she said, but I think she said they went mad.

She has been alone for 15-16 years. We need a flashback to really understand what went on with her. Right now, we only have 7 episodes left, I doubt we'll see more from her until next season. I'm sure we'll have another Locke and Jack flashback/forward before we get to Danielle.

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:58:09 AM »
I can understand your frustration ... but that is what makes Lost a show in its own.  As I tell my friends who get frustrated for the same reason, if you don't like ... that everything gets resolved by the end of every episode, find a new Drama to watch like ER or CSI.
I don't need conclusions after only forty minutes, but I do think three years is more than pushing it.

I still remember an old show called Twin Peaks. It was also arc-driven and extremely popular. But "the storylines became obscure and drawn out" [*]. Viewers got frustrated, ratings dropped, and the show was eventually canceled. Lost has survived on other merits, but I think it could have been so much better if the timing for questions and answers were handled differently.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying I want all the answers sooner. I'm actually saying that I think the questions should have come later.

Offline randomwaves

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »
Danielle is a nut case. She doesn't tell the full truth. She said that her crew was infected and she had to kill them.
I have to go back and watch some of what she said, but I think she said they went mad.

maybe the "disease" was fallout from the neurotoxin? Then it dissipated, and no one bothered to tell anyone in the swan station?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »
Anything else—including that the station was "designed to electrically discharge the huge magnetic force"—is really only speculation.

This was pretty well confirmed by Kelvin, I think, in one of Des's flashbacks.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 02:29:45 PM »
Kelvin knew the disease did not exist-at least at the time when we saw him and Desmond together in the hatch.  That's a whole other issue.

Nothing is insignificant or forgotten in Lost.  Almost every question has been addressed in some very small way with clues, but no answers, but I don't believe for a second that just because they're not being answered right now, they're not significant.  Keep hanging on, they will come.

....sometimes my mind wonders back to times when we questioned..... who the people walking through the jungle were, and why did they have a teddy bear like that other kid's?  what the heck is up with the second island?  the Others live on the Lostie's island, but work on the other one?  What's up with Rose's sudden healing and why is Bernard working to get them off the island when they swore they would never leave?  Where is Christian's body if the casket was empty?  Who are Adam and Eve?  Is Watership Down significant because they were telling that this is a new society being established and you have to make alliances with other groups to survive?  If Dharma built roads, where are they now?  Didn't they simply point Michael in the direction of the other island...why are we assuming he "got off" the island?  Why can you see the Losties island from the second island, but you can't see the other way around?  How did the Other's have a "security camera" on the dock from the trees??  Is Desmond still injecting himself?  What happened to the injections Claire has? 

When did Lost get so complicated?  Are they really adding more questions or are they revisiting the same questions over and over again? 

Side note...
This discussion got me to thinking about something I've noticed a lot lately with this show.  I really think the island time is much slower than our time.  Danielle's ship was very old, and yet she's only been there for 16 years.  The question mark for me is how the distress message she put out correlates to Hurley's psych ward friend hearing the numbers being transmitted. 

90 days is a long time to be at sea...but what if the world thinks they Losties have been there for years?  That would explain the extreme level of fame they apparently have when they return.