Author Topic: Will the real main character please stand up?  (Read 6174 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Will the real main character please stand up?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 01:56:16 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protagonist

You mean I was right??

Dear heavens, I remembered all that from Lit class back in the 19--- never mind!!!

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 09:15:01 AM »
KATE - the whole show is centered on Kate.
BTW - The yet undiscovered strong female lead, as in Alias...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »
I have to go with Jack in all seriousness, especially after last night. I don't like his character, but he's the main protagonist.

Offline airdudei

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 11:43:11 PM »
I would go with Sawyer and/or Locke, but why do we always see a Jack flashback to begin and end a season!? No complaint at all because this season 3 finale was easily the best finale EVER in TV history.

The best moment in TV history as well was Hurley's Rescue in the Van! My Lord, that was so awesome, and I was out of my seat the entire scene! Great.

Back to the topic though, Locke certainly has so much depth to his character and Sawyer at the beginning of Lost was more of an antagonist towards everyone, but has become the best rebellious character of Lost, which really captivates a lot of fans.

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 11:46:54 PM »
Jack!  Hopefully he will TOTALLY just stand up one day and be the man we all want him to be!

Offline airdudei

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 11:47:58 PM »
I think in the terms you have presented, you have Jack as the protagonist.

Ben is an antagonist (leader vs leader)
Locke is an antagonist (science vs faith)
Sawyer is an antagonist (the battle for Kate)

Kate and Juliet are the objects of his affection
Claire is his unknown sister
Desmond is in his flashback (don't know if it's important)
He was the desire of the Others - turns out Kate and Sawyer were captured purely as motivation

Jack has been at the center of every season finale - the discovery of the hatch, the attempt to attack the Others and whatever is in store tonight.

Yeah Jack is the so-called leader, but I think Locke's character and mission to control the others will lead Locke to either be the leading protagonist or leading antagonist.

And as far as Jack being the protagonist in the Kate battle, I beg to differ, Sawyer this season has become the protagonist with Jack and his expose with the Others and Juliet. Jack this season finale has definitely regained his trust with everyone and could become the leading protagonist he once was during season 1.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 11:50:21 PM »
According to Cuse, There are three main characters: Jack, Kate, and Charlie. They just killed Charlie.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
They were main because they were the first three seekers -- went to the cockpit together.  This is an extremely important theme on this island.

Charlie became a man on the island.  His quest ended when he became resolved to his death -- as Hamlet is finally able to say before he dies "The readiness [to meet death] is all."  And he went out in glory!  He was even able to cross himself again.  Sins forgiven -- "Washed Away" (I'll always contend that the use of that song in the first ep following the pilot eps is a main theme).  It was hard to watch him die, but it was a beautiful death.

Jack realized in 3x22 that what he has been seeking and questing after all these long months -- to get off the island and to be the ONE WHO CAUSES IT TO HAPPEN -- was a false goal.  He has to do some major course correcting.

Kate is still in the banyan tree counting to 5.  She doesn't want paradise.  She doesn't want to truly connect with the one who might really love her.  Will she change her mind?

Can she? 

Dang.  The next 3 years are going to be stellar!

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 07:15:33 PM »
definately   DESMOND

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 08:54:40 PM »
WOO HOO, GO DESMOND!  I think he is a GREAT character and this season has just totally opened him up I hope he gets Penny in the end!

scrod

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 10:36:04 PM »
In a way it seems to early to tell.  I think about The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which has a number of primary characters that grow and change throughout the story, but in the end it is Sam's story.  However, you don't really find this out until the very end.

Personally, I can see the story ending with Locke as king of the island and everyone else leaving.  But there are other possibilities, too.  How about Aaron, 'the story of my birth and childhood'.

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 03:54:33 PM »
I was thinking, if they jump ahead a few years like it seems they did, then have flashbacks to the island when they got off or whatever we might be able to see Aaron get older, I mean with the seasons so far it seems only so many days are in a season, but now POOF we have jumped ahead a bit and might see more growth in some of the characters.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2007, 04:04:23 PM »
I LOVE ALL YOUR IDEAS!!!!!

I'm so glad I started this thread so you could all GET ME THINKING!!!

:-* :-* :-*

Offline toadsage

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
In a way it seems to early to tell.  I think about The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which has a number of primary characters that grow and change throughout the story, but in the end it is Sam's story.  However, you don't really find this out until the very end.

Personally, I can see the story ending with Locke as king of the island and everyone else leaving.  But there are other possibilities, too.  How about Aaron, 'the story of my birth and childhood'.

very nice idea. i do think its aaron. remember the psycic said that no one but claire must raise him? maybe so he can be alive to tell the story. jacks flash forward may be a flash back for aaron if its really 2019 or somthing.

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 05:29:04 PM »
According to Cuse, There are three main characters: Jack, Kate, and Charlie. They just killed Charlie.

Really?  I think that's odd.  They wasted the Charlie character in too many episodes.  Although, he was the first to ask, "Where are we".

I guessed Jack right off the bat and if we are seeing a flashforward (gasp the game changer).........then it's Jack.   I don't see the TPTB being that forward thinking to make the hero a female.