Author Topic: Theory on Jacob *SPOILERS 'CAUSE I THINK I'M ACTUALLY RIGHT!*  (Read 12051 times)

Offline aoisenshi

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Theory on Jacob *SPOILERS 'CAUSE I THINK I'M ACTUALLY RIGHT!*
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:33:55 AM »
Really, I really think I got this, so if you want to keep living in mystery, don't read this!!

Btw, sorry if this is really old, I'm new (like, 6 minutes new) to this board.

Ok, so...
Just to to blunt: I think Jacob is smokey the monster and every manifestation that was ever seen on the island.
Evidence:
Yemmy(sp?): Yemmy (Eko's vision on island) said to Eko, "You speak to me as if I were your brother." Why would Yemmy say this? Shortly after... Eko was killed by smokey.
Walt: The vision of Walk stops Locke from killing himself when Lock is in the pit of death. Why would Jacob want to help Locke? Because Jacob wants Locke to help him! Remember Jacob said, "Help.... me..." And then, after Ben shoots Locke, he said, "I hope Jacob helps you." And then.... Jacob/Walk does!

I think Jacob can be wherever and whoever he want to be, and let himself be seen by only one person, or multiple people.

Jacob is "the good guy."
Jacob cares about the survivors (Jack, Hurley, Lock...).
I think Jacob is the dead Charlie that Hurley sees at the crazy house. Jacob/Charlie wants Hurley to "help them."
Also, Jacob is Boon when Locke sees him so much. Boon/Jacob told Locke to "fix his mistakes."

There is a lot more that I forget/don't feel like typing.

So, (if this isn't uber old, and if it is, I apologize), what do you think??

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on Jacob *SPOILERS 'CAUSE I THINK I'M ACTUALLY RIGHT!*
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:40:47 AM »
I agree or at least think they're related somehow, which doesn't seem all that amazing and revelational if that's even a word, but I don't think Christian is alive, but I have to agree the flash of Jacob in the cabin in 4x01 looked like Christian in the suit he was buried in, which makes me think Jacob had manifested himself into that image.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:42:30 AM »
I pretty much agree except that I'd say it more generally- I say that all those mysterious happenings are the Island itself communicating.  Didn't Hurley say "IT" tonight when talking to Jack about going back?

Jacob may be some sort of personification of the Island.

I agree or at least think they're related somehow, which doesn't seem all that amazing and revelational if that's even a word, but I don't think Christian is alive, but I have to agree the flash of Jacob in the cabin in 4x01 looked like Christian in the suit he was buried in, which makes me think Jacob had manifested himself into that image.
YES!  I think it was Christian.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:25 AM »
The part that is crazy, is why would Jacob appear to Hurley as Christian.  It doesnt make a whole lot of since yet. 

One thought, what if Christian visited the mental institution to help people with other problems as well.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 05:08:35 AM »
The 1st thought in my mind is....why did Yemi appear to Locke in s2e21 "?" ?  The Island may be choosing to appear to Hurley as Christian, because Hurley is supposed to communicate something important to Jack.  They may have a "journey" to go on together just as Locke & Eko did.

Blackrock Bob

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
I think Jacob is the Island.
It does look like the Island shows up as Christian. I don't think Smokey is Jacob or the Island though. Maybe there are 2 Smokeys?

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
In my initial reactions show last night we touched on the aparitions a bit (along with healing which is also attributed to the Island). But to me there seems to be some paradox in aparitions that seem like ghost, ones that seem more corporeal, those that seem connected and those that don't.

Yei for instance refers to Ecko as his brother in one epi and then exclaims that he is not in another encounter.

I'm starting to think that there are two forces at play with essentially the same powers. Perhaps Jacob and smokey are possibly opposites or opposing forces. Each responsible for some of the aparitions we have seen.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:37:52 PM »
Jacob equals God of the Island.

Smokey equals Devil of the Island.

maybe

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
Jacob equals God of the Island.

Smokey equals Devil of the Island.

maybe
then why does jacob get angry and why does he hide?

then why doesn't smokey just kill everyone?  we haven't seen him in ages?  does he have nothing "devilsh" to do?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 03:29:05 PM »
I think that Smokey was created by Dharma, but somehow acquired autonomy.  Maybe Dharma created a "monster" (Cerberus/ security system) that they thought they could control, but the uniqueness of the Island was a variable that they had underestimated, & they lost control....the "incident."

Things that I have previously explained as "Smoky" activity, I'm beginning to attribute to other forces or entities.

Offline TheLostAg

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
It's pretty simple people...
"Smokey" (Cerberus Security system) could have either been on the island from way before the Dharma people or could have been developed by them as protection (how else could they have known what would keep him out of their barracks?)
Jacob is the visual manifestation of the island and what its interests are (i.e. saving Locke to warn everyone that danger is coming instead of rescue).
Personally, I am of the "smokey can transform himself into different images that it has seen in people's previous memories" school of thought so the whole Eko thing with his brother was in my opinion simply smokey seeing him as a threat and dealing with him (as a way for him to get written off the show).

The only connection between Jacob and Smokey is that they both inhabit the island and we are ill informed about them.  Jacob can only be seen by those who are "special," while Smokey can be seen just about wherever he turns up by anyone who sees him.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
It's pretty simple people...
"Smokey" (Cerberus Security system) could have either been on the island from way before the Dharma people or could have been developed by them as protection (how else could they have known what would keep him out of their barracks?)
Jacob is the visual manifestation of the island and what its interests are (i.e. saving Locke to warn everyone that danger is coming instead of rescue).
Personally, I am of the "smokey can transform himself into different images that it has seen in people's previous memories" school of thought so the whole Eko thing with his brother was in my opinion simply smokey seeing him as a threat and dealing with him (as a way for him to get written off the show).

The only connection between Jacob and Smokey is that they both inhabit the island and we are ill informed about them.  Jacob can only be seen by those who are "special," while Smokey can be seen just about wherever he turns up by anyone who sees him.
Oh yeah...pretty simple. :P  jk   :D  I actually agree with much of what you're saying.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 06:02:23 PM »
I think there are multiple competing entities behind Smokie, and that's why we see conflicting behavior at times.

Offline Black-Rock

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 07:10:35 PM »
One interesting fact that goes unanswered - Jacob looks like Christian Shephard.  Christian Shephard's casket was empty at his funeral.   Food for thought...  Any ideas?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »
One interesting fact that goes unanswered - Jacob looks like Christian Shephard.  Christian Shephard's casket was empty at his funeral.   Food for thought...  Any ideas?

Uh, I think you just summarized our dilemma.  Ask us in three years.  We'll know then!  :D