Author Topic: Central Theme?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Central Theme?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 09:19:26 PM »
I don't know if this would be considered the central theme, but I think a big part of the epi had to do with the top 5 list Charlie was making.  He was showing gratefullness for the blessings in his life.  I know that was his personal "greatest hits", but I think it was the value he put on it that was part of the central theme.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »
Selflessness?

i like selflessness.  selflessness in regards to fate (one of the big themes)

*Charlie was selfless in risking his life for that of Claire & Aaron. (And the other losties)
*Desmond was selfless in wanting to take the place of Charlie on the dive.
*Jack was selfless in fighting the others
*Juliet was selfless in giving all her information to the losties
*Karl was selfless in risking his life/wellbeing to tell the losties that the others were coming
*Sayid was selfless in taking Jack's place
*Even Bernard was selfless in wanting to help, as was Rose in wanting to stay with Bernard.

I can't figure out the selflessness in Charlie's flashbacks though.  And the theme should run through the flashbacks also. 

I think another theme might be sacrifice.  You can replace selflessness with sacrifice in the above statements. 

As I thought about this and read what you all had to say.  I was thinking the same way as Ladybug.
But I didn't think of anyone else but Charlie and Des
They both were selfless in their acts
Does it go back to redemption again and making things right?  NOOOOOO!! ;)
Heroes would fit also
Nadia calling him a Hero in the flashback and he acting like a Hero to save Claire and Aaron and then knocking Des out ...
Yeah "Hero"

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:24 PM »
I don't know if this would imply to the theme of "Greatest Hits"  but I'll try to be serious for a post. 

How about "Deliverance?"

To save lives or preservation from the loss of danger.

I suppose you could say that Jack's plan, Sayids plan, and Charlies plan all combined with the help from everyone being selfless and working together to survive an attack by the "Others." 

Regardless of the outcome in the finale they are all preparing like the first season when Danielle claimed the Others were coming and she stole Claire's baby.  The opening of the hatch.  They all came together to go to the caves and prepared for the worst. 

Again in "Greatest Hits" they are all prepared to do what it takes to survive by making sacrifices. 
I'm thinking these are all interconnected in someway.  (Sacrifice, Selflessness, & Deliverance)

This is building up for a showdown that will ultimately decide the "fate" of both groups on the island.  There will be no going back.  This is the tip of the iceberg.

Hope this helps or as I felt towards the episode.
I guess the title itself was for Charlie looking upon his life on all the things he accomplished and brought him natural highs other than fixes.   

Offline ape

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 10:20:51 PM »
Greatest Hits refers to Charlie cracking an oar off Desmond's jaw.

Offline misseko815

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »
I don't know if this would be considered the central theme, but I think a big part of the epi had to do with the top 5 list Charlie was making.  He was showing gratefullness for the blessings in his life.  I know that was his personal "greatest hits", but I think it was the value he put on it that was part of the central theme.

I think that along with Ladybug's list, these two are right on! And also, I think they are really written well.  :)

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:55 AM »
speaking of rabbits..

Roger..............................rabbit

LOL :D

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 02:32:27 AM »
Hero...he was a hero in the alley, and if he cuts the switch to save everyone...dun dun daaaa, he's a hero again. Oh plus he's going to die.

musepsycho

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2007, 05:05:31 AM »
A tough one this week. It seems like the episode was held together by suspense rather than a central theme. I was thinking sacrifice too, both Charlie & Desmond are willing to sacrifice. You could say that Karl is too, but that's a stretch -  he feels he's in debt to Sawyer & Kate. But it's all sort of weak for a central theme... I think I agree with Jugdish...

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2007, 09:53:15 AM »
As always, thanks to everyone for helping me sort through this item.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 08:54:03 PM »
Podcast is down for some reason.  I can't get linked up.  Time-out issue.  Either everyone and their brother are trying to listen or need I say the server is down booo

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 12:35:22 AM »
The central theme is always found in the flashbacks.....Here, the one word that comes to mind is reflection.  It is kinda like in Shrek 3 when the gingerbread man sees his life flash before his eyes and then poops a gumdrop.  Only, for Charlie, it is searching through the abstract of the past and realizing how time flies and how there is always much to be thankful for.

Offline mexicotime

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 09:56:01 AM »
I would have to go with the overall theme of hero. From Charlie to Desmond to Karl to Bernard to Jin  and even to Alex, everyone was doing something that they thought was for the greater good of the people and not just themselves (Locke).