Author Topic: does Jack become the new "Ben" ?  (Read 922 times)

Offline gnychis

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
does Jack become the new "Ben" ?
« on: May 24, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
Just some thoughts...

Jack says that he is going to kill Ben right before they get rescued so that he knows he failed.  We still don't know much about how Ben became the way he is, but it seems as though there was this sudden change in Ben's life where something was revealed to him by Jacob or someone... like something takes over him and he feels as though he has to protect the island.  Maybe this is because of someone Ben killed?  Did Ben kill Jacob, and this is now why Jacob is this ghost like figure? that haunts Ben and won't talk to him?  Ben is now haunted by whatever it is and feels like he needs to control the island.  Maybe Jack kills Ben and is now taken over by this same will... the need to protect the island.... but the rescue team came and dragged everyone off it.  Now he is stuck and haunted by this need to go back and fix the island.  He comes back to "earth" and he no longer has his job, he has nothing to fix, his destiny is now to fix the island... so he wants to go back. 

Offline darinfic

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: does Jack become the new "Ben" ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:34:16 PM »
i think that person is locke. remember his speech to walt in season one about backgammon. one light, one dark. locke is ben's counterpoint and probably the most important person on the show.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:43:26 PM »
^ agreed.. locke is going to team pu w/ the others and become thier new leader, where Jack will be the losties leader

Offline Dakan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 10:23:23 PM »
I think that Locke will be the new Ben.  He is in tune with the island.  When Ben took Locke to see Jacob he wanted to know if Locke could see and hear Jacob.  I don't think that Ben could see or hear Jacob and it was a test to see just what Locke could do.  Unfortunately, Ben discovers that Locke can hear Jacob.  Ben shoots Locke to test Jacob, to see how important Locke is to Jacob.  If Locke is really important to him, then Jacob will heal him and help him escape his predicament. 

Jack is destined to lead the Losties.  If there is any competition for the leadership there, it will be between Sawyer and Jack.  Jack is more of a leader to get people off the island.  Locke is tied to the island.  He is intrigued with the island and something there is part of his destiny.  Apparently, whether Jack realizes it or not, Jack has a destiny there too.  We see this to be true too in the future flashes.  However, I don't see Jack being the Others leader.  He doesn't have the connection to the island that Locke possesses.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 01:19:15 PM »
I think that Locke will be the new Ben.  He is in tune with the island.  When Ben took Locke to see Jacob he wanted to know if Locke could see and hear Jacob.  I don't think that Ben could see or hear Jacob and it was a test to see just what Locke could do.  Unfortunately, Ben discovers that Locke can hear Jacob.  Ben shoots Locke to test Jacob, to see how important Locke is to Jacob.  If Locke is really important to him, then Jacob will heal him and help him escape his predicament. 

Jack is destined to lead the Losties.  If there is any competition for the leadership there, it will be between Sawyer and Jack.  Jack is more of a leader to get people off the island.  Locke is tied to the island.  He is intrigued with the island and something there is part of his destiny.  Apparently, whether Jack realizes it or not, Jack has a destiny there too.  We see this to be true too in the future flashes.  However, I don't see Jack being the Others leader.  He doesn't have the connection to the island that Locke possesses.

exactly see my topic under Greatest Hits he will become the Colonel Kurtz of the island.