Author Topic: Central Theme  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Central Theme
« on: May 24, 2007, 11:42:38 PM »
I really like having this idea to ponder for a few days after the epi.  I can imagine that Curt is very busy right now, so I'll just open it up and see what you guys come up with.  Personally, I think it is something to do with "Be Carefull What You Wish For".

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Central Theme
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
nope i think it's all about the life choices we make and how they effect our (and others) future.  the choice charlie made to sacrifice himself, the choice des made to go down after charlie (okay that was more survival than choice), the choice our three gunmen made to stay behind, the choice hurley made (without it we would have dead gunmen!), etc. etc. 

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 01:11:38 PM »
nope i think it's all about the life choices we make and how they effect our (and others) future.  the choice charlie made to sacrifice himself, the choice des made to go down after charlie (okay that was more survival than choice), the choice our three gunmen made to stay behind, the choice hurley made (without it we would have dead gunmen!), etc. etc. 

What she said!!!

I love this thread. 

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 01:59:56 PM »
We're going with 'regrets'

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
great!  that sort of goes with my initial thought of "choices," but a little deeper.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 02:08:39 PM »

I am not sure that I agree with just regrets, Curt.  I mean, obviously Jack regretted his choice to leave the island and I am thinking Kate might have some regrets about sleeping with Sawyer.  But, I don't think that Charlie felt regret about his decision to sacrifice himself - if he had he could have shut the door from the outside.  I don't think that Hurley had any regrets about his decision to follow Juliet and Sawyer to the beach.  I don't think that Juliet has any regrets about siding with the Losties against Ben. 

I have a tendency to agree with LB.  To me, it was more about accepting the consequences of your decisions no matter what they might be, and Jack seemed to be doing a piss poor job of it.

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 02:32:34 PM »
Just to be clear, there is never any requirement to agree with me. In fact I like it better when there disparate opinions as it makes for better dialog.

Having said that, I agree that Charlie doesn't fir the mold.

Jack, certainly had regrets in the flash forward. I think he even regretted allowing his friends to die (what he thought at the time anyway).

Tom regretted not killing the hostages.
Kate regrets her relationship with Sawyer
Ben regrets that his plan has come unglued and he has lost control.

Hmmm.... my initial thought of 'mistakes' seems a little more pervasive but...

'Choices' seems like it is the most comprehensive (the ultimate litmus test for this concept). Now we can say...

Jack chose to let people die
Bernard did not
Charlie chose to die (despite having an obvious escape)
Locke chose to kill Naomi but not Jack in order to prevent the phone call and then not.
Charlie chose to help despite being rejected
Pryce chose to follow Ben's orders where as Tom argued not to
Kate chose to tell Sawyer about maybe being pregnant
Sawyer chose to be a D(@K about it

Hmmmm

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 03:03:48 PM »
Just to be clear, there is never any requirement to agree with me. In fact I like it better when there disparate opinions as it makes for better dialog.

Having said that, I agree that Charlie doesn't fir the mold.

Jack, certainly had regrets in the flash forward. I think he even regretted allowing his friends to die (what he thought at the time anyway).

Tom regretted not killing the hostages.
Kate regrets her relationship with Sawyer
Ben regrets that his plan has come unglued and he has lost control.

Hmmm.... my initial thought of 'mistakes' seems a little more pervasive but...

'Choices' seems like it is the most comprehensive (the ultimate litmus test for this concept). Now we can say...

Jack chose to let people die
Bernard did not
Charlie chose to die (despite having an obvious escape)
Locke chose to kill Naomi but not Jack in order to prevent the phone call and then not.
Charlie chose to help despite being rejected
Pryce chose to follow Ben's orders where as Tom argued not to
Kate chose to tell Sawyer about maybe being pregnant
Sawyer chose to be a D(@K about it

Hmmmm
and don't forget hurley's choice.  he chose to go with juliet and sawyer and risk himself to help save his friends.
and juliet.  she chose to help sawyer even when she knew she was putting herself in harms way. 

lots and lots of choices.  consequences would go with this too.  these people all made choices thinking that certain things would occur, but the consequences wound up different.  ie:  jack left the island because that's what he's been trying to do since he's been there, yet that's not really what he should have done. 

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 03:21:23 PM »
Time is not "linear"

The choices that we make today alter the tapestry that is tomorrow. Tomorrow is a tapestry woven together by the choices that many individuals make today. Obviously some individuals hold more influence than others over the structure of tomorrow, but ALL have some effect.

I think that we were shown one POSSIBLE future by Jack's flash-forward. NOT necessarily what the future will literally BE.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »
Anyone else get the same feeling as watching season 2 finale?

Jack was so sure about his decision which ends up biting him in the butt. Locke was so sure that nothing would happen in the hatch.

Both said they were wrong at the end of the episode.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »
Time is not "linear"

The choices that we make today alter the tapestry that is tomorrow. Tomorrow is a tapestry woven together by the choices that many individuals make today. Obviously some individuals hold more influence than others over the structure of tomorrow, but ALL have some effect.

I think that we were shown one POSSIBLE future by Jack's flash-forward. NOT necessarily what the future will literally BE.

GIVE THAT MAN A COOKIE!

Will you marry me??? ;)

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 07:06:34 PM »
Hmmmm. You're the same age as me.  ;D

You're female. ;D

But I'm already married. :'(

And a pimp... ;)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks to everyone. I am touched that this thread and it's regular installments have become an item of interest here in the forums. I love it when other people start the thread as I don't want to pollute anyone's thinking with my own ideas too soon. It often takes a day or two for Dan and I to settle what 'we' think and then we don't always agree.

My guess is our show will be a day or two late as we don't have any pressure from an upcoming episode. Thanks again.

scrod

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:42:07 AM »
For central theme, why not look to 'The Looking Glass', not just the underwater facility, but several parallels with the book.
- time moves forward and back in fits and starts
- sometimes you miss moves you should have made (even moves it is illegal not to make)
- along the path, there are many things that do not make any sense at all
- The pawn (John) can reach the other side and became king (well, queen in the book, forgive me for stretching the analogy)

Apologies if this has all been covered elsewhere, too busy to read through everything this week.