Author Topic: Why was Desmond's Flash wrong, or did he just tell Charlie a lie?  (Read 12808 times)

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Desmond's Flash wrong, or did he just tell Charlie a lie?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »
Care to spoiler me in on this one?

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
I dont know how to spoiler!  HAHA Or else I would!  :P

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »
I dont know how to spoiler!  HAHA Or else I would!  :P

See my name over to the left...click it and PM me!  ;) Best spoiler tag around.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2007, 11:41:25 PM »
Well, I watched the preview in really really really slow motion, and I saw
Spoiler
Desmond swimming down toward the Looking Glass, Charlie being smacked around by the girls while tied in a chair, Desmond inside the Looking Glass shooting something at what appeared to be Mikhail (although that could've been a jump cut), and then a rush of water coming in over the top of somebody -- I couldn't tell who.
  Because I didn't think it showed us the outcome, I haven't gotten sad.  Yet.   :)

Oh, and I'm highly suspicious of the helicopter that Des "saw" actually being a rescue helicopter.  I'm thinking it's going to pick up Claire and Aaron for sure, and probably Sun and maybe Kate, but it's not going to rescue them... I don't think I trust Naomi and her offshore ship / helicopter combo...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 11:43:45 PM by Madam P »

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2007, 12:27:40 AM »
Desmond doesn't lie....that may be his problem.  We weren't given the ability to see his flash in this episode, but I would conclude that his flash was incomplete or that things have been in accordance with his vision, just a little slower in developing.

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »
Well, I watched the preview in really really really slow motion, and I saw
Spoiler
Desmond swimming down toward the Looking Glass, Charlie being smacked around by the girls while tied in a chair, Desmond inside the Looking Glass shooting something at what appeared to be Mikhail (although that could've been a jump cut), and then a rush of water coming in over the top of somebody -- I couldn't tell who.

Spoiler
yes, it's Mikail, he swims in after trying to shoot Des from the beach

Offline jec9000

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2007, 11:16:23 AM »
I may sound nuts, but did anyone else notice the parallel between the scene in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" where Desmond suddenly realizes in the bar that he CAN change the future and then gets hit by the bat---and his decision in "Greatest Hits" to take Charlie's place (because he now knows he can change the future) and then WHAMBO he gets hit with a large wooden implement again? I think he knows he can change the future so he decides to take the chance and sacrifice himself instead. But the world has a way of course correcting.....

I know from the preview that Des ends up in the Looking Glass station, but wouldn't it be cool if the next time we see Des he is lying on the floor of the bar again?

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2007, 11:42:47 AM »
I think that there is something else to all of this that he is not telling charlie, like he doesnt know for sure if it will work...Poor guy though every time he stands up to try to take matters into his own hands WHACK he gets beaten in the head

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2007, 01:43:33 PM »
I may sound nuts, but did anyone else notice the parallel between the scene in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" where Desmond suddenly realizes in the bar that he CAN change the future and then gets hit by the bat---and his decision in "Greatest Hits" to take Charlie's place (because he now knows he can change the future) and then WHAMBO he gets hit with a large wooden implement again? I think he knows he can change the future so he decides to take the chance and sacrifice himself instead. But the world has a way of course correcting.....

I know from the preview that Des ends up in the Looking Glass station, but wouldn't it be cool if the next time we see Des he is lying on the floor of the bar again?

Exactly....he got whomped in the head.  I hope he gets another flashback out of it.....but, if he doesn't, the similarity was still pertinent.  I think the point was to hammer into Desmond that you can try, but ultimately you can't change fate.  Einstein's determinism in play.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2007, 02:26:41 AM »
Yes, puff, I agree -- I don't think Desmond lied, but I think it was one of his flashes that was incomplete and he just extrapolated what he was hoping would be the case.  He didn't lie, and the flash wasn't wrong, just incomplete and/or out of context.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2007, 07:11:39 PM »
Or complete in it's outcome, only nonspecific in it's route and implications. 

Will Desmond's visions disappear when/if Charlie takes the dirt nap?