Author Topic: "...bring Rabbit"?  (Read 9441 times)

Offline jenine

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: "...bring Rabbit"?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 10:14:38 AM »
I understand and agree with the logic behind why she was doing it, but I find it curious that no one in camp found it odd.  Particularly when we know Ben kept a white rabbit as a pet. 
I did consider about the pregnancy test/rabbit connection but I don't think there is anything to that - more likely it's a continuation of the other white rabbit stuff from prior episodes.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
We have no idea that  Ben kept any rabbit as a pet. The rabbits he used as a kid and with sawyer are likey just for experiments and food.

Offline Unreasonable

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 01:24:16 PM »
I think the white rabbits are there because of Ben's other project we haven't yet heard about. 

http://www.whiterabbitbeauty.com/aboutus.html

Notice that one of the 'board' members is Henry... hmmm..... Henry Gale?

There is also an interesting quote.  Most likely from Ben, "We hope you find White Rabbit Beauty a fun and rewarding store. We firmly believe that constructive action and laughter can help change the world."

Offline jenine

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »
We have no idea that  Ben kept any rabbit as a pet. The rabbits he used as a kid and with sawyer are likey just for experiments and food.

True.  I guess that was an assumption on my part.  Sorry.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 06:07:16 PM »
I think it was a pretty good assumption that as a kid, Ben treated the rabbit as a pet, even though Dharma may have been using it for experiments as well.  Last week's ep showed kid-Ben petting the rabbit that he had in bed with him, while he was listening to his dad rant at Horace and right before he saw the "vision" of his mom.

Of course, he then turned right around and used the rabbit as a test for the sonic fence before he went through it.  I think it's safe to say Ben wouldn't be the best candidate to adopt something from the ASPCA. 

The rabbit sort of shows us how Ben's changed -- first petting the wittle bunny wabbit, then using it to test a potentially lethal fence, now not even noticing when his daughter is gutting one right in front of him with blood all over her hands.  I know if I saw somebody gutting something that looks exactly like my first childhood pet, it would get at least some reaction.  But not Ben -- he's hard.  Or as Chelle said, he's "ate the eff up!"   ;D

Makes total sense too that the Others have been raising rabbits for meat -- very practical, and tasty too.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »
I understand and agree with the logic behind why she was doing it, but I find it curious that no one in camp found it odd.  Particularly when we know Ben kept a white rabbit as a pet. 
I did consider about the pregnancy test/rabbit connection but I don't think there is anything to that - more likely it's a continuation of the other white rabbit stuff from prior episodes.

Maybe they don't find it odd because they know where she's going with it? Ya never know. Since Ben was out playing imagination games with Locke..they weren't expecting him just yet.

Who knows.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_Test

The rabbit test was an early pregnancy test developed in 1927. It consisted of injecting the tested woman's urine into a female rabbit, then examining the rabbit's ovaries a few days later, which would change in response to a hormone only secreted by pregnant women. The hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), is produced during pregnancy and indicates the presence of a fertilized egg; it can be found in a pregnant woman's urine and blood. The rabbit test became a widely used bioassay (animal-based test) to test for pregnancy. The term "rabbit test" was first recorded in 1949 but became a common phrase in the English language.
Wow, I never knew that.

Didnt you ever see the episode of M*A*S*H where Hot Lips thinks she's pregnant so they ask Radar for one of his bunnies, but he freaks out because they usually kill the rabbit and autopsy it, so instead they do surgery and remove the rabbits ovaries to see if there's a change? I like TV, it's edumacating!

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »
Is it weird that no one in the camp thought it was strange that Alex was gutting a rabbit? 
There definitely has to be something to the fact that it was a white rabbit...
i don't find it weird.  they are in the wilderness, she is hungry, she caught/shot/trapped a rabbit, is cleaning it, going to cook it and eat it.  (or at least give it to karl to eat)
This is big time speculation that may have NO bearing on ANYTHING lol, but do you think it's possible that they raise rabbits for meat as well as research purposes?
it's possible, but i don't think they really would.  rabbit meat sucks to put it quite frankly.  i think they would raise chickens first because you can get eggs and meat from them.  or even goats, you can get milk (hence cheese, butter) and meat.  or cows or basically anything but rabbits.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »
There was cows at the Flame, probably all roasted now that Locke blew up the place.

Rabbits would fit in on the Island better, they would eat the grass and multiply like crazy. Somehow I can't see chickens fitting in very well, predators would probably kill all the chickens in the wild.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 12:38:49 PM »
There was cows at the Flame, probably all roasted now that Locke blew up the place.

Rabbits would fit in on the Island better, they would eat the grass and multiply like crazy. Somehow I can't see chickens fitting in very well, predators would probably kill all the chickens in the wild.

roasted cows.  makes me want some brisqit.  yum..

anyway.  chickens will survive just as well as rabbits.  okay, maybe not quite as well, but they can still survive.  i don't see wild dogs, cayotes or other animals that tend to go after chickens, or other game birds.  ben was eating chicken.  i'm sure he didn't get freeze dried chicken from dharma.  they probably grow it themselves.  they don't take up much room.  if not chickens, then why not turkey?  there are plenty of wild turkey. 

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 03:13:30 PM »
did anyone notice when Alex ran up to Karl, and handed him the gun, she had no blood on hers hands?

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
Chickens would be a good idea around the compound as they will eat bugs...and make sure everyone wakes up at dawn.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »
Why eat rabbit on a hike across a jungle populated by boar, fruit at hand, and incur the risk of tularemia?

Was the killing of the rabbit symbolic of Alex's break with her father (who just tortures rabbits)? 

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »
Also reminded me of bunny #8. :)

Anyone notice the rabbit on the Looking Glass logo? Alice in Wonderland theme...
Nice catch.  If I had a nickle for every time.... ;)
I know!!! See I've been saying it all along...and then TPTB confirmed it was alluding to it..I said it first!Isaid it first!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2007, 10:29:33 PM »
There's lots of people where I live that raise rabbits for meat.  Personally, it's not my favorite, but everybody else in my family loves the stuff.  From a practical standpoint, it would be a quick-maturing, easy-to-feed, rapidly multiplying type of livestock.