Author Topic: Is He My Father?  (Read 11632 times)

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Is He My Father?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 03:47:52 PM »
What about Karl being a "native/hostile"?  Is that an option or a possibility?  I think so, we don't know that much of him.  I really think it could be and that is why he and Alex are not allowed to be together.  hmmmm
Why would that preclude them from being together?  I am more partial to the theory that Ben is afraid she will get pregnant and subsequently die.

Or that he's just the father of a teenage girl!  ;)

Offline jenine

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 05:54:56 PM »
Very good point  :)  And here I am trying to make something tricky about it.

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 08:22:03 PM »
I know no one will agree with me, but I dont think Ben is as evil as he seems....I think there is something we don't know that makes him the way he is and why he feels he "needs" things his way....

Offline joshzam

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 09:33:25 PM »
Alex seemed sure of her statement. Carl responded with a look of "careful, you know you're not supposed to talk like that" - but already aware of whatever Alex knows. After watching the interaction again it jumped out at me: Ben never lied to anyone about Alex being his daughter. Alex is adopted and she knows it! That is why there have never been any qualms about calling Ben her father before and why she can defiantly (and rightfully) question his relationship to her now.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 11:23:28 PM »
I know no one will agree with me, but I dont think Ben is as evil as he seems....I think there is something we don't know that makes him the way he is and why he feels he "needs" things his way....

Just because something makes him evil, it doesn't diminish the evil.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:12 AM »
Ben is evil....evil as in fruit of the devil evil.  Ben will die (I predict) in the finale.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »
What story do we think ben gave alex? her mom dies in child-birth. How did ben convince the other natives into lying to alex? Has danielle spoken with karl or alex yet?

Ben dies. I don't know Puff. He's too good of an actor to get rid of. Why give him an awesome backstory just to kill him off?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »
Ben is evil....evil as in fruit of the devil evil.  Ben will die (I predict) in the finale.
nah, too many unanswered questions about him and to central to the others story/history.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
who else thought that when alex started running she was going to save locke.. i got pwned.

Seen this and couldn't read any further until I knew what the heck does "pwned" mean??

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
When she said that to Karl, I just took it at face value. She heard from Sayid that her "father" was lying to her..or however he said it that night..and her mind has been working OT since then to figure it all out. Karl is someone she loves and confides in. His look reminded me of something like "I know I know...". (Men, you should be able to understand that look. It's the same one your wives give you when you haven't done something that you know you were supposed to do..you've got her mouth running again...) She's been raised by Ben, she's going to be better at manipulating than Ben and in the end it will be her that nails him one way or the other. But not this season. IMO...

Offline buzmeg

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »
When, where, and with whom was Alex conceived? How did her conception/birth survive The Island?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 05:56:26 PM »
What about Karl being a "native/hostile"?  Is that an option or a possibility?  I think so, we don't know that much of him.  I really think it could be and that is why he and Alex are not allowed to be together.  hmmmm

I have also been wondering about Karl's origin.  He seems to be about the same age as Alex.  Forgive my poor understanding of the purge, but it seems like Ben didn't have a baby when Dharma was gassed.  So it was after that, and 16 years ago, that Ben ended up with Alex.  If Karl came to the island after the purge, can we assume he was recruited like Mikhail was?  I doubt it.  Karl doesn't seem to have any specialty to be summoned across the world.  Maybe he has special ability like Walt, but we haven't seen it if he does.  So.  Either Karl was brought along by his parents with Dharma like Ben, and the Hostiles took him in, or he was on the island like the 'natives.' 

scrod

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
who else thought that when alex started running she was going to save locke.. i got pwned.

Seen this and couldn't read any further until I knew what the heck does "pwned" mean??
Internet game geek term for beaten down, in context here used because the person felt defeated by making an incorrect assumption.

scrod

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 06:03:57 PM »
The timing of Alex and Karl's age being the same as Rousseau's stated arrival date on the island seems to much to ignore.  Whether they were Dharma re-supply or something else remains to be seen.  I don't think Rousseau has been 100% forthcoming in all of her answers.  My bet is Karl is an orphan for some time.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 06:27:35 PM »
OR Rousseau had twins and didn't know it.