Author Topic: Site Crash Solution? (Lost Nights)  (Read 16652 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Site Crash Solution? (Lost Nights)
« on: May 26, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »
TXFlyboy mentioned this to me, and after a lot of thought, I think this might actually be a good idea. We would all like a thousand people on this site at once, but the current server cannot handle it. Obviously switching to a new server would be a lot of trouble, and none of us would ask that, especially since this one works fine as long as there are few than 500 people online.

We were wondering, Sledge, if it was possible to restrict Guest use of the forum within a period of time after each episode airing? Allow the guest to register if he so wishes, but restrict access so that the people who are posting the ideas will be able to get online. It would make it a lot less frustrating, and you might actually get more members. On a different site I went to today (www.lost-media.com), they also have a rule like this. Their period of time seems a little too long to me, but here is the message I received when trying to look at their forum:

Due to the high volume of traffic we receive on episode nights, Lost-Forum.com is disabled to guest viewing until tomorrow. Please feel free to register, or visit us again at a later time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

TXFlyboy suggested maybe a 48 hour restriction on non-members. I think this may be a little bit too much, and would say 24 hours should be sufficient. However, he has a good point, because within 48 hours of the episode's airing, I still couldn't get on this site due to the amount of people online.

I'm sure all of us are ecstatic that there are over 800 people who want to see this site and what it has to offer all at the same time, but it just made it impossible to navigate the site. In my opinion, and you can move this to the mod section for discussion, I think that if we had a 24-hour period of only members posting after each airing of an episode, it would be better for all. It would encourage potential members to join and free up more bandwidth for those of us with theories and questions about the show.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Site Crash Solution? (Lost Nights)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:55 PM »
frankly i think this is an awesome idea.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:37:49 PM »
I talked to Astro, and he says that the way it is currently set up, a hit anywhere on the site will access the mainframe, so doing this right now won't affect it much :-\

But there might be a way to rewire it to make it work.

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 12:35:19 AM »
I hope that some kind of solution is found!
Even now, I'm getting "can't access the website" stuff sometimes.  :'(

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:28 PM »
I want a fast pass.  That's all I have to say about that.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 09:35:32 PM »
I want a fast pass.  That's all I have to say about that.
if you get one, so do i.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:54:47 PM »
Look, if there's a free pass getting handed out, I'm handing it out to ME! ;)

JB's right, the issues with the site don't have as much to do with the server or directly with the traffic.  It has to do with the architecture behind the way this website works.  Basically every page on the site is created dynamically when someone loads it.  So even hitting "refresh" is causing the database to be queried for the page values. 

Sledge has some ideas on how to fix this and we're hoping to get into some of them this summer-fall-winter hiatus.  Of course we won't know if what we do really works until next year.  :(