Author Topic: Why was Naomi flying in the helo by herself?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Lost_viewer

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Why was Naomi flying in the helo by herself?
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
Why was Naomi flying in the helo by herself? Was there some turmoil on the freighter and she had to get out of dodge ala cabin fever?Also in Ji Yeon where did Frank go? Keamy was pretty mean about Frank being timely..

Offline AgtRabbit

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Naomi flying in the helo by herself?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:58:53 PM »
I have a question that follows along the same line as where did Frank run his errand to and Naomis helicopter ride.  On the boat there is only room for one helicopter and if naomis crashed then where did the other com from so quickly?

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
Welcome, Rabbit.

There are two helicopter pads, so we have to allow the possibility of two choppers. If there were two, then it's likely the first one crashed. Whether Naomi was the pilot or whether there was a second pilot, we may never know.

OTOH there are people who think Naomi's helicopter didn't crash. We didn't actually see that happen and we know that Frank saved the later chopper when everybody else bailed out. So, maybe there was always just one chopper and Frank saved it both times.

Offline AgtRabbit

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:50 PM »
Very true.  Thanks.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »
If by herself though, recon.  Not a great idea at night though unless she had a FLIR.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:02 PM »
If by herself though, recon.  Not a great idea at night though unless she had a FLIR.
It was night when she landed, but it could have been daytime when she left the freighter.  Remember when Sayid and Desmond got to the freighter Sayid said to Frank, "Then perhaps you'll share how we took off at dusk and landed in the middle of the day."

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:44:54 PM »
Right so we'll never know.  The whole parachuting from an in flight helo makes little since to me anyways.  The low altitude/chute opening scenario just don't float.

Offline fieldy32

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
Welcome, Rabbit.

There are two helicopter pads, so we have to allow the possibility of two choppers. If there were two, then it's likely the first one crashed. Whether Naomi was the pilot or whether there was a second pilot, we may never know.

OTOH there are people who think Naomi's helicopter didn't crash. We didn't actually see that happen and we know that Frank saved the later chopper when everybody else bailed out. So, maybe there was always just one chopper and Frank saved it both times.
Wait... didn't Desmond's little group that went to find Naomi in the first place (before they even knew who it was) see a helicopter go flying into the water or something, at least saw it go down... For some reason I remember a look of horror on Desmonds face due to the chopper going down, then they end up finding Naomi stuck in a tree.  Correct me if I'm wrong though please

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
Just rewatched. We don't see anything. The helicopter's sound fades away and we do hear a splash. But it's not a loud one. No louder than the surf. Our guys assume it crashed and they're probably right, but I wouldn't put it in the "for sure" column just yet. If the splash isn't just surf, it could be Frank throwing things overboard to lighten the load. Or it could be the chopper going down.

The great thing about this scene is it has Des remembering Penny, dreaming that she's spent the last three years looking for him. Neatly foreshadowing Penny's lines in The Constant.

Offline fieldy32

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »
The great thing about this scene is it has Des remembering Penny, dreaming that she's spent the last three years looking for him. Neatly foreshadowing Penny's lines in The Constant.
Nice, I didn't even realize that when I rewatched until I read this comment.

Offline moyboy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
Right so we'll never know.  The whole parachuting from an in flight helo makes little since to me anyways.  The low altitude/chute opening scenario just don't float.

my thoughts exactly

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 04:20:37 PM »

Hmmm . . I never thought about that possibility.  If she wrecked the helicopter, where did it wreck and yeah, the chute would not open in enough time to actually save her I wouldn't think.  I think maybe whatshisname was driving the copter, she jumped out and then he went back to get the other guys.  I mean . . the copter does have a weight limit and he wouldn't have been able to carry all of them at the same time. 

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 08:16:54 AM »
Maybe it wasn't a parachute, but was actually a paraglider, with a motorised rotor?

She might have unstrapped the rotor and dumped it in the sea, prior to gliding inland. That's why no huge splash or crash was heard when "the helicopter" went down.

The helicopter story was obviously designed to make the losties believe they were being rescued. If she had told them that she'd arrived via paraglider instead of helicopter, it would have become obvious she was on a scouting mission rather than a rescue mission.

Offline fieldy32

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
Maybe it wasn't a parachute, but was actually a paraglider, with a motorised rotor?
Lol! This is awesome if it were true.   I just think that the creators just decided they wanted people jumpin from helicopters with parachutes... we actually see Daniel Faraday fall out of the chopper and his chute opening... there was no doubt it was CGI... I don't think Cuse and Lindelof wanted to risk having stunt men actually parachute out of a chopper onto an island from a couple hundred feet in the air.  They just decided that instead of making it realistic, they wanted it to seem more Hollywood. That's my take on it.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
I think maybe whatshisname was driving the copter, she jumped out and then he went back to get the other guys.  I mean . . the copter does have a weight limit and he wouldn't have been able to carry all of them at the same time. 

But there was a definite splash, which was loud enough to be a rotor but not loud enough to be a helicopter.