Author Topic: Why Does Jack Want To Get Back?  (Read 3705 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Why Does Jack Want To Get Back?
« on: May 24, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
This question, to me, is the elephant in this room.

Jack uses his gold pass every weekend, churns over maps, but continues to tell lies (about what?)....he wants to be back on that island.

Is that because Ben was right in saying, what do you have to go back to Jack?
Is it because of those left behind by Jack and whoever got out?
Is it because he now believes in destiny and that his has been diverted?
Or, something else?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why Does Jack Want To Get Back?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:10:08 PM »
you're right! i just asked him and he said that you were 100 percent correct :) *high five*

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »
well, If I had to guess, I would say it's because he and Kate left, but left everyone else behind... or maybe he, kate, and whoever was in that coffin.

The guilt is probably driving him to insanity... he always fixes situations, and maybe this one is left too open ended.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:06:13 PM »
I also was intrigued by the "I'm tired of lying" comment he made to Kate...I'm assuming that the lying part has to do with whatever happened on the island and curious as to who instructed them to lie, and why. Or did they decide themselves to lie?

Perhaps, since it was assumed that everyone on flight 815 died in the plane wreckage, that only a handful of Losties got off the island (Jack, Kate, Sawyer perhaps, Claire maybe??)...and they have lied about being the only survivors from the plane wreck as to not blow the cover story of finding the wreckage and the bodies of 815 already.

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:36:42 PM »
Well, let's assume that at least Claire and Aaron were rescued.  Plus Jack and Kate.  J+K were given a golden ticket by Oceanic for some reason. 

The world believed that Flight 815 went down deep in the ocean and all hands lost - how can there be any survivors now?  - That is why J+K must lie, we just don't know what the lie is.

Offline Soy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
Another reason that might be adding to Jack's longing to get back to the island is the sudden ailment that he is afflicted with. It seemed that his health was in bad shape & without the "healing powers" of the island to aid him, he is faced with dealing with this "reality", so to speak. Does anyone know what type of medication he was taking/what ailment he is dealing with? I recall his hands trembling when he was looking at the patient's charts....

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:14:13 PM »
This situation reminds me of King's Gunslinger books.  (just about everything does).

Roland prevents Jake from dying and this creates a split in both of their minds because it creates alternate realities.  This split begins to drive them both crazy.  As Ben said to Jack "You aren't supposed to do this."

Jack hopes that getting back to the island or another crash will allow him to "be whole" again.  His decision to use the phone has changed the fabric of existence.  Remember the "time-space continum" comment in the Answers.  This also fits with Des' ending up on the island despite trying to change his decisions i.e. not joining the military.

Offline Dakan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:25:29 PM »
Based on the Flash Forward we know that Jack and Kate get off the island.  Maybe Jack wants to go back because of who he left behind.  Maybe Juliet is left there.  Maybe his depression is a result of missing her. 

The producers have reminded us that Jack woke up on the island.  I am wondering if we are beginning to understand that Jack, in the future, finds a way to get back to the island when the plane crashes.  If that is the connection to the name "Jeremy Banthem."  One of Banthems theories is about time travel.  Maybe his death makes Jacks ability to get back to when the plane crashes more difficult.  I agree I don't think it was the real Banthem, but maybe someone, like Ben, could enable him to get to the island. 

Does that make any sense....?  It would explain Jack staggering out of the Jungle and coming to the plane almost like he can't believe that he is there again, that dazed look he had in the pilot episode.  Like a Deja Vu.........

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 07:51:07 PM »
Isn't it called Stockholm Syndrome--or something to that effect--when you've been held captive, but then sympathize with your captor's outcome or long for the living conditions you were under when held captive?

I think Jack is suffering from this.

Offline Pepsi-Maxx

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 07:54:59 PM »
maybe because his life SUCKS and jack was wrong and turnign into his farther, 2 things he wud hate to do, plus he went through puberty with the old facial hair, I KNEW JACK COULD GROW SOME! YAY YAY YAY

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »
Jack wants to go back because at some point in the future "present" of the series, he will finally realize just how special that island really is. end of story, no people to save and stuff, he wants to be STRANDED again. If he just wanted to save someone, he'd send a rescue mission. duh.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »
I concur. As with all heroes/leaders, when you go back to being one voice in the cosmic fugue, it's just not the same as being the center of attention. Plus he is not with Kate for some reason... and we know how well Jack handles his relationship break-ups.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 08:53:15 PM »
Jack wants to get back because of the great golf course.  Everyone knows that doctors like to golf!  Now, thanks to Hurley, he can't play golf anywhere else.  Well, that and the great DHARMA food!

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 08:54:13 PM »
His life may suck, but Jack says specifically, "We weren't meant to leave the island."  Kate replies, "Yes, we were."

Jack has weathered many storms without going too nuts.  Here, he is just broken and realizes that....as stated above....Ben and Locke were right.  But, right about what?

In the producer's broadcast, they stated that Jack had stopped believing in destiny when his marriage had broken up.  Now, I believe, Jack has been awarded the gift of such knowledge....but only after he had left.  That is why he is broken.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 08:55:54 PM »
This situation reminds me of King's Gunslinger books.  (just about everything does).

Roland prevents Jake from dying and this creates a split in both of their minds because it creates alternate realities.  This split begins to drive them both crazy.  As Ben said to Jack "You aren't supposed to do this."

Jack hopes that getting back to the island or another crash will allow him to "be whole" again.  His decision to use the phone has changed the fabric of existence.  Remember the "time-space continum" comment in the Answers.  This also fits with Des' ending up on the island despite trying to change his decisions i.e. not joining the military.

the jake analogy is exactaly what i was thinking. at some point history diverged from its true course and some how it affects jack profuondly. hes hooked on percs ( just like krusty the clown  ;) ) drinking, trying to kill himself. but when did the time split occur? when they crashed, when he made the call. its very mind boggling.