Author Topic: Why even bother with the Looking Glass?  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Angell

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Why even bother with the Looking Glass?
« on: May 17, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »
Sayid, Desmond, and Charlie are determined to get to the Looking Glass, shut off the switch, and then make contact with the boat.

Here's an idea. Why didn't they just paddle out to boat and say "Hey. We need rescued."  Sure, it's a long way, but it seems easier than what they are doing now. Surely, Naomi has some idea of the direction of the boat.

Angell

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
Re: Why even bother with the Looking Glass?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:46:13 PM »
The last time they rowed out to sea someone snatched Walt, shot Sawyer and tried to blow up Mike and Jin.  Maybe they dont want a repeat of that.
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:49:09 PM »
Not to mention the last time Desmond tried sailing off the island, he ended up right back on it...as well as Juliet saying that the Others having a boat was no big deal because they'd just sail around in circles...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
Sounds like a good Plan B, though. :)

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »
You have to follow a certain course to get out, and back in. For some reason they need a beacon to guide their way back to the island.

What is odd, is that they said that they Lost communication after the sky turned purple.
I have a feeling we can't believe a word any other says. They probably lied about that too.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:50:12 PM »
Also it would take a long time to row out 80 miles. The boat would probably be gone by then.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »
I realize they said that the jamming of Rousseau's transmission was happening at this station, but we were also lead to believe that the homing beacon for the sub was coming from the other end of the cable.  If they destroy the Looking Glass, won't it be hard for any ship to find the island?  Am I missing something or confused about the info we were given about how they find the island??

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 05:54:37 PM »
The further you go out, without an exact bearing and navigational devise, the chances of finding it would be slim. Even if you start out just a few degrees off course, by the time you get miles and miles out, you could be miles and miles off course, and would never see the boat. More than that, though, there seems to be some weird thing with the island in terms of how you can get in, and how you can get out. Just think of getting through that forest in the original NES Zelda game.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:59:53 PM »
The further you go out, without an exact bearing and navigational devise, the chances of finding it would be slim. Even if you start out just a few degrees off course, by the time you get miles and miles out, you could be miles and miles off course, and would never see the boat. More than that, though, there seems to be some weird thing with the island in terms of how you can get in, and how you can get out. Just think of getting through that forest in the original NES Zelda game.
Plus, Naomi was probably disoriented during her crash. How would she know in which direction, even generally, where her ship was?

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 05:56:44 PM »
Also it would take a long time to row out 80 miles. The boat would probably be gone by then.

That was my thought.  In the boat they have, it wouldn't make it for days on end in an ocean.  Especially if a storm rolled through.  Not to mention not a lot of room for supplies and shelter from the sun.  I think they've learned some lessons.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 07:02:20 PM »
Doubt that the boat would just leave without knowing what happened to Naomi. :-\