Author Topic: Is Naomi Lying?  (Read 26069 times)

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Is Naomi Lying?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Definetly the technology is there to do those detecting, but do most ships have that, radar jamming dectectors I dont think so. Just like a simple police radar, they dont detect a jam signal, you just get no signal.

Yes, every Naval ship I've seen (and I was on an old one) has what is called a ECM device (Electronic Counter Measures) which does all of the detecting of any signal on almost any frequency. It can only tell what direction the signal is coming from but not how far it is  (like radar which is a acronym of sorts itself ( Radio Detection and Ranging (side-side note: sonar is Sound Navigation and Ranging, see a pattern?))).

I have seen F14's Jam just about everything there but ships don't tend to have jamming themselves (maybe the newer ones do I am getting old after all). It is a sight to see on a ECM display as the whole thing just blooms.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 11:34:04 AM by CurtYanko »

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »
My knowledge of radar comes from investing in EMS back in the 80's which is a company that does the switch network for the Phalanx system....and, I built radios when I was a kid.  (That was cool back then).

Ya, kkrhoe5, the "oh ya, here's a radar" moment from season one was unfortunate. 

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »

I would like to point out three things boys:
1. Her boat is eighteen miles away (per Sayid).
2. EMF ... have you been watching the show??  (btw, that means you can't see the island.  Remember Naomi said she was in the middle of the ocean and saw no land?  Oh, wait, she is a liar!  ::) )
3. Charlie didn't identify her accent, he said he was Manchurian (sp?) knowing a British or travelled person would know that meant he was from Manchester.  AND Manchester is QUITE popular for their music. Go check it out
I know Sayid said 18 kilometers, but didn't Kate say 80 miles? And Mickhail said 120 clicks, don't know how clicks equal out but why all the different variations? If she said the same thing to everyone wouldn't they all be using the same distance? I'm confused, if anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it!

Offline schwa

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »
so, who was lying, Juliet to the castways about the Looking Glass being flooded or Ben to all the Others?

I don't trust Juliet, but I mistrust Ben more, so my guess is with Ben.  Was the EMP going off a convient excuse to say they have lost comms so he can control the others better?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 02:50:09 PM »
Tomorrow, while you're at work, turn the emitter pulse off on your radar.  Vary the frequency until you have a source signal.  Let the dish spin.  Watch your screen.  You will pick up the source as if it came from your own radar, only it will not be a reflection.

Even easier.  Put your hand over the front of your radar detector whilst you know there is a cop nearby.  Now rotate it about.  You will find that only when the signal is strongest (most direct) will the detector chirp.  Easy stuff Lou. 

Radars are jammed by radar signals (same frequencies, but super strong).  If you want me to plot a ROC curve, just let me know.  But, a simple two way radio could be used to localize a "jamming" signal.  That was shown in the Gilligan's Island physics of the first season.  Just don't try it with bald men about.

Oh ya, Naomi is lying.
Has anyone every told you that you are a kook?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 02:55:26 PM »
That little conversation with Charlie....digging for info about whom they are about to go to war with....Why?  She remembers Charlie from his funeral, the new album, and etc. and tells him to look on the bright side, "you're not really dead."
Genius, pure genius.  I don't think any of us who have ever figured that out if you hadn't told us. ::)

If Naomi was really on a boat less than a hundred miles from the island, why wasn't there a rescue party for her?
  Rescue party to where?  Naomi herself said she couldn't even see the island- it wasn't there- then all of a sudden the clouds parted and, Voila!

A boat that size would assuredly have radar and sonar, why haven't they spotted the island?  Her flight course was likely monitored, why haven't they zoomed in on where she went down?
She said they were searching "in the middle of the ocean".  She thought it was a wasted mission. There WAS NO LAND.  The boat can't 'see' the island.  Have you been watching the show?

The answer, Naomi is lying.  Nobody is looking for her because she was not part of any Desmond rescue mission.  The question then becomes, who is she and what is she really doing upon the island?
  That's all speculation.  They have not shown us that, it's only your opinion and you should qualify the sentence as such.  You always state your opinion as if it's a known fact when in fact it's your opinion.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »
That little conversation with Charlie....digging for info about whom they are about to go to war with....Why?  She remembers Charlie from his funeral, the new album, and etc. and tells him to look on the bright side, "you're not really dead."

If Naomi was really on a boat less than a hundred miles from the island, why wasn't there a rescue party for her?  A boat that size would assuredly have radar and sonar, why haven't they spotted the island?  Her flight course was likely monitored, why haven't they zoomed in on where she went down?

The answer, Naomi is lying.  Nobody is looking for her because she was not part of any Desmond rescue mission.  The question then becomes, who is she and what is she really doing upon the island?
I don't think she's lying, because her injury was pretty damn serious, and having a needle plunged into her lung was pretty damn serious, too. Everything about her seems to be legit so far...and her story would explain why she had Des and Penny's photo on her.

As for all the tech talk about jamming frequencies and radars and what not...chalk it up to both the writers not desiring to go all-out in making sure every anal technical aspect of their plot is 100% accurate, along with the mysteries of the island and Dhara themselves. There's a LOT on this show that would not hold up to technical accuracy if picked apart and analyzed. Besides, the show was meant to be viewed from your living room, not under a microscope.

