Author Topic: Locke will not replace Ben.?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline mexicotime

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Locke will not replace Ben.?
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:54:44 AM »
I don't see how people see Locke as being "The One" to replace Ben. If the "prophecy" said that he will kill his fater, sorry but Locke got Sawyer to do that. Sure Ben may have been slipping a little, but now he is recovering and taking charge again.

When Jacob asked Locke for help maybe he was just asking for help, if Charlie was there instead then Jacob may have asked her for help.

Sure the island made Locke walk again, but then a little before Boone died Locke started to lose use of his legs again. Maybe Rose is "The One" because her cancer is gone and Ben got cancer. I do not believe this, but it makes as much sense as Locke does just because he can walk now.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Locke will not replace Ben.?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:22:33 PM »
I find it interesting some of the similarities that Ben and Locke share.  By way of the son's actions, both are left fatherless.  Neither had a real mother in their childhood.  Both can see dead people.  I don't know, it just seems that all the ways Ben seems "special" Locke meets the same criteria.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
I find it interesting some of the similarities that Ben and Locke share.  By way of the son's actions, both are left fatherless.  Neither had a real mother in their childhood.  Both can see dead people.  I don't know, it just seems that all the ways Ben seems "special" Locke meets the same criteria.

Excellent point on Locke/Ben similarities.  I was thinking of that this evening while rewatching The Brig and Man Behind the Curtain - Locke was reminding me of Ben the way he manipulated Sawyer into killing Anthony Cooper.  He does kind of fit the role that Ben was able to fit - the "hostiles" probably allowed Ben to become their leader despite being an outsider because he can commune with The Island (and Jacob, obviously), and Locke fits the mold as well.  It'll be interesting to see early in S4 if Locke tries to pull the remaining Others into his "anti-rescuer" group, or something like that, and maybe then starts making a play to take them over.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:26:58 PM »
Ben can talk to Jacob, or at least the Others think he can. So I reckon he'll remain in charge for the time being. Assuming he gets back to them in one piece, anyway. If Locke can demonstrate that he can reliably talk to Jacob then he becomes a candidate to replace Ben. But that'll take a few episodes to shake out, I expect. AFAIK, none of the other Others can talk to Big Jake at all.