Author Topic: Central Theme?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Central Theme?
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »
Ok gang. As always, at this point I got nothing but I'm sure it's nothing a little more coffee and some dialog in here can't fix.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Central Theme?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:16:40 AM »
I am not sure that there is one for this episode. It was a set up episode for next week.

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:17:51 AM »
I am not sure that there is one for this episode. It was a set up episode for next week.
I agree with you Jug
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:44:04 AM »
The theme is Rabbits!

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »
Selflessness?

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »
There is always a central theme! Even if I have to shoe horn one on :-O

Selflessness is good cuz I'm warming up to 'Heroes' or at least bravery.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
How about fate. Charlie's is to go to looking glass, Sayid is killing others, Jack is leading losties.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 11:36:43 AM »
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Stole that from Star Trek.

Offline ILoveLost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 11:47:53 AM »

I don't know why but for some reason I thought this week was the finale. I sat down with a bag of chips ready to get all my answers...30 mins in I thought "wow this last half hour better be good." 50 mins in I thought "wow a lot better happen in 10 mins."  So I was pissed until I saw that next week is the finale. ooops...silly...lol At least I get one more week of lost...It's kinda like a bonus for me :D

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »
Selflessness?

i like selflessness.  selflessness in regards to fate (one of the big themes)

*Charlie was selfless in risking his life for that of Claire & Aaron. (And the other losties)
*Desmond was selfless in wanting to take the place of Charlie on the dive.
*Jack was selfless in fighting the others
*Juliet was selfless in giving all her information to the losties
*Karl was selfless in risking his life/wellbeing to tell the losties that the others were coming
*Sayid was selfless in taking Jack's place
*Even Bernard was selfless in wanting to help, as was Rose in wanting to stay with Bernard.

I can't figure out the selflessness in Charlie's flashbacks though.  And the theme should run through the flashbacks also. 

I think another theme might be sacrifice.  You can replace selflessness with sacrifice in the above statements. 

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
I think the theme is that Jack is finally stepping up as a confident leader and his Losties are happy about it.

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »
I think the theme is that Jack is finally stepping up as a confident leader and his Losties are happy about it.

We'll see about that next week!  ;)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »
The flashbacks this week were unique in that they did NOT parallel  the main story. They were just story (and the writers digging themselves out by giving charlie swimming lessons) so if the theme doesn't fit them all I'm ok this week. Obviously his 'hero' flashback fits but I don't think any of the rest do.

Regarding Jack. The code name for next weeks episode is 'rattlesnake in the mail box' which is a metaphor for something no one would expect. I, for one, am keeping a close eye on Jack cuz someone is a rattlesnake!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:15:25 PM by CurtYanko »

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 05:53:56 PM »
The flashbacks this week were unique in that they did NOT parallel  the main story. They were just story (and the writers digging themselves out by giving charlie swimming lessons) so if the theme doesn't fit them all I'm OK this week. Obviously his 'hero' flashback fits but I don't think any of the rest do.

Regarding Jack. The code name for next weeks episode is 'rattlesnake in the mail box' which is a metaphor something no one would expect. I, for one, am keeping a close eye on Jack cuz someone is a rattlesnake!

I think it will just about kill me to learn that Jack is a bad guy going against the Losties.  I do on the other hand think someone is a rattlesnake because in the preview it shows Ben being at the tower.  How did he know they were going to the tower?  Someone had to have told him, maybe via that radio that Sawyer and those guys found in Paulo's tent.  Or the satellite phone really works for local calls.  LOL  Anyway, I hope it's not Jack.  If it is, then that would tell me Jack has been brainwashed.  Or fell and hit his head and became stupid. hee hee

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 09:17:49 PM »
I hear you. Saying Jack at this point is precisely for that reason though. I'd say Kate but... then a lot of thought she was a mole already so it wouldn't fit the 'noboday expects it' mold. I mean who provide more shock value than Jack?