Author Topic: What do you think of this theory?  (Read 3376 times)

Offline mainemary

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
What do you think of this theory?
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
Kate is not in jail and Jack's father is still alive because both went back in time and changed things. Kate didn't kill her father and Jack showed up in time to save his father from dying.

The island is a time machine. That has to be it.

Hurley is lucky now because he went back in time and didn't buy the lottery ticket. And Locke can walk because he never fell out of that window.

And, Jack is miserable now because something he did to change future events came out very, very wrong. Kind of like that Ray Bradbury story where a group of time travelers went back in time and someone stepped off the trail and stepped on a butterfly ultimately leading to Hitler winning WWII.

What do you think?

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of this theory?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:33:54 PM »
I sure do hope that they don't go in a "time machine" route. I think that would just mess up the entire show.

Good idea though.

Offline mainemary

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
I know, but maybe a time machine in a good way like back to the future.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:40:31 AM »
I don't believe this show has any time travel. 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 01:40:44 PM »
I agree.

Did Ana-Lucia go too far back and die? How was Aaron born? Time travelling island just makes no sense whatsoever. Sorry. :-\

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »
I agree.

Did Ana-Lucia go too far back and die? How was Aaron born? Time travelling island just makes no sense whatsoever. Sorry. :-\

I agree as well. People can see flashes of possible futures. We've got Desmond and probably a couple of psychics who seem to be able to do that.

But the closest thing we've seen to actual time travel was Desmond's flashback with the ring lady, and I'm not sure how much of that was real.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 04:48:06 PM »
I agree.

I agree as well. People can see flashes of possible futures. We've got Desmond and probably a couple of psychics who seem to be able to do that.

But the closest thing we've seen to actual time travel was Desmond's flashback with the ring lady, and I'm not sure how much of that was real.

I'm pretty sure the producers said that he dreamed it. :-\

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:00:51 PM »
I agree.

No in a podcast several months ago they said he went back in time.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 01:38:55 AM »
I think his mind went back in time and relived those events, I dont think it actually all happened again.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 05:43:50 AM »
I think his mind went back in time and relived those events, I dont think it actually all happened again.
If he relived it, it would have been exactly the same as before.  He made some changes.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:55:59 AM »
I would be very disappointed if this turned out to be the case. Almost as bad as its-all-a-dream.

I can't help but think that the over-arcing central theme is redemption but of the sort you are suggestion (do-overs don't count as redemption imo).

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:29:08 PM »
I would be very disappointed if this turned out to be the case. Almost as bad as its-all-a-dream.

I can't help but think that the over-arcing central theme is redemption but of the sort you are suggestion (do-overs don't count as redemption imo).

Me too, on both counts. I also hope that the bit about the Universe self-correcting is not written in stone. Makes the decisions I sweat over kinda pointless, doesn't it? I'm not sure what to make of that episode, but I'm kinda hoping it's something like: You can't change the past in any significant way. Desmond then generalizes this to you can't change the future, but I hope he'll come to see that keeping Charlie alive as long as he did had a lasting effect.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 01:07:31 PM »
I agree.

They said the exact opposite. Desmond did time travel.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:07:52 PM »
I agree.

They said the exact opposite. Desmond did time travel.

Yes producers said he did go backi n time.  Expect more flash fowards also.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »

Yes producers said he did go backi n time.  Expect more flash fowards also.

OK, given that it's real, I hope the message is that going back in time doesn't really matter.  If you change something in the past, the universe will correct itself. I really hope that message doesn't apply to the future. I'd hate to think the present doesn't matter!