Author Topic: Goodbye Charlie!  (Read 16019 times)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Charlie!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 04:22:21 AM »
At least he still had his handy Sharpie marker in order to give Desmond one last message.  hee hee  

You know those rock stars... always got to have a Sharpie in case someone wants an autograph.  Especially in underwater hatches!

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 05:37:45 AM »
The Hobbit died a noble death.  Toodles, Charlie.

You All Everybody cheers
*Des8

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
At least he still had his handy Sharpie marker in order to give Desmond one last message.  hee hee 

You know those rock stars... always got to have a Sharpie in case someone wants an autograph.  Especially in underwater hatches!
...or to write down their Top 5 Greatest Hits in life before entering said underwater hatch. ;)

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 06:09:27 AM »
Charlie went out in style!  The code was programmed by a musician.  It was Charlie's fate!  It's still very sad, though.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 06:24:21 AM »
I never cared for the lil guy before. But watching them set this scene up in the other last episode made me tear up! It was sad to see someone KNOW they were going to die and try to think thru all of the good moments and write them down. And tonight...lil dude was all heroic when he died. I love his character now but I realize not everyone can stay on the show forever.

RIP Chalay!

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »
chelle, you are heroic in your waiting for charlie to die. he wasnt meant to be yet.

i am not saying he is still alive, i am saying his death was uncalled for.

fuc* his death, CHARLIE IS ALIVE!

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 09:59:11 AM »
ALL THE THREADS YOU HAVE STARTED AND THE BEST TITLE YOU CAN COME UP WITH IS NOOOOOOOOOOOO? :-\

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »
I am not holding out for him to turn up alive, but plain and simple, there was a way for him to be saved!!  That window that Mikhail blew out, once that room was filled with water, could have been swam out of.  Plus, why didn't Charlie just run out of the room and pull the door shut behind him??!!  The weight of the water would have held the door shut, since it opened to the inside of the room, and then Charlie and Des could've used the scuba stuff to get out!! 

What makes me even angrier is that I have not liked Charlie really this whole DAMN show, and now I am peeved to see him go out like that!!

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
I dunno what to say.  I can't say I'm sure he's dead.  And not for the easy excuse of "because this is LOST."  But first...

Charlie shut the door for two reasons that have been said:  One... because he assumed he had to drown for Claire and Aaron to get on the choppuh.  Two... because he knows Desmond would have done whatever he could to get in front of that viewer, even if it meant he'd die.

People say Charlie could have saved himself by swimming through the window... but when the one-eyed Lazarus tapped on the window, only his head and one of his hands, pressed against the window, could be seen... that's not big enough for Charlie's body to fit through.  People have also said that there was probably no way to close the door from the outside.  I thougt that, too, until they showed Desmond pounding on it.  It had a valve thingie on it (assuming it has a special name) that means it could have been locked from the outside.  Sort of like *gasp* flood doors on boats and subs.  They have to be closeable from both sides... they wouldn't be designed for someone to have to die no matter what.

That being said... shortly after what we saw in the episode... Desmond may have forced the door open, mouth to mouthed our rockstar friend, and they may've run for their life.  Given how fast the water rushed through the window, it would've taken a long time to fill up the entire station before Charlie and Desmond would have been overcome.

As for charlie having a sharpie... I found it sort of poetic.  He'd become entrenched in fate the latter half of this season... and he used that sharpie to write said word on his knuckles in the pilot.  Look where he ended up... WITH his sharpie.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »
I think Charlie had to close the door from his side, I remember seeing latches (only on the inside) that could be turned sideways so ( i assume) the pressure would not force the door open,  had he closed it from the outside and only spun the handle that would not have held back the pressure of the water and the whole station would have flodded quite rapidly (I would think faster than they would have been able to get into the scuba gear) had the door burst open.

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »
I am with you, JBR.  I couldn't even watch the finale.  And I don't think I ever will.  I know people are going to think I'm stupid or crazy, but 1.  I don't generally watch anything with alot of violence or death.  2.  I thought it was senseless to kill off Charlie (or any main character.)

Charlie had to go because:

1.  To fulfil Desmond's flashes.  This was stated by one of the creator/writer guys in an interview with one of the TV columnists.  They had started a storyline and they were going to finish it.

2.  They had done all they could with Charlie and didn't want to make him an addict again according to an interview also.  This is SO LAME it makes me ill.  There were so many wonderful, interesting, and thought provoking things that could have been done with this character, but they opted for the easy out that would give them a ratings increase in my opinion.

3.  The actor was told in Feb. of this year and at first was upset.  But has tried to make the best of it.  This effected his personal and business life.  (Interview with Dom by that Kristen(sp) person)...  The Ego Two stated that they could let anything effect the decision they made and that Dom was a true professional about all of it.  The Ego Two= Evil ...to me now. 

4.  Who really knows what anyone was thinking.  It was not a good move in my opinion for the average viewer like me.  I don't search deep (but do love reading all the opinions and theories) and I feel vested in characters I've been watching for 3 seasons.  It was a stupid way to die and if Patchy can keep coming back like a cartoon, then Charlie should have been given that chance too.  Desmond's flashes to way to vague and after the last episode of LOST, I wonder if all the foretelling with mean anything at all.

Charlie died because the Ego Two decided to play god and kill him.

Thanks for letting me express my opinion and feelings about this.  I guess I just valued the character more than to say, "What the hell, the Hobbit is dead."

Great success to the actor.  He's the only one that seemed to have his ego in check.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »
Dizzy, I have to say that if you don't watch the finale, you are missing out on the absolute best two hours to ever come to television. Even though Charlie dies.

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
You have to watch the Finale.  It was awesome
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Jeronimo Jackson

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 05:59:35 PM »
Because everyone picked on him to death like buzzards! :-[

I'm sorry you're sad.  :'( I'm sure WHEN I SEE IT I'll be blubbering like a ninny :'( :'( :'(

lol. "razzle dazzle!" 

In all seriousness, though, Charlie, who is the character I've hated more than anyone & wanted to punch in the face the most, caused the most mayhem yet reached the largest arc.  LOST seems to follow the beat of both your epic and saga drums at times, and with that said, that meant that either way, it was probably time (or maybe a little past...) for Charlie to go. 

Either way, it was a well-shot scene.  The character handled it well, and one who'd typically force-feed contrived heroic or even tritely over-the-top notions down the viewers' throats managed to land a real grand slam with, perhaps, the most noble final scene a character has had yet.  Even the biggest of Charlie fans can find solace in that!

The producers must go with what the fans want, though, after all:  It's network television, suffice to say.  Follow the masses, what's good for the hive is good for us.  If just a few more loved him, he'd have survived, and another supporting character could've taken his place (without losing story centrality or pacing), yet if just a few more hated him, his final scene would've lost the chivalry, and Billy Dee Williams would've shown up to shoot him.

Has anyone else noticed the Quentin Tarantino undertones?  (i.e. buried alive, the black mamba type speech, Cobra = Deadly Viper parallel, dialogue coincidences in the finale too)  There seems to be some Kill Bill II influence, apparently the script-writers are fans of Q.T.

-Psychology Station
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:12:26 PM by Psychology Station »

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 06:37:12 PM »
Actually, Psch Station, contrary to popular belief, Charlie is one of the most beloved people on LOST. He just had a short storyline. His arc basically ended in the sixth episode when he gave up his drugs. Then they tried unsuccessfully to bring him back.

He was my favorite LOST character, and one of the best LOST actors, imho. You will be sorely missed by all of your fans, Charlie, and Dominic