Author Topic: Something I just thought of - could mean nothing, could mean everything!  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Fishsta

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
So, Mikhail goes into the Looking Glass, and meets the two girls, and his reaction is....

"I thought you were on an assignment in Canada?"

WOAH. Stop the horses.

Canada? Wait, isn't Ethan from Canada?

More than that, these people are the island inhabitants, NOT the Dharma people. Whilst Dharma is apparently under the impression everything is fine on the island (food drops etc), the REAL Others are leaving the island on assignments? Maybe regularly?

So, the Others could be walking among you and me, doing whatever their assignments are, and we don't know it.

There is SOMETHING different about these people. Richard was on "assignment" in Miami to spy on Juliet's sister. How did he get there? How did he get back? The submarine? You can't just park your submarine in America and put a quarter in the meter, there's checks and paperwork.

None of the Others apparently think it strange for two of them to go on assignment to Canada, for God knows how long, even if they were actually only going to the Looking Glass station.

So, what "assignments" do they go on? How do they go on them?

Am I just chasing a throwaway comment trying to find a hidden meaning because I want people to think, "Damn, he's smart for noticing that, there must be something in it?"

Or is there something worth looking at?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
so you're pointing out that the others leave the island on assignments? lol

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
so you're pointing out that the others leave the island on assignments? lol

Yeah, we do pretty much know that already what with Ethan and Richard courting Juliet. As for the submarine, most likely they fly somewhere relatively nearby and used the sub from there.
\

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Plus we know the recruit people and bring them to the island, Ben said most of the people were recruited, like Juliet.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Fishsta, Ethan said he was from Ontario.  Some of us think he meant Ontario, CA which is east of Los Angeles.  The plane was going to Los Angeles.  This clue was probably meant to be misleading.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I think the question would be, what were they expected to be doing in Canada that must've taken 16 years or so with no contact when Patchy seems to be in control of communications.  Did he think they were dead or what?  They must've been down there for a while to maintain secret hatch operations.  And Daniel's transmission has probably been blocked for the last 16 years.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I think the question would be, what were they expected to be doing in Canada that must've taken 16 years or so with no contact when Patchy seems to be in control of communications.  Did he think they were dead or what?  They must've been down there for a while to maintain secret hatch operations.  And Daniel's transmission has probably been blocked for the last 16 years.

The Comms to/from the Flame have been down/blocked since the Pearl blew up. Thats when they went to the looking glass. The 16 year transmission has been ignored since it was not on any key channels that the Flame used.

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Damn you're smart for noticing that.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile

I thik they only started jamming 'their own' signals when the SWAN blew up. Ben called down and ordered radio silence then told his crew that the hatch flooded.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile

I thik they only started jamming 'their own' signals when the SWAN blew up. Ben called down and ordered radio silence then told his crew that the hatch flooded.
THis is correct.