Author Topic: Who Was Naomi?  (Read 6331 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Who Was Naomi?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:44:22 PM »
A question intimately linked with this thread is who has been attacking the island.  We simply have no good information.  Ben said that they were currently facing a threat that the island had not seen for a few years.  So, have all of the threats come from a single entity?  Is that the reason for the "assignments," to gather intelligence on potential foes?

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »
I just figured some combination of Penny's previous data-gathering activities (through her connections with her father's company, and primarily through the portugese researchers who learned something about the island at the end of season 2) had her constantly monitoring the appropriate frequencies.  When the jamming signal went down, I imagine the computer immediately locked on to the radio frequency, and a little light on her desk lit up just like it did on Charlie's.  Not like she was talking to static already.

However, I am intrigued by the whole Widmore thing.  Maybe the portugese researchers were actually trying to locate the island for Widmore Industries so they could try to expoit the island for their own purposes, but maybe Penny's "borrowing" or "piggybacking" their resources because she has her own reasons to find the island?  (i.e. Desi)

Excellent post.  I'm 100% in agreement.  Penny and "Big Bad Whomever" (Daddy Widmore probably) are using each other's resources, each thinking they're getting away with it undetected.

LOL, ya Naomi is a liar....

Offline jec9000

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 10:05:21 PM »
Well, Naomi apparenty lied about being sent by Penny but why go to such elaborate lengths? Why not just say she is  part of a search crew looking for Flight 815? That would be enough to convince any losties that they are about to be rescued and they would help her. Why try to appeal to Desmond through Penny? Why say that the flight was found with all dead? She could get to the same place, ie having the losties trust her, just by saying she is part of a search crew for them.  Even if she is Dharma or some other evil conglomerate yet to be named, if she was concerned that the "Others" would find her first, why take the chance that they see her "fake" credentials ie the pic of Penny and Des and her story of being sent by Penny? What is the point? Am I missing something?

In summary, I am pondering why she had to orchestrate the Penny Widmore (including the picture) bit if she was just trying to gain the trust of whomever found her on the Island, Others or Losties.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »
Ok, so here's a question I am pondering with all the great reading in this thread:

Who is doing the cover-up of the plane crash??  Is it Naomi's people?  Is it the Others??

Offline Dakan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 12:14:45 AM »
How did Naomi know that she was going to die?  She said to Jack as they were leaving the beach, "I need to show you how this wonderful gadget works, in case anything happens to me."  It must be obvious to her that Jack or for that matter no one else knows how to operate her phone.  It's too new.  And she MUST know something is going to happen to her or why have a back up plan. 

Then when she is killed, knife in the back from Locke, Jack isn't even surprised!  Doesn't even bother to help her.  Wonder if that is because he knows something......futuristic.....?  maybe not.....but it seems to me that Naomi knew something. 

When Jack signals the boat, they are surprised that the Losties have found her.  Maybe that is because they haven't heard from her.  I am wondering if the Island is in some sort of time warp bubble.  It's as if they have "lost" her when she went for the Island.

Any thoughts?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 12:17:17 AM »
hrmm... :-\

I'm pretty sure that the only psychic ne on the island is Des, and his Flashes only pertain to Charlie's impending death

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 04:00:57 AM »
Many questions:

If the off-island Dharma people knew there was conflict with the "Hostiles" (there was a fail-safe in Mikhail's station), did they know all the on-island Dharma people were dead? (They must have believed someone was still alive if they kept making food drops on the island, right?  Was that Mikhail's original mission?)  Did blowing up Mikhail's station spur a search-and-rescue from Naomi (if she's Dharma)?

If the real world thinks everone on Oceanic 815 is dead, will they assume anyone they find on the Island that isn't on the Dharma registry is a Hostile and "kill them all", like Ben said? (But Ben is really a Dharma person, so they should rescue him, along with the Losties, right? Only Locke knows that Ben was involved in killing all the original Dharma people -- Ben didn't specifically explain to Jack how he "made a decision and lots of people died".)

