Author Topic: Of course there is time travel, and it's not limited to the island.  (Read 6726 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Of course there is time travel, and it's not limited to the island.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »
I wanted to add something.  Most of the people who watch this show don't visit forums or listen to the podcasts or have even heard of lostpedia.  They would never know that the producers may have said 'no time travel' and instead were left to their own devices.  I think some of these casual viewers may have an advantage over us, because we tend to take everything the producers say fully to heart and in turn block out certain ideas.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »
I think it had a double effect. First, the major thing keeping her from going was no longer an obstacle and second, I'd be freaked out wondering what these people would do if I declined if they were powerful (to be read "insane") enough to make the bus "accident" happen.

Well said I think you hit the nail on the head
as i was reading this thread that is exactly what i was thinking

how better to show the lengths they would go to to make sure she would " agree "  to work for them

Welcome to the boards

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 05:09:38 PM »
Well, Ms. Hawking clearly stated that there was time travel. Also, the producers have also stated that time travel is involved, and that it may not be in the standard way people are thinking about time travel (i.e., people on spaceships flying through wormholes to the other side and then seeing mirror images of themselves. It is time travel nonetheless, meaning the ability of a person to observe another point in time, while being armed with facts that you still have that come from the past or present).  It is one thing to time travel with no knowledge of the past or present, it is quite another to move from one dimension to the next, armed with facts that you know will happen or have happened to complicate your journey even more!

The case for  "Mind Time Travel" has been clearly represented in this show and there have been multiple cases of characters and writers supporting this theory.  Being able to observe (and alter) events that occurred in a different time has been shown and you can believe your eyes, the show is telling you what they are doing, whether you want to believe it or not.

Some examples:

-Ms. Klugh- "have you ever seen Walt in a place he was not supposed to be in?"
-Walt appearing and reappearing in places where he wasn't originally.
-The whole "Jacob" incident (appeared to be a mind time traveler from another era, that was 'trapped' in a dimension he clearly didn't belong in or want to be in)
-almost the entire episode of Desmonds experiences in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" (which, by the way, the writers were quoted as saying after this episode that this was a major piece of how the show will be explained going forward)
-the concept of 'flash forwards' and 'flashbacks' as a major vehicle for the show
-the whispers, which are possibly travelers who are trapped or are observing from afar 'in between' two worlds
-Cooper who mysteriously ends up on the island, with some lame excuse (If you actually believe he was "kidnapped" and transported to the island on a sub, you really need to watch the show more closely)
-"Only fools are enslaved by time and space" as a major talking point from the wacky 'Room 23' video
-the island as a Pandora's box metaphor (not really a metaphor)- 'whatever you wish for you can get' (explains how Cooper and other things have come to the island, the island that 'can't be seen by God himself'
-Cindy's proclamation to Jack in the cage "We're here to watch"
-The new revelation from the spoiler for Season 4
Spoiler
(don't read if you don't want to be spoiled) from Dark UFO
Posted by DarkUFO Episode 4.02 will be called "Confirmed Dead".
  If they are dead, how can they be alive?  Because they are dead in one time thread, but alive in another
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:25:53 AM by Jugdish »

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
Didn't TPTB give the "no time travel" statement waaaay back closer to the beginning of the show?
Honestly, when I read that they said that, I took it to mean that there was no time travel involved in the losties ending up on the island... in other words, when the plane crashed, they didn't go through some wormhole and end up in prehistoric times where dinosaurs were wandering around in the jungle... something like that. I never thought it was supposed to rule out any time travel at all over the entire run of the show.  :-\

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 10:56:17 PM »
Didn't Hurley get the time machine working? The Dharma VW van.
Sitting in it is the present, in the rear view is the past and ahead of you is the future....

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 09:51:44 PM »
Wow that is very profound!  I bet that is what they meant all along!!!!

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 11:32:20 PM »
I don't know about time travel as we usually think of it but I'm pretty sure we are dealing with Multiple Parallel Universes similar to King's Gunslinger and Talisman/Black House novels.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »
I think TPTB said no to parallel universes....

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 05:38:24 PM »
Can we really trust everything that has been attributed to TPTB? 

At this point they have denied every theory except the whole show taking place in the mind of Cliff Claven while he is in a coma from bumping his head after drunkenly falling on his mail route...wait....I think that might be my new theory.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »
Tee producers have confirmed (in one of their podcatss) that Des did travel back in time, so the "there is no time travel" statements are not valid.

Did anyone see the video of the Dharma guy (Candlewick or several flavors of names) and the rabbit? It's on youtube...and there are some things in that short video that strongly indicate either time travel or some sort of multiple universe events. Listen carefully for someone saying something about a 'shift' - think paradox.

I have been rewatching season 3 and there are many indications (IMHO) that point to time travel, time shifts, or multiple universes.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »
Interesting...in the video, Candlewick (or whatever he's calling himself) mentions the Casimir Effect of the island.

This from Stephen Hawking (http://www.hawking.org.uk/lectures/warps3.html):
"We thus have experimental evidence from the bending of light, that space-time is curved, and confirmation from the Casimir effect, that we can warp it in the negative direction. So it might seem possible, that as we advance in science and technology, we might be able to construct a wormhole, or warp space and time in some other way, so as to be able to travel into our past. If this were the case, it would raise a whole host of questions and problems. One of these is, if sometime in the future, we learn to travel in time, why hasn't someone come back from the future, to tell us how to do it."

Here is the video link:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=4bTvAUVPyLI

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
Also, don't know how much we can read into this or not, but as Richard is talking to Juliet at the airport, he says, "I know six months seems like an eternity, but..." time moves differently where we are going.  Or something to that effect.  Maybe like 'time flies when you're having fun' thing, or maybe time IS different. blah!

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
There is also that whole thing with Richard not aging too..

He appears to be the same age now as when Ben was just a creepy little whippersnapper and haden't yet murdered his unsuspecting father and neighbors.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 09:41:48 PM »
except for his freaky hairdo....

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
I don't want to say that time moves differently on the island and that is why Richard doesn't age...because that goes out the window when you look at Alex and Ben.  I'm thinking more like it moves differently compared to the rest of the world.  Not the future, not the past, but along side it on a seperate plane.  I dunno!