Poll

Who do you think was in the Coffin at the funeral home?

Locke
23 (19.3%)
Sawyer
10 (8.4%)
Walt
1 (0.8%)
Jacob
5 (4.2%)
Ben
34 (28.6%)
Someone we have not met yet
29 (24.4%)
Other/Not Listed (Please explain)
17 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Voting closed: November 20, 2007, 02:54:16 PM

Author Topic: Who was in the coffin?  (Read 30726 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Who was in the coffin?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 02:01:51 AM »
Ben.

Does anyone have a screencap of the obituary?

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 02:03:32 AM »
It was a man who was found dead by hanging from a loft.  Another site had a bit clearer shot of the obit.  The MAN'S name started with a J....could be Locke or Sawyer.  Any other J men?  Or Jin.  But here are 2 things to go with that.  Jack was crying about it, then wanted to kill himself and then he had hoped that Kate would be there.  Then Kate blew it off with a why would she go there.  So I would think Sawyer.  Something happens between them before they got rescued, but would Jack cry about it?  Maybe it's someone yet to come.  

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 02:04:19 AM »
i know im reachin but maybe michael, after all we saw walt, and i dont think jack cared for mike much after he found out about libby and anna

Offline YerMom

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 02:05:55 AM »
It was a man who was found dead by hanging from a loft.  Another site had a bit clearer shot of the obit.  The MAN'S name started with a J....could be Locke or Sawyer.  Any other J men?  Or Jin.  But here are 2 things to go with that.  Jack was crying about it, then wanted to kill himself and then he had hoped that Kate would be there.  Then Kate blew it off with a why would she go there.  So I would think Sawyer.  Something happens between them before they got rescued, but would Jack cry about it?  Maybe it's someone yet to come.   

Jacob?

I am willing to bet it is whoever made this whole thing happen. Whoever is pulling the strings behind the island and made all their lives hell.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:24:34 AM by YerMom »

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 02:06:31 AM »
How did you know it was a man? 

(I'm not doubting you -- just wondering...)

Edit:  Never mind, now I see the screencap...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:06:39 PM by Madam P »

Offline newerakb

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 02:07:22 AM »
I say Juliet or Ben's funeral. Not Sawyer's, since Kate is probably married to him. Not Locke's, since Kate wouldn't have a reason to say that there's no reason she would go. I'm leaning towards Juliet, since it seems like for Jack to get that emotional over it and cry like that, would take the death of a woman he loved or used to love. Though Kate's reaction would be consistent with either Ben or Juliet.

I think next season might see the losties and the others cooperating to fight the newcomers on the boat together, so Jack and Ben might become closer...but I doubt close enough for him to care that much about his death.

Offline YerMom

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 02:08:50 AM »
Does anyone recall in the beginning when Jack got off the plane and called someone about the obit? It sounded like "Penny, it's me. I just read..." (or whatever). But I heard PENNY.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 02:09:32 AM »
I noticed that the funeral home was in a black neighborhood and the funeral director was also black.  I would assume it was a black character that was there.  What about Jack and Kate living in LA?  Are any of the characters from LA now?  I have to go with Michael maybe? I know he was from NY but still.  Who Rose??  Not.  Although without being on the island maybe she died from her cancer?!?  hmmm  Oh hell now I have confused myself.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 02:14:11 AM »
I thought it was either a kid's funeral or a midget's funeral since the coffin looked small.  I'm guessing whoever it is, it will be significant to the overall show since they teased us with it and never told us who it was.

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 02:16:02 AM »
How did you know it was a man? 

(I'm not doubting you -- just wondering...)

Yes, it could be Jacob too.  I forgot about him.  Here is a link to another website that shows a better view of the obit. It says a man was found hung in a loft.  Name starts with a J.  Jacob, Jin, James, John.   Hmmm

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 02:17:38 AM »
Jack was called a hero, again.  That, and the gold pass to fly anytime, means that the world new about those from flight 815 who made it back.  We must consider that, particularly with a suicide, somebody....even the press....would have taken notice and showed up to the service.  But, if it were a person who was not on 815....either Ben or Rousseau....the world would be unaware of them.  Both have been out of the country for over 16 years and the press may not have even known about either of them.

Rousseau has stated that she would not leave the island....but that may change when Alex starts wanting to see the world or gets pregnant with Karl's love child.  Ben, most adamant about protecting the island, may be Napoleon exiled to the island of Crete....or in this case, California.  He, of all those on the island, has the most to fear if another entity comes into power.  He runs, is in a world that he doesn't belong, and kills himself.  

The newspaper may give an alias in the obit, but it's Ben.  Let's take a poll and track it over the next 7 months.

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 02:20:36 AM »
My money's on Locke, but I'd also believe Walt or maybe someone we haven't met yet.  The whole "flash forward" is building up to Jack's discussion with Kate about how he wants nothing more than to get back to the island, about how they were never supposed to leave.  Contrast that with Locke's discussion with Jack at gunpoint, where he tells Jack that he is not supposed to make the call, and Jack does it anyway (with Locke walking off in disgust).  Jack's decision to go against Locke leads them all to get rescued (eventually), including Locke unwillingly.  Kate has no reason to go to Locke's funeral because she (and everyone else that is glad they got rescued) saw Locke increasingly as a force trying to prevent their rescue.  Jack was crying because something that happened before the rescue convinced him that Locke was right, but he had already put things in motion...

Having said all that, viewing the coffin, I also thought it looked too small.

Offline exorcst

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 02:21:03 AM »
Who had no one that would show up at funeral?
Sawyer, Locke, and Ben, probably..

Also did you notice the neighborhood it waas in? Seemed like a predominately black neighborhood, well at least all the people they showed.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 02:21:40 AM »
I am not sure if the J is for the name. But is clearly says that he is from New York. Who is from New York. Not sawyer, not Jin and was Locke?

Offline YerMom

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 02:22:38 AM »
I noticed that the funeral home was in a black neighborhood and the funeral director was also black.  I would assume it was a black character that was there.  What about Jack and Kate living in LA?  Are any of the characters from LA now?  I have to go with Michael maybe? I know he was from NY but still.  Who Rose??  Not.  Although without being on the island maybe she died from her cancer?!?  hmmm  Oh hell now I have confused myself.

I agree whoever dies must be black and due to the small coffin, perhaps Walt. Weren't we told he is "special" last season? Remember the black woman in the tent who said that??