Author Topic: Space time warp??  (Read 1943 times)

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Space time warp??
« on: May 25, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »
I am trying my hardest to figure out why so many people keep saying theres a space time warp thing going on. At which point in the show did they even hint at this being a possibility?

Nikki Palou were never Rose and Bernard.
Satalite phone that looks like a yet to be released iPhone is a lame reason.
Desmond not in Charlies flashback, was proven to be differant day.

This just sounds like a cop-out way to prove your point, just like the station binder that Sayid has.

Please present your reasons for believing that there is a time/space anomaly or alternate timelie.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Space time warp??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:59:04 PM »
I beleive what leads ppl to think time warp or whatever is the producers statement in "the answers"  "they are not in hell, not purgatory, they are alive and well somewhere in the (sic) space time continuum.

The only time I have heard this phrase before is Star Trek,  relating to a Character called "Q", who had the ability to travel forwards or backwards thru time or stop time altogether.

Aws soon as I heard them say that this is the first thing that popped into my head,  purely speculation but that is an awfully strange choice of words if it is not some warp of sorts.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
I am trying my hardest to figure out why so many people keep saying theres a space time warp thing going on. At which point in the show did they even hint at this being a possibility?

Nikki Palou were never Rose and Bernard.
Satalite phone that looks like a yet to be released iPhone is a lame reason.
Desmond not in Charlies flashback, was proven to be differant day.

This just sounds like a cop-out way to prove your point, just like the station binder that Sayid has.

Please present your reasons for believing that there is a time/space anomaly or alternate timelie.
I agree entirely. Charlie did not go back in time to program the Looking Glass hatch. I saw that on the fuselage. lol

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:13 PM »
I beleive what leads ppl to think time warp or whatever is the producers statement in "the answers"  "they are not in hell, not purgatory, they are alive and well somewhere in the (sic) space time continuum.

i heard this to and began to think, what if they exist somewhere that is just a bit outside regular space-time. the producers are big fans of s. king, and in his dark tower books he spoke of "little fistulas of time and space" that were seprate, yet connected to regular space time. maybe the island is one of these places, where the world continues to spin around them. this would explain why it is so hard to find the island, if it is in a different plane of reality right next to ours, then it would not always be visable, only when something alerts the outside world to its presance ( like the pulse that was sent out when desmond turned the failsafe key ), can it be found. that is why the sonar beacon was installed so that the island could be located, scince it does not show up on maps or radar.

i know im reaching here but thats what i think

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
The one rule of writing fantasy literature, or science fiction, is that you devise a system of physical rules.....and you stick to them.  On a television series, it's difficult to make such rules clearly known unless you have a narrator (which Lost doesn't). 

So, look at the rules of the system established so far....

North ain't north
Tide came in fast
Nobody can see the island
Electromagnetic waves must be blocked
Aging is different
Healing is different
A monster lurks
Telekinesis, sperm counts, telepathy are rampant
Whispers are there
Past life experiences are intersected and interrelated
Characters are flawed and offered redemption
The monster is judgemental
Some magic box is out there producing things where they shouldn't be
A mysterious figure can make things in a cabin clang
A mysterious voice spoke to Locke
Fertility issues are present among the others

What else?

Some of the observations may be labelled incidental, but the boldface items are systematic and must be unified.  Any simple manipulation of physics can't incorporate all of the story (yes, including the Unifying Theory).  I am a proponent of those who think that Lost is a tribute to Stephen King and other authors and will mix in some science when it needs to.  A space time warp is cliche and would diminish the complexity already woven into the show.  I hope that they give some more creative organizing principle to all of the weirdness.  And that's all I have to say about that one.

scrod

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:42:04 PM »

I think we can be certain there is no magic box, Ben himself said this.  Cooper told us he was in a car accident and then was drugged in the ambulance. 

A space time warp is cliche and would diminish the complexity already woven into the show.
Agree 110%!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »
North ain't north
Tide came in fast
Nobody can see the island
Electromagnetic waves must be blocked
Aging is different
Healing is different
A monster lurks
Telekinesis, sperm counts, telepathy are rampant
Whispers are there
Past life experiences are intersected and interrelated
Characters are flawed and offered redemption
The monster is judgemental
A mysterious figure can make things in a cabin clang
A mysterious voice spoke to Locke
Fertility issues are present among the others
A strong Magnetic charge on the island may cause some of this, such as the north, healing, and electromagnetic invisibilty

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:56:56 AM »

I think we can be certain there is no magic box, Ben himself said this.  Cooper told us he was in a car accident and then was drugged in the ambulance. 

A space time warp is cliche and would diminish the complexity already woven into the show.
Agree 110%!

I agree on both counts. It'd be a little disappointing but the magic box might turn out to be nothing more than a huge pile of money. Or a renewable source of same.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »
Ben and TPTB have said "The Magic Box is a metaphor"

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 12:30:43 PM »
Of course the magic box is a metaphor....but a metaphor for what.  Ben stated that somewhere on this island (there is a place) where anything you ever wanted, anything you imagined, was there.

If you just think of those words describing a machine, there has already been ascribed two qualities.  First, the machine must be able to get inputs about what you want  (does it read your mind?) and, second, it must be able to produce it.

You can now list a plethora of mechanisms for each step and, in the end, one combination will be correct.