Author Topic: If I Had Creative Control Over Lost....  (Read 2876 times)

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
If I Had Creative Control Over Lost....
« on: May 22, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
Not very long ago, Sledgeweb reported that Lost fans were storming with torches and pitchforks. I think this is because the Lost writers haven’t follow an important rule for a serialized series: No single primary question can be allowed to go more than about one season before answering it.

Now, I’m not saying the writers should have explained smokie at the end of season one. But I think smokie shouldn’t have been introduced yet.

If I had creative control over Lost, I would have moved the backstory of “Walkabout” to the finale of season one. Throughout the season, the primary questions the audience would have been asking are: “Why does Locke have such a strong faith in the island? And what is his miracle?” And the big season finale reveal would have been that Locke miraculously could walk after being paralyzed.

This would have given the audience a sense of satisfying closure. They would have gotten a clear answer to the questions they’d been asking. And at the same time, it would have given the audience a sense that the story they’ve been watching just got a lot bigger.

If you can imagine the first season played out this way, then let me know what you think of it.

As it actually is, Lost’s season one finale didn’t replace our old questions for new ones. In the pilot, we were asking: “What is the monster in the jungle?” In the finale, we saw that the monster was a cloud of black smoke. But fans were still saying: “Okay.... So, what is the monster in the jungle?” The question never actually changed, so we feel like nothing was answered. And the fan frustration grows.

The writers presented too many mysteries too fast.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: If I Had Creative Control Over Lost....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 02:41:23 PM »
I'm personally glad that there are so many unanswered questions. It keeps me coming back for more. If I knew what Smoky was and who Jacob is, then I wouldn't give a crap about this show anymore! Don't tell me yet! Keep me guessing until the Series Finale!

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »
I’m *not* saying you would know all those answers yet. I’m saying those mysteries shouldn’t have been presented until former ones have been dealt with.

Here’s an example of how I think a mystery could have been better structured. Near the beginning of season one, we were clearly meant to know that Walk has some kind of special, telekinetic-ish power. And now here we are, almost three years later, and still no closer to understanding it.

I don’t think we should’ve been told so early that Walt has a special power. All we needed to know at the time was that the Others specifically, and almost desperately, wanted Walt. So the question we would have been asking is: “Why, of all people, do they want Walt?” And that question would last for about one season. And only then would we get the backstory that explicitly tells us about Walt’s special powers. This way we’d feel satisfied because we would have gotten a clear answer our question. And our old question would be replaced by a new one: “What is Walt’s special power?” And this way, we wouldn’t have been asking that particular question until the end of season two, which would put it in perfect position to be answered one season later, at the end of season three.

Instead, the writers recklessly threw it out at the beginning of the show and let it stagnate for three years.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 03:20:21 PM by FeelLikeANut »

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:24:31 PM »
lol if you got beef with the show, then walk away

this show is original in its format and structure.. the mysteries are what make the show. i'm confused at your judgement and your characterization that LOST should follow some "series rule that all answers must be answered within one season." that makes no sense.

if you want a show like that, watch Heroes.

Lost is designed to tell one story (with seperate parts) over 6 seasons, which it will do.

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:09:19 AM »
the mysteries are what make the show.
And there *would* still be mysteries throughout the entire show. The only difference is that you'd get them progressively, instead of all at once.

i'm confused at your judgement and your characterization that LOST should follow some "series rule that all answers must be answered within one season." that makes no sense.
I don't mean that every conceivable fact should be known about the show. Look back at my Walt example. If the plan is to answer what Walt's speical ability is at the end of season 3, then the audience shouldn't be made to ask that question until around the end of season 2.

And in fact, this rule makes perfect sense. It was conceived by another writer who wrote and produced one of the first successful serialized shows. And he developed the rule based upon the failure of prior shows. And, based on the frustrations of not only me, but many, many Lost fans as described in Sledgeweb's reporting, it's a rule that would have made Lost better.

The new BSG, for example, is a show that, whether intentionally or not, has followed this rule very well.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:33:18 AM by FeelLikeANut »

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 01:31:04 AM »
Well, I'm not trying to argue with you, But... if they introduced a flying black cloud that ate people in season 4 when we haven't seen it before.... Can we say shark jumping?

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 02:44:36 AM »
But... if they introduced a flying black cloud that ate people in season 4 when we haven't seen it before.... Can we say shark jumping?
Maybe. But I think it could still come out very well if they hint at it and lead into it just right. (The best twists should take us by surprise and yet seem exactly right.) If you watch BSG, and if you can imagine back when you had just watched the miniseries, if someone had told you every person who is a cylon, would that have seemed back then like shark jumping? The chief? The XO? Starbuck!? And yet when it all went down, I thought it was some of the best TV I'd ever seen.

And besides, with things like time travel and an invisible man, the Lost writers are accused almost constantly of jumping the shark anyway.

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:12:47 PM »
Well, if I had creative control of this show, I'd make Sawyer permanently shirtless.  Ahhhhhhh....life on a great show.  PERFECT! 

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »
then i guess kate would have to be as well huh

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »
How about all of them are shirtless?

Except Rose, Bernard, Ben, Locke...

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »
then i guess kate would have to be as well huh

Wouldn't bother me!  What's fair is fair!  hee hee

How about all of them are shirtless?

Except Rose, Bernard, Ben, Locke...

Uh, yes.  But maybe there are some people who want to see them shirtless.  LOL  If there are, let them have their candy too! 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 11:59:18 PM »
Just...censor it in Maine. Please.

LOL

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »
I'd like to recommend a show for everyone here to check out... The 4400. The fourth season premieres June 17th.

Each season finale doesn't leave you with an arbitrary cliffhanger. There instead is a significant event that wraps up the plot threads started at the beginning of each season and also sets the stage for the next season. With each finale, you'll know that nothing can be the same anymore.

There's also a very good example of the idea I mentioned earlier in this thread, that the best twists take us completely by surprise, yet seem exactly right... the end of season 3's episode "Gone, Part 2."

Below is a link to a 45 second introduction to the show, if you're interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZyOvNUAfo

Enjoy!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »
I get what FeelLikeANut is trying to say.  I think in the beginning, the writers didn't have that much of the story planned out - let's face it, they didn't know if the show would be a hit or not.  So they ended up throwing alot our way.  It makes sense, now that they have an actual end date and number of episodes, that they can better plan the telling of the story.  I think the rest of the series will be written as well or better than even the last several episodes of this season for just that reason.  I, for one, would rather have two 24-episode seasons instead of three 16's.  Let's hope their reasons for the breakdown are story-line related and not just for the extra season's DVD $et!

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 06:29:10 PM »
I get what FeelLikeANut is trying to say.  I think in the beginning, the writers didn't have that much of the story planned out - let's face it, they didn't know if the show would be a hit or not.  So they ended up throwing alot our way.  It makes sense, now that they have an actual end date and number of episodes, that they can better plan the telling of the story.  I think the rest of the series will be written as well or better than even the last several episodes of this season for just that reason.  I, for one, would rather have two 24-episode seasons instead of three 16's.  Let's hope their reasons for the breakdown are story-line related and not just for the extra season's DVD $et!

Oh, I think they had a very clear idea of the main storyline, but they didn't know how to break it up on a per episode basis 'cause they didn't know how many epi's there'd be.

Now they know, so I'm expecting some very tight storytelling.

The 16 epi's per season is what they feel they can commit to finishing in a way that will allow all 16 to come out in consecutive weeks. I trust 'em.