Author Topic: Charlie can not swim  (Read 10607 times)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Charlie can not swim
« on: May 17, 2007, 12:37:55 PM »
in season one Charlie said he couldn't swim,why all of a sudden can he swim and be a champion swimmer?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:52:54 PM by Geronimo Jackson »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie can not swim
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »
I think Charlie lied about the championsip swimmer. He used the weight belt to get down there. He even told Desmond that it does not matter how long he can hold is breath. He is destined to die doing it, so he knew he was going to get down there.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »
I think Charlie lied about the championsip swimmer. He used the weight belt to get down there. He even told Desmond that it does not matter how long he can hold is breath. He is destined to die doing it, so he knew he was going to get down there.

But in his back story last night did show him learning how to swim with his dad. Didn't he even put that on his list?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
JUst jumping into the pool. not really swimming. I don't know might be an error.

Offline Hurleys Belly

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »
Charlie jumping into his father's arms in the pool when's he was a kid doesn't mean he can swim.
Using a weightbelt doesn't make a difference either.  As Desmond said, it'll make him descend faster.
And I think he's lying about being a championship swimmer.  What's important here is that Charlie has said he can't swim.  Most importantly, Jack is the one he told.  Why is Jack now thinking he's the right man for the job???

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
in the past, did charlie say he can't swim or that he doesn't swim? 

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 01:27:19 PM »
He said in season one He CAN'T SWIM

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 01:33:09 PM »
I just rewatched the clip of "White Rabbit" and he says "It's just, I don't swim... I don't swim." So he may be able to swim, just not a strong enough swimmer to rescue someone hundreds of feet out to sea.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »
Is that why he was going to drown if he saved Claire instead of Des?  As for the championship comment that was just to ensure that Jack would let him go.  And I thought he put dad teaching to swim on his list as well.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 01:41:43 PM »
I just rewatched the clip of "White Rabbit" and he says "It's just, I don't swim... I don't swim." So he may be able to swim, just not a strong enough swimmer to rescue someone hundreds of feet out to sea.

okay but why say it like that unless he deosn't know how to swim very well or not at all.Maybe that is why he may have put that on his list,as it was the only time he swam with his dad.His brother knew how to swim. Charlie realized he had to do it. It was his destiny. Plus I think Des lied to him about seeing Claire in a helicopter, he knew that would be the only way Charlie would do it, and Des didn't know if Charlie could swim or not.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 02:08:43 PM by Geronimo Jackson »

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 01:47:29 PM »
i'm thinking something happened after the day his dad made him jump into the water.  something to make him afraid again and not want to be in the water.  maybe just the plane crashing into the water scared him enough to say he doesn't swim.   but now that desmond tells charlie about his vision, he'll do anything to save claire and aaron

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:09:27 PM »
i'm thinking something happened after the day his dad made him jump into the water.  something to make him afraid again and not want to be in the water.  maybe just the plane crashing into the water scared him enough to say he doesn't swim.   but now that desmond tells charlie about his vision, he'll do anything to save claire and aaron

Could be wasn't it Charlie who saw the girl drowning in season one?

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »
or another thought, back in 'white rabbit' charlie was using heroine pretty regularly and didn't trust himself to attempt to rescue somebody in the water

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 06:14:31 PM »
I think Charlie can swim but he's not a great swimmer.  But being an incredible situation where he thinks his actions will save Claire, Aaron and the rest, he will force himself to do it, and suprise himself by doing it well. JMO

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
Also, we know he was already bluffing with regards to his swimming skills to convince everyone he was capable for the job. Remember he mentioned to Desmond that his ability to hold his breath underwater for 4 minutes was a gross exaggeration.

I believe the champion swimmer bit fits right into the above criteria.

Humans can perform great feats they would otherwise fail miserably at with the proper conditions, motivation, and confidence.

I think Charlie can swim but he's not a great swimmer.  But being an incredible situation where he thinks his actions will save Claire, Aaron and the rest, he will force himself to do it, and suprise himself by doing it well. JMO
Took the words right out of my fingers!