Author Topic: Juliet's sister and her child...  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Juliet's sister and her child...
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2007, 05:25:19 PM »
I just thought this was interesting know that the woman's last name is Arlen.

Harold Arlen was a famous composer.  He wrote this song, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

"Between the devil and the deep blue sea" is an idiom meaning you must choose between two undesirable situations (equivalent to "between a rock and a hard place").

and

In 1938, the team was hired by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to compose songs for The Wizard of Oz. The most famous of these is the song "Over the Rainbow"

If you know the story of the Wizard of Oz, not just the first book, but the series, Dorothy tries everything to go back to Oz:

"Dorothy cannot stop thinking about the Land of Oz and her friends the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman and the Cowardly Lion. One night Dorothy sees a shooting star; the next morning, while checking for eggs from Billina, her yellow hen, Dorothy comes across a key that appears to be sent from Oz by the shooting star."

I just thought this an interesting (possible) connection with the story line of Jack trying to get back to the island.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
Yeah!  Cool, thanks Amy!  I looked up some things on him breifly but I didn't know that he composed for Wizard of Oz.  Well, that just confirms for me that this woman is just a mystery woman and that we haven't met her before.  I don't think the writers would have had Rachel marry someone and change her last name.... thats just a little confusing for viewers.  I like that she represents Jack's.... well... fate almost!

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2007, 05:31:31 PM »
I think it makes sense too.  We weren't supposed to know her, but connect the story-line with her name.  Much like other names in the show, Montand for one, the character had little or no relevance, but the name did.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2007, 05:43:21 PM »
True true!  Good find!  But I have my doubts if we will see her again.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »
Well, if you look at all the literary works that have been used to coincide with the story line, it makes sense for one of them to be The Wizard of Oz by Baum.  We've also seen where Alice in Wonderland by Carroll has been used, many times, too.  I'm sure there are other works of this caliber and it would be interesting to go back and see if we've missed seeing them just because we didn't know we were looking for them.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2007, 10:43:46 PM »
Who in Lost is named Arlen?

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 10:45:17 PM »
Mrs. Arlen is the name of the woman laying in the hospital bed--the one that Jack caused to have an accident.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »

Harold Arlen was a famous composer.  He wrote this song, Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

"Between the devil and the deep blue sea" is an idiom meaning you must choose between two undesirable situations (equivalent to "between a rock and a hard place").

and

In 1938, the team was hired by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer to compose songs for The Wizard of Oz. The most famous of these is the song "Over the Rainbow"

If you know the story of the Wizard of Oz, not just the first book, but the series, Dorothy tries everything to go back to Oz:

"Dorothy cannot stop thinking about the Land of Oz and her friends the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman and the Cowardly Lion. One night Dorothy sees a shooting star; the next morning, while checking for eggs from Billina, her yellow hen, Dorothy comes across a key that appears to be sent from Oz by the shooting star."

I just thought this an interesting (possible) connection with the story line of Jack trying to get back to the island.

Great connection. Thanks for finding it, dearie doodle!

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »

and

Great connection. Thanks for finding it, dearie doodle!

I thought it was just neat to be able to find a connection to the theme of the show.