Author Topic: Why was Desmond's Flash wrong, or did he just tell Charlie a lie?  (Read 12809 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why was Desmond's Flash wrong, or did he just tell Charlie a lie?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 10:42:33 AM »
It was a different scene, different day.

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 02:20:32 PM »
It was a different scene, different day.

I agree, but the fact that they decided to show it to viewers in the same episode that things don't turn out exactly as Desmond foresaw them hints at something. It might be a red herring, but it's definately there.

Offline Angell

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 02:49:21 PM »
I think that Charlie and Desmond were misinterpreting the vision.
Desmond said that he saw Claire and the baby getting on a helicopter.
Charlie says: A resuce helicopter? We're getting rescued?

I think instead that Namoi is in cahoots with the Others. Jack said that they marked three tents? Why three? Sun is pregnant. We assume Kate is pregnant. Who would be third? The only other major female characters are Claire and (now back again) Rose.

So when it comes time for the Others to take the women, I think it will be Claire, Sun, and Kate and that they will leave in a helicopter that came from Naomi's boat.

Angell

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2007, 03:32:51 PM »
Actually I think Desmond said to Charlie something like I see you in a hatc surrounded by women, there is a yellow blinking light and you flip a switch and drown. Not an exact quote but I remember thinking "Surrounded by women?"

According to Jeff Jensen at ew.com he said surronded by gunmen

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »
I actually posted some of this in another thread, because I hadn't seen this one yet, but last night for the first time in a long time, I found myself not trusting Des. I think it's a possibility that he could be others-influenced. Time will tell.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
I actually posted some of this in another thread, because I hadn't seen this one yet, but last night for the first time in a long time, I found myself not trusting Des. I think it's a possibility that he could be others-influenced. Time will tell.
WHAT??  No way!

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2007, 04:41:23 PM »
Even if Desmond makes an appearance in the Looking Glass, Charlie must die in the finale. This past episode was done well and was excellent closure in his character should TPTB choose to end Charlie in the finale. Charlie has run his course and it is time to leave. I'm not saying this because I am hungry to see the death of another character, I feel it needs to happen. Charlie is living out his swan-song in front of our eyes, his new greatest hit so to speak. A perfect way to go out with some honor and dignity. Goodbye Charlie.

Offline nikarro

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »
Even if Desmond makes an appearance in the Looking Glass, Charlie must die in the finale. This past episode was done well and was excellent closure in his character should TPTB choose to end Charlie in the finale. Charlie has run his course and it is time to leave. I'm not saying this because I am hungry to see the death of another character, I feel it needs to happen. Charlie is living out his swan-song in front of our eyes, his new greatest hit so to speak. A perfect way to go out with some honor and dignity. Goodbye Charlie.

I agree with this!  I like charlie a lot but they did SO WELL for his ending

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »
I think instead that Namoi is in cahoots with the Others. Jack said that they marked three tents? Why three? Sun is pregnant. We assume Kate is pregnant. Who would be third? The only other major female characters are Claire and (now back again) Rose.

So when it comes time for the Others to take the women, I think it will be Claire, Sun, and Kate and that they will leave in a helicopter that came from Naomi's boat.

Angell
The Others are being led to believe that the marked tents are the tents of pregnant women, however WHOSE tent doesn't matter to the Losties (or to us) now as we know that they simply marked the tents that they want the Others to get close to.

I agree with this!  I like charlie a lot but they did SO WELL for his ending
I third this. ::) :)

Offline misseko815

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2007, 12:27:59 AM »
I have a question related to the thread of this topic, and I know that someone in this fab SWLS family will be able to answer it easily. Do we (as viewers) have any "proof" that Des really just kind of floated around for several weeks when he took off on his boat? What if he was in contact with the others during that time? Just a thought...

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »
I have a question related to the thread of this topic, and I know that someone in this fab SWLS family will be able to answer it easily. Do we (as viewers) have any "proof" that Des really just kind of floated around for several weeks when he took off on his boat? What if he was in contact with the others during that time? Just a thought...
We don't have any solid proof of it, but he was awfully depressed when he came back.  And drinking to get drunk isn't the smartest thing to do if you have a secret.  I think he really did sail around in circles until he got back to the island.

Offline misseko815

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 12:46:33 AM »
I think he probably just sailed around in circles too, but I was trying to think of what Des's motivation for lying would be if he were in fact lying. Thanks SOL! :)

Offline soccerman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 02:27:33 AM »
It seems to me that in all of Des's previous flashes he let's it play out and tries to intervene when he can to save Charlie.  His "save Charlie" plans have had to become more involved with each one.

But this time I don't think Charlie would have done this mission to the underwater hatch unless Desmond told him the story.  Charlie not being a great swimmer and not knowing what Jack, Sayid and Juliet were talking about would have never volunteered for this hatch swim.  Sayid would have done it and Jack would have shot dynamite and Kate and Sawyer would lead the group to the tower.

Why does Des tell Charlie the whole story before it happens?  He totally influenced the future.

Offline Perseus

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »
When Desmond says that Charley will throw the switch and then drown doesn't mean that that's what causes the hatch to flood. In the previews we see Desmond with a spear gun and also standing in front of an in coming flood. Who's to say we have the order of event correct. What if Desmond causes the hatch to flood and Charley throws the switch as a last act of heroism.