One thing though...Naomi said (in either Italian or Portuguese) she wasn't alone on the island...wonder why she hasn't mentioned that again now that she's healthy and walking around?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »
Yes posted this topic when she was first introduced, can't be trusted  is a plant by Ben, Sayid sees thorugh her, where was she when discussing how to contact her ship with her radio no where to be found, no one ever comes to rescue her.

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 03:07:42 PM »
I think she's lying too.  I don't know about jammed signals or papers and accents.  But I know this is Lost and most people who show up on that beach after the plane crashed seem to be there for villainous reasons.  LOL

Let's not forget that while she was laying there gasping for breath, she went through 3 different languages in order to find one that only Mikail could speak.  That seems a little odd to me.  She could have spoken to Hurley and Desmond.  But she kept going until she only got Mikails response.

Offline schwa

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »
a click is a kilometer
1 mile = 1.609269 clicks
80 miles = 128.741551 clicks
120 clicks = 74.568 miles
18 clicks = 11.1852 miles

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 03:17:27 PM »
Let's not forget that while she was laying there gasping for breath, she went through 3 different languages in order to find one that only Mikail could speak.  That seems a little odd to me.  She could have spoken to Hurley and Desmond.  But she kept going until she only got Mikails response.
This is something that I can't understand why people here keep thinking it's true lol...she didnt' go through three different languages until she found one only Mikhail could understand. Mikhail wasn't even AT her side when she started talking. Secondly, wouldn't she already KNOW what languages Mikhail understood? Thirdly, just because Mikhail understood a language doesn't mean nobody else there would, either. Fourthly (is that even a word lol?) if she ONLY wanted Mikhail to hear her, why not just remain silent until he showed up?

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »
Let's not forget that while she was laying there gasping for breath, she went through 3 different languages in order to find one that only Mikail could speak.  That seems a little odd to me.  She could have spoken to Hurley and Desmond.  But she kept going until she only got Mikails response.
This is something that I can't understand why people here keep thinking it's true lol...she didnt' go through three different languages until she found one only Mikhail could understand. Mikhail wasn't even AT her side when she started talking. Secondly, wouldn't she already KNOW what languages Mikhail understood? Thirdly, just because Mikhail understood a language doesn't mean nobody else there would, either. Fourthly (is that even a word lol?) if she ONLY wanted Mikhail to hear her, why not just remain silent until he showed up?

When she spoke to Mikhail everyone asked him what she said.  That pretty much says that he only understood her.  I thought all of them were standing around her when she went into her various languages, but I could be wrong. Either way it doesn't matter ultimately.  I think she was looking for the language that ONLY Mikhail would understand.  Obviously she knew he knows various ones, but was going through them to see which ones the Losties would know or not know.   

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »

When she spoke to Mikhail everyone asked him what she said.  That pretty much says that he only understood her.  I thought all of them were standing around her when she went into her various languages, but I could be wrong. Either way it doesn't matter ultimately.  I think she was looking for the language that ONLY Mikhail would understand.  Obviously she knew he knows various ones, but was going through them to see which ones the Losties would know or not know.   
NO.  She first spoke Spanish which Hurley understood (and she would have no way of knowing or not knowing that).  Why she tried different languages is still a mystery on the show and doesnt' prove anything one way or another, it just fuels speculation (which was the writers original intent).  There's not a conspiracy in every iota of Lost- contrary to popular opinion. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »

When she spoke to Mikhail everyone asked him what she said.  That pretty much says that he only understood her.
Again, why wouldn't she already know which language to speak if that was her goal?

I thought all of them were standing around her when she went into her various languages, but I could be wrong. Either way it doesn't matter ultimately.  I think she was looking for the language that ONLY Mikhail would understand.  Obviously she knew he knows various ones, but was going through them to see which ones the Losties would know or not know.   

She first spoke before Mikhail arrived...and she first spoke in Chinese. Jin said he couldn't understand it because it was chinese (I guess Charlie, Hurley and Desmond all felt he could understand it). She then spoke in Spanish, which Hurley understood....she said "I'm dying". Ok, so is "I'm dying" something she ONLY wanted Mikhail to know? lol...considering that apparently she WAS dying, I highly doubt it. It was her saying this in Spanish which caused Desmond to open her jacket and see her near-fatal wound.

At this point, Mikhail arrived...then started running away again. After they caught up with him and Des put a flare gun up to Mikhail's chest, only then did Naomi speak in either Italian (according to Mikhail) or Portuguese (according to some on this site)..and she once again said "I'm dying". To me, it appeared that Naomi was severely injured, not quite coherent, and was uttering the same words--"I'm dying"--in several different languages in hopes that at least one would be understood. I also think the writers decided for her not to speak in English right away to cause some mystery (perhaps the rational being that this is some foreign island far away from western civilization, and highly unlikely to contain english speaking people, which is what many on here have wondered about, too lol).

Lastly, Mikhail ran to the Others' camp and told Ben about Naomi, with Ben completely unaware of her presence or who she is. This alone points to her not being there to speak to Mikhail only...as it appears neither Mikhail or Ben even knew she was on the island or was supposed to be.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2007, 04:07:20 PM »
She was almost dead, who knows what she was thinking.