Author Topic: Why Did Charlie Smack Desmond?  (Read 3340 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Why Did Charlie Smack Desmond?
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
A nice piece of dialogue with the two on the boat, and very decent of old Desmond to offer his life rather than Charlie's, but there was no indication that Desmond would not have acquiesced if Charlie was determined to go himself.  Why hit poor Desmond? 

It was, to me, reminiscent of Desmond's bar scene in his flashback/realback.  He gets bonked and returns from London back onto the island nude.  My question is whether Desmond experienced another flashback/realback with this bonk?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why Did Charlie Smack Desmond?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:21:59 PM »
probably knocked all his powers away!! :(

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »
Because Charlay is jealous of Des's good looks!

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »
I thought the same thing: that was totally unnecessary. One could argue that knocking poor Desmond unconscious is the only way to absolutely guarantee no interference in Charlie's plan to save Claire and Aaron from the Island, but that would be a weak argument.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:29:03 PM »
To give Des enough time for Charlie to get captured and for Des to come to the rescue as seen in Des' flashes. Des saw it all, and only told charlie the parts he needed to hear to do the job.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »
To give Des enough time for Charlie to get captured and for Des to come to the rescue as seen in Des' flashes. Des saw it all, and only told charlie the parts he needed to hear to do the job.

Interesting, You think Desmond knew he was gonna get bonked with an oar? If I knew something like that was gonna happen I would certainly try to avoid it.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:44:26 PM »
I hope that Desmond did take a little alternative reality trip.....that was one of the best episodes of the season.  I wondered after this escapade why Desmond could not visit a future reality as well.  (See unifying theory.....If quantum branches representing different realities exist beside our own, why couldn't one be the future?)

I have often wondered if portions of Locke's flashbacks represent derivations of his possible pasts and/or possible futures.  I guess the latter would represent flashforwards.....but Desmond would be the best character to explore a possible future.

Offline Tech-in

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »
Quote from: Rabbit_Hole

Yes.. I am pretty sure about Des knows everything (including SMACK).. He just did what he saw.. Also I am sure that he will go after Charlie and will finish the job (smacking gave him enough time)

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
When they were out there and Des offered to take Charlie's place, it ran thru my mind momentarily that Des knew something else was going on..but I dismissed it and tried to focus on the reality that they were setting up Charlie's death scene and I should be appreciative of it. Reflect and grief mode LOL

I agree that Des had knowledge of it all and it's all a big plan that is going to work out in the end.

Now if I could just
Spoiler
figure out how they have Mikhail blowing the place up??

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »
Maybe Des realized that by sacrificing himself for the other at the hatch he came out of it with precognition.  So maybe by sacrificing himself for CHARLAY he will get something else out of it  ???

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »
Do you really think that it would've been Penny that parachuted in if Charlie had died? Just asking. I don't know if it was discussed in that epi's thread.

I think our man Desmond is withholding information so that the vision turns out the way it should. Maybe they both died in his vision and that's all he could tell ChaLay so he would go too. Nothing changed in the vision to reality  :-\ maybe?

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
It is ChaLay isn't it..no r..hmmmm I've been saying CharLay...feeling sheepish :-[

It's possible he is withholding information...definetely..don't think Penny would go parachuting tho...she has others do her work and she pays them

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »
It is ChaLay isn't it..no r..hmmmm I've been saying CharLay...feeling sheepish :-[

It's possible he is withholding information...definetely..don't think Penny would go parachuting tho...she has others do her work and she pays them

I am not spellchecking you, I promise. lol I'm just hearing it run thru my head over and over and over.

So what the heck changed because Charlie stayed alive?

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 11:22:46 PM »
Will we ever know?  ???

Offline Maddog13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 09:14:25 AM »
Could Desmond have gone back in time when he was hit with the paddle?? It was similar to when he got hit with the cricket bat??