Poll

Who do you think was in the Coffin at the funeral home?

Locke
23 (19.3%)
Sawyer
10 (8.4%)
Walt
1 (0.8%)
Jacob
5 (4.2%)
Ben
34 (28.6%)
Someone we have not met yet
29 (24.4%)
Other/Not Listed (Please explain)
17 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: November 20, 2007, 02:54:16 PM

Author Topic: Who was in the coffin?  (Read 45874 times)

Offline jec9000

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Who was in the coffin?
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »
It was Michael in the coffin.  

My reasons? When I saw the funeral director my first thought was it could be Michael.  Then when Kate acted so incredulous about going to the funeral/viewing, I figured it had to be somebody really loathsome, so putting two and two together I surmised it was Michael.  With all the unanswered questions out there about where everybody is in the "now", why couldn't it be Michael?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2007, 08:32:17 PM »
{B}antham could be a place in New York. There looks like there's enough fold to type John Locke in Banthan of New York... or something like that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:43:02 PM by JBRam_2002 »

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »
Michael does not begin with J... !

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
Yes, that could be it too...

I thought of that, we really need to see that news paper, this will lead to madness for months till next season ::)

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
I voted Ben.

I'm going with the speculation on the SWLS home page that the name in the news article is Jeremy Bentham, and it's an alias used by somebody who got off the island.  TPTB like to use names of philosophers, (John Locke, etc...) and this Jeremy Bentham's bio about the prison philosophy really fits in with Ben.  I'll guess Ben was somehow forced by Jack to accompany them off the island as punishment.  He took an alias name, but couldn't function off-island, so he hung himself.  Jack feels guilty because something happens in Season 4 or 5 that proves Ben was right in trying to stop Jack from contacting the boat, and Jack goes to the funeral to apologize (like on the bridge "Forgive me"...{I'm an idiot, you really WERE the good guys...})

Kate seemed to me to be reacting like "ME?  WHAT?  Why in the world would I ever go to HIS funeral?" and her face seemed to harden like she hated him.  She'd hate Ben after all he did to her.

Ben probably wouldn't have any family attend his funeral (Alex maybe?  Unless she's toast... which would be another reason for his suicide...) and he would be considered neither friend nor family by Jack.

So I'll stick with Ben.  For now.   :)

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »
By the size of the coffin I would risk Ben. Jack want to go back on the island, and he just lost the only link.
Besides no one showed up and Kate had a "who cares" posture about the demise.
That made me think immediately on Ben.

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »
My guess is Locke. A lot of you have already heard why, but for those of you not in the "loop" (and believe me, unless you want 50 messages in an hour, you don't want to be there) here it is

Jack said he was neither friend nor family. This narrows it down to the men on the island that he wouldn't consider a friend or family, and which haven't died yet.

This consists of Ben, Locke, Sawyer, and possibly Sayid, although I think Jack would consider Sayid a friend.

Kate was keeping someone waiting when she met Jack. That means she was living with someone. Since she only said "him" instead of a name, I'm assuming that Jack knows who he is. That means he is from the island. Kate has had relationships wiht Jack, Sawyer, Sayid, and Charlie, with the most prominent one being Sawyer. If Kate was with Sawyer, then Sawyer is not in the coffin.

No one showed up to the funeral. That means the person had no family or friends. If this is a person from the island, then the majority of people would at least have one person there who knew them. Sawyer had Kate and his daughter (if he ever finds her). Sayid has Nadia. Ben has no one, and Locke has no one. Most people will probably think of Locke as a traitor.

I doubt that Jack allows Ben to leave the island.

This narrows it down to Locke, or someone we haven't met yet. I feel confident that it is Locke.

Makes the most sense.  I voted this way.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2007, 09:56:26 PM »
{B}antham could be a place in New York. There looks like there's enough fold to type John Locke in Banthan of New York... or something like that.

I don't think I have ever seen a newspaper refer to a city as XXX of {State} (eg, Los Angeles of California).  So it seems to me that the "ntham" would have to be part of the last name.  Plus, it's a lot easier to say that it's no one we've met because that opens up the odds to millions!  So I went with the odds... no one we've met yet.   :)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2007, 10:01:17 PM »
You made a few assumptions there JB. Why can't Kates guy be someone we do not know, some one not on the island. Jack has kept in contact with Kate, he would know whoever she was with at least know who she is talking about.

We have 3 years of shows left, there could be many more people who they interact with on the island that we do not know.

Your reasoning is pretty good, but it is incomplete because of unknowns. Even Sayid has Nadia, they have not been in contact since he let her go in Iraq. Not sure if she is waiting around for him.

Offline gnychis

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2007, 10:32:38 PM »
Heres an idea...

One cliffhanger of the season was whether or not Kate is pregnant.  Her tent was marked (I think), and she was supposed to be checked.  We know she slept with Sawyer, and then they argue over whether or not she is pregnant.  He says something along the lines where she better hope she isn't.  It seems as though he is at the point where he is completely dismissing her.  She is upset over this.

When they get off the island, time passes, Kate finds out she is pregnant, and it is his baby.  However Sawyer is back out in the world, and he always believed people never change... so she's likely out conning people and he will not spend time with Kate.  For this, Kate is bitter at Sawyer.  Sawyer ends up dying in a con, and Jack is the only one to attend the funeral.  No one else knows who he is, or even what his real name is to recognize it in the paper, aside from the Losties who learned his real name.  This is why no one shows up... and he was never family or friend to Jack... but he still went hoping to see Kate there.

In the final scene, Kate asks why she would go, considering she ended on bad terms with him. 

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2007, 10:39:42 PM »
I suppose it is possible, but unlikely.  His real name was James Ford.  That is not what the paper said.  It could be another alias, but I don't see that.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2007, 10:57:33 PM »
Your options and my thoughts:
Locke Why would Locke have NO ONE at his funeral? And I don't think the coffin was large enough for John Locke. Locke would have a few more people at his funeral.

Sawyer Again, the size bothers me. And I don't think Sawyer would have NO ONE there as well. His current "con" would even join in mourning the death. AND...would Jack REALLY cry over Sawyer's death? I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.

Walt  Where's his family? He'd have someone as well.

Jacob I don't see Jack becoming emotional of this death either.

Ben  Jack WOULD cry if he didn't CAUSE Ben's death. But not OVER his death. IMO.

Someone we have not met yet

Other/Not Listed (Please explain)

Last two are more possible in my book. I chose Someone we haven't met yet.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2007, 11:00:08 PM »
I know exactly who that is in the coffin!!  Although we don't know his/her name, this person is the one who started the Christian Lives movement back in Season 1!!  They were lynched by SWLSers!! 

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2007, 11:04:42 PM »
LOLOLOL
ND

I'm with you!!!

(just don't keep telling out loud that we murdered someone.. ;))

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2007, 11:05:37 PM »
 ;)