Author Topic: "Present" or "Future"  (Read 14276 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "Present" or "Future"
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
Jack was shown being served a drink by Cindy on that plane.  Yes, he awakens in the jungle alone, but he doesn't appear to have any knowledge of having been on the island before.  If he is allowed to return to the island, it would be most plausible to place it at the same time he chose to leave it....the phone call.  But, that has it's problems.  First, you don't have either a scientific or mystical basis for Jack's reentry.  If you had Jack standing before the magic box and allowed him a "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of moment, then once the experience is over.....Jack has a whole new appreciation of things.

Perhaps the rescue will fail....for now.  The monster has been conspicuously quiet towards the end of the season.  Will the monster fulfill its role as a security system (Rousseau)?  Will the group make their way to the Temple and find the magic box?  Is that what we were getting a glimpse of....Jack's life off of the island via the magic box.....If so, then now you have the story vehicle for his return and it all comes together.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
What if Kate transferred realities to such a point that she married her childhood sweetheart?  Just because we see Jack and Kate together does not mean that they have been back to "the real world" for the same length of time.

Kate may retain her memories of the island but, because she reconnected to her past at a point sooner in her life, she has been back for many years.  Maybe Kate did not make the same mistakes....running, killing her father, robbing banks.....but has made others.  She may still be on the run, but for different reasons, and Ms. Hawking's rules or reality would still apply.

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »
I think they did get off the island. I believe Jack has major regrets. He has been trying to get back to the island where he is supposed to be. He knows he made a mistake by leaving and now he is looking for the island himself. Remember, he was wrong about other things on the island.....pushing the button and Ben to name a few. It is sad to see Jack so broken. He knows now he felt ALIVE on the island and longs for that feeling again....POOR JACK.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2007, 03:16:07 PM »
on a related note... if Jack is aware of his future he can take measures to change the outcome. If he is not he could still make changes that would affect the future and not know it. He wouldn't know if he were getting it right though. He would only find out if someone told him like the Clock lady told Desmond, right? (or if he woke up with andie macdowell in his bed). Has someone told Jack he is affecting the future(s)?

It seemed like Jack had no plans of being rescued along with the losties. He tells Tom over the walkie that he is going to get them all rescued and then go kill him. Does this mean he's staying behind? Again raises the question of whether Jack is aware of his "future" or not.

p.s. I think the eye-ball shots are when people change or have changed the future. Like when we first see Jack's eye opening in the jungle.

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »
on a related note... if Jack is aware of his future he can take measures to change the outcome. If he is not he could still make changes that would affect the future and not know it. He wouldn't know if he were getting it right though. He would only find out if someone told him like the Clock lady told Desmond, right? (or if he woke up with andie macdowell in his bed). Has someone told Jack he is affecting the future(s)?

It seemed like Jack had no plans of being rescued along with the losties. He tells Tom over the walkie that he is going to get them all rescued and then go kill him. Does this mean he's staying behind? Again raises the question of whether Jack is aware of his "future" or not.

p.s. I think the eye-ball shots are when people change or have changed the future. Like when we first see Jack's eye opening in the jungle.

i think jack meant, after i make this call im coming looking for you before we get rescued.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2007, 03:39:58 PM »
I just think it's more than regrets.

I believe that somehow...when the Losties get off the island, they do so at a great cost. Not just a cost to themselves, but a bigger cost. Like...something just isn't right. So Jack feels like they need to go back to the island.

Kind of like how Marty McFly had to go back to the 1950's after he realized that the future was changed due to Future Biff telling his 1950's self about the power of the sports almanac, so he became rich and corrupt and made Marty's mom get big hooters. Marty had to undo it.

I predict:
Season 4 - Naomi's people come in and become worse than the Others. The Others and Losties must band together to fight them. The secret of the island is revealed and Jack comes to understand why the Others do what they do.
Season 5 - Losties find their way off the island but make a huge sacrifice to do so.
Season 6 - Life back in 'reality' (whichever reality it is) is bad. So the remaining Losties make a quest back to the island and fix whatever it is they broke. And so the cycle continues.

Offline Fallybear

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Is Jack going to "wake up" back on the island as Desmond did after getting whacked in the Pub. What traumatic event will send him back from his "future" ? Once back on the island, will Jack realize that his future sucks and that Locke was right when he said "You weren't supposed to do that Jack". I think Jack then realizes his mistake in using the Sat phone and will have to make a decision to "fix" the situation. It kind of reminds me of the movie Butterfly Effect when every change in reality made by Ashton Kutcher made later realities worse.

Offline exorcst

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2007, 07:20:34 PM »
I just watched the first few minutes of the  "answer" show they had on last week. And the producers mentioned that they will tell us the past, present and future.

Offline Dakan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
Just a thought.....what if Jack died in the plane crash....?  Remember that the day of Flight 815 crashing Juliet tells Ben that he has a tumor that is growing on his spinal cord.  Ben later tells Jack that the Island brought a spinal surgeon to the island.  What if indeed the Island did bring a spinal surgeon to the island.....but through the "Magic Box" only it was Jack from another reality!  In order for that to happen, two Jacks can't be in the same reality.  So, the Island brought him there to save Ben, but also for Jack to "fix" things that he had messed up in his own destiny. 

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »
Nah the island brought Christian to save ben. Just so happens that Christian is dead.

Was he a spinal seurgon too?

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2007, 10:22:43 PM »
i think it is the end. every thing from here till the final show is a flash back.

I like this.  I think that would be very odd and crazy and amazing but the more I thought about it.  This format would never work as people would drop likes flies the next 3 seasons. 

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2007, 10:23:49 PM »
The flashback near the end claimed they got a "Golden Pass"  "Jack is tired of Lying"  & "Kate is married" 

I don't know but if Locke stayed like we know he did....He is the new Apocalypse Now Marlon Brando

Bump....any takers on what "Golden Pass" and "Tired of Lying" is all about?

Offline Dakan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2007, 10:25:39 PM »
Want to modify my last reply.  When I said that when Jack wakes up in the jungle, not coming from the plane.....well, maybe that is the Magic Box we have yet to learn about.  If it brought him to the Island to fix Ben and repair what he did (making the call on Naomi's phone) then Jack could come back from the "Flash Forward" we saw in the finale.  Right?  He doesn't come from an alternate reality, he just comes back from the future.  That is what I meant to say.  Ooops!

Offline Ailiu

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »
In the very first flashforward, I saw somebody sitting behind Jack on the plane that I thought looked like Jin.  I didn't notice Sun -- need to check it out again.
I thought I saw her in the very first flashforward.  ;D  But I wasn't really giving the show my undivided attention at that moment (was taking care of pets), so maybe it was someone else and my mind just turned it into Sun. :-\

When I saw Jack taking those pills from his bottle, I mentioned to my dad that he turned into House! :D  He even had the beard and general negative attitude.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:04:32 AM by Ailiu »

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2007, 12:07:32 AM »
The magic box is a metaphor.  Ben cleared that up for us.  There is no literal magic box.