If the real world thinks everyone from the flight is dead, does that mean that Michael and Walt never made it back to the real world (or at least never told anybody who they were?) Naomi can't be sent by them since she thinks everyone from the plane died.

Who was supposed to pick up all of the journals spat up the evacuation tube from The Pearl station? Was that some other on-island station that stopped when Ben killed them all, or an off-island pickup that stopped?

If the island is impossible to find, how does the food-drop plane find it?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2007, 04:15:06 AM »
What exactly did Naomi say concerning being sent by Penny?...I can't remember.

musepsycho

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 05:03:25 AM »
Why is Penny there when Charlie gets through? Why would the hook up go to her?

That deserves it's own thread.  The jamming stops, and poof....there's Penny speaking as if somebody should be there that very instant.  Unless she was yapping at static for the past three months, or three years, how did she know that the jamming would stop at that instant?  Better yet, how did she know the frequency?

The only thing that I can come up with would be for Ms. Widmore, sitting in that plush walnut office, to have some knowledge of what frequency Dharma used to transmit from and a switch that closed when the jamming transmission was terminated.  Of course, last week we debated how a jamming signal would give away your position in the first place.  But, hey, it's television.

Anyway, Ms. Penny either did her homework very well....is working with Ben....is evil herself....or is remarkably lucky.

I think we're supposed to think that Penny has been able to narrow down her search since last season's finale. The Swan collapsed, the sky went purple & Penny's "listening station" got some valuable information on the island's whereabouts & also picked up some radio frequencies. I think that makes sense (for TV!)...

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 09:54:09 AM »
My thought is that it is not the same group that did the cover up but the off-island 'bad guys' (Widmore?) They have been trying to find it for a long time and it doesn't mean they don't show and act friendly while affecting a rescue. The goal is simple to locate and gain access to the 'power' that is the island.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
hrmm... :-\

I'm pretty sure that the only psychic ne on the island is Des, and his Flashes only pertain to Charlie's impending death

I'm gonna latch onto this, JBBaby, because I don't agree.  Isn't Jack psychic now too?  Didn't he just have a HUGE flash?  We all went berserk when he told the Losties at the beach he hadn't "decided what to do" -- he's my hero, but even I wanted Kate to pounce on him and bash his face in  >:( >:( (there, I got that out of my system :D) --- but he didn't know what to do because the island was in the process of showing him HIS FUTURE.  That would have me slightly distracted and bit+++ at everyone!

He has thought he was the hero and that Naomi was helping him.

Yeah, helping him to lose what's obviously become more valuable than anything -- staying on the island.

What a head trip!

Offline Petey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 02:40:41 PM »
My thought is that it is not the same group that did the cover up but the off-island 'bad guys' (Widmore?) They have been trying to find it for a long time and it doesn't mean they don't show and act friendly while affecting a rescue. The goal is simple to locate and gain access to the 'power' that is the island.

I can get with this. Ben did say "people" have been looking for this island for a long time. I think Widmore was the one covering up the crash by planting the fake wreckage and now he's the one there to find the island. He and Penny were using similar means to find the island. Penny trying to find Desmond, and her father trying to find the island knowing Desmond was on it. Don't have a clue what the connection is yet, but it has to be something to do with a Widmore/Dharma connection.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »
I recall that Naomi said her ship was 80 miles offshore.  Does anyone recall whether she said which way it is?  I have to imagine that the boat people would still have some difficulty finding the Losties (although, they can use a map to determine a circular course that is 80 miles out from their current position... eventually, they should get there.)

It just seems that if the island has remained hidden for so long, it should be fairly difficult for some ship to just sail up and find it.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
scince shes lying about who she is whats not to say shes lying about the plane wreckage?  its not like the 815 survivors can check to see if it really was found or not.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »
Dharma is not against the others. The others probably changed the game and took over Dharma already. Simply because Dharma knows where to drop supplies. So the island location is not a secret to THEM.