Author Topic: Charlie can not swim  (Read 10806 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie can not swim
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 06:19:23 PM »
GJ ~ It looked like in his flashback that Charlie was afraid of the water. I think he might have still been afraid at that point. Now, he wants to make up for something, so he'll risk his life for Claire.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »
It just hit me!  Charlie's dream in S2E12- it's being fulfilled.  Charlie had to swim to save Aaron, essentially.  What do you think?

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »
i'm thinking something happened after the day his dad made him jump into the water.  something to make him afraid again and not want to be in the water.  maybe just the plane crashing into the water scared him enough to say he doesn't swim.   but now that desmond tells charlie about his vision, he'll do anything to save claire and aaron

I agree that this could be possible, and I am just speculating, but maybe the reason why he doesn't swim is because of his father in some way.  The memory he chose was of him and his dad in the pool.  Maybe we'll find out later that his dad had a water accident and Charlie couldn't save him, or something.  I don't know.  Just thinking in print.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 12:09:03 AM »
It just hit me!  Charlie's dream in S2E12- it's being fulfilled.  Charlie had to swim to save Aaron, essentially.  What do you think?
Thats a cool connection PL!

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 12:15:26 AM »
the episode in season 1 when he said "i dont swim" was actually entitled white rabbit? that's effing nuts right there!!!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 12:42:30 AM »
the episode in season 1 when he said "i dont swim" was actually entitled white rabbit? that's effing nuts right there!!!
Wow.  Just wow. :)

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 12:48:08 AM »
are you excited about it?

or are you making fun of me? :(

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 12:51:27 AM »
are you excited about it?

or are you making fun of me? :(
NO!!! (((((J))))) :)  I'm totally feelin' the bunny thing.  All the references are coming out of the woodwork now! :)

Offline DizzyIzzy

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 03:28:38 AM »
Cool catch with the white rabbit.  Charlie uses that kind of humor with a bite so saying he's a great swimmer fits into how he deals with situations in my opinion.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 03:42:26 PM »
This is a little off-topic, but has the show ever said what became of Charlie's dad?  When Liam gave him the ring, he told Charlie that it was his father's, but his mother gave it to him.  Did Charlie's dad die when they were young?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »
Lostpedia didn't show anything beyond what we saw this past week, & the dream sequence from S2.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 05:44:07 PM »
...and basically, Charlie didn't swim, he just sank.....

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »
S1E5   Charlie   Jack! Jack! Jack! Hey Jack! Someone's out there. You've gotta... the current's... there's someone out there, look. I woke up and she's... I don't swim. I don't swim.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »
What we saw in this episode was a different version of Charlie's dad.  Remember in Fire+Water he got the piano for Christmas, his mom woke him up.  Then we got a shot of Charlie's dad (I saw this part in the dvd extras- anatomy of an episode, so this is in reference to that not the show) was a butcher, chopping the heads off of dolls, I think he was talking about how you can't go anywhere with music as a career.  In this episode his dad is cheery and being... well, a dad.  I agree with ND that something must have happened to his dad-- maybe it was an accident with water.  Hope we find out!

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »
Whoever said that the dad possibly died very soon after that small flashback of Charlie's...I like that theory. Makes sense. And I'm finding it nifty how the episode was called White Rabbit and the rabbit hatch...yada yada yada...neat.