Author Topic: Episode Failed to Deliver  (Read 6234 times)

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Episode Failed to Deliver
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
True to form, this episode was also built up but failed to deliver.  I know some people are going to hate on me- I love the show but it is not bulletproof.  Some of my observations:

-  the actor playing Ben's father was PISS POOR. Not a very convincing performance at all

- the boy actor playing Ben was also not very good.

- Ben as a boy mythology was SO NOT revealing or mysterious.  Ok, so he was a weird geeky kid who never said anything.  They could have made it much more interesting as a "Walt-like" kid who was 'special'.  Ok, so he saw his dead Mom, big freakin deal- so has everyone else on that island.

- the Purge was a MAJOR letdown...gassed DHARMA?  Please, since when does gas from a small cannister kill people who are all scattered about outside anyway?  The atmosphere would suck up the poison gas and it wouldn't be strong enough to kill, maybe knock out but not kill.

- the way Ben killed his father...totally bogus.  The father did not even try to open the car door to get out of the gas, he just sat there and died...how contrived!

-Jacob as 'invisible friend' of Ben.  Wow, what a stretch.  Talk about asking the audience to suspend disbelief...sheesh.  I did not like the setup or the scene...Ben appeared to be wacko psychosis suffering mental patient, as opposed to manipulating mastermind -which is what we have come to know him as.  No crazy person could ever pull off some of the mental manipulations he has been capable of.

-Locke getting killed...I don't know what to say about this scene...ok so he's going to come back from the dead or get healed.  Maybe a shark jumping moment for a later episode?

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Episode Failed to Deliver
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:37:03 PM »
did you actually believe Lost would be 100% realistic?
if it had to be there would be conspiracies of such huge proportions that THEY would be much harder to believe than accepting the fantasy world some writers have come up with.

i sincerely believe there's no way Locke is dead at all.

what you said about Ben's father not trying to open the door to escape the gas certainly has a point, but maybe the gas instantly paralyzes before it kills... just a thought.

the episode was great imo anyway.

Offline toof

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:56:24 PM »
tmack: i can't believe you didn't like Uncle Rico as Ben's dad!  ;)

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »
Ben's small gas cannister only killed his father, not everyone else.  There were no doubt gas cannisters going off all through the camp.  That is why Ben kept looking at his watch, so he would know when to synchronize the event...

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:59:43 PM »
did you actually believe Lost would be 100% realistic?
I have come to accept unrealistic in the 'unrealistic parts'- smoke monster, whispers etc....I can suspend disbelief for that- but not for the realistic scenes like someone fighting for their life.

i sincerely believe there's no way Locke is dead at all.
Me too but that encourages a major jump the shark moment in the future episodes.

what you said about Ben's father not trying to open the door to escape the gas certainly has a point, but maybe the gas instantly paralyzes before it kills... just a thought.
Well in that case they are making up the story as they go along. If they can come up with any lame excuse to make the story fit what they want, even though it isn't realistic, then the show has lost credibility.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:35:08 PM »

- the way Ben killed his father...totally bogus.  The father did not even try to open the car door to get out of the gas, he just sat there and died...how contrived!

NOT AT ALL BRO, YOUR FIRST INSTINCT WHEN GETTING GASSED IT TO BREATHE, I THINK THE LAST THING HE THOUGHT ABOUT WAS OPENING THE DOOR,

ALTHOUGH WHEN I WAS IN A GAS CHAMBER I HAD A MASK BUT STILL MY FIRST INSTINCT WAS TO GRAB MY THROAT

PLUS, I DIDNT GET A GREAT LOOK AT THAT CANISTER, BUT MORE THEN LIKELY IT PARALYZED OR WAS PARALYZING HIM

good post though

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 12:06:03 PM »
I disagree with everything except I also found the purge disappointing.  And the Juliet confrontation was disappointing.  But the acting was good, the story was good except for a few gaps.

Locke was only shot once in the rib cage area.  I don't think the island healing him is any more outrageous than healing his hand or healing his legs.  As for the Jacob scene... I think they handled it perfectly.  I was skeptical about how they'd handle the whole Jacob thing, but I think they did everything right, except for maybe showing a Kris Kristofferson look alike sitting in the chair.  But I like where the show is going and I think the last couple episodes have been excellent.

Offline cookiejack

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:59:57 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly.  I thought this episode was ludicrous and silly.  The great Jacob is really Ben's invisible friend who appears to be a poltergeist?  And Jack stomping back into camp all huffy and demanding to know where they got the recorder.  Suddenly, after sequestering himself with Juliet, he wants to be the big boss man again?  I was very disappointed and am beginning (slightly) to lose my interest in the show.  I do hope that Locke lives, though.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »

- the Purge was a MAJOR letdown...gassed DHARMA?  Please, since when does gas from a small cannister kill people who are all scattered about outside anyway?  The atmosphere would suck up the poison gas and it wouldn't be strong enough to kill, maybe knock out but not kill.

Just a thought... is there any way the fence would be able to be adjusted to form a dome of sorts over the camp?  That could be how they contained it.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:21:10 PM »
I agree with several things.

Actors-sucked but you got the point they were going for.

Purge-Totally sucked!!  There were people outside playing badmitton and sitting on park benches and they just "died" ??  I want to know what poison gas they used, because even the gas Saddam used on his people wasn't that good!!  Come on with an explanation!!

Roger dying-Understood it, but yeah he didn't reach to unbuckle or open the door at all. He did swat at Ben but maybe he was drunk a little and was reacting slow? (thats what i chalked it up to)

Jacob-the dialogue between Ben and him sucked and Locke's reaction to the voice was stupid. "what did you say?" there was NO way Ben said that and Locke knew it, but didn't question it anymore.  Invisible, okay but why was Ben so willing to take him there if he is that afraid of him?

I do hope that Locke dies, but doubt they will let him. Ben will try to let him but he won't die.

I did like the episode though.  I overlooked the stuff I could to enjoy it more than a lot of the episodes.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
I disagree with everything except I also found the purge disappointing.  And the Juliet confrontation was disappointing.  But the acting was good, the story was good except for a few gaps.

Locke was only shot once in the rib cage area.  I don't think the island healing him is any more outrageous than healing his hand or healing his legs.  As for the Jacob scene... I think they handled it perfectly.  I was skeptical about how they'd handle the whole Jacob thing, but I think they did everything right, except for maybe showing a Kris Kristofferson look alike sitting in the chair.  But I like where the show is going and I think the last couple episodes have been excellent.
  Ok, after rewatching I see how Locke could live- to your point about the island healing and all...but they have to show someway how Locke comes to be healed, does he have a major 'come to Jesus' revelation or does the smoke monster help or does he hear Jacob again and get motivated...something!  Not just appear out of nowhere in the jungle and challenge Jack with new superhuman powers...that's what I am afraid of- that they won't treat the Locke injury with the seriousness that it deserves.

I still stick to my guns on the episode, although after rewatching it I give it a 6 instead of a 5 on a 1-10 scale.  The Jacob deal as someone else said was all "Poltergeisty" and not original at all.  Looks like Lindelof and Cuse got sloppy with this episode concentrating soley on the finale.

As I said in another post, this is what Lost is becoming- two or three good episodes to open the season, followed by a bunch of crappy ones, with one or two average ones sandwiched towards the end, more crappy ones, then a majorly good finale.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »
I loved most of the show. Loved the early dharma days and the revelation that Ben lead the purge. Like seeing that Richard was an island native. How Ben became the guy he is today.

Not a big fan of the invisible jacob. Hard time wrapping my head around that story line. But I am willing to see how it plays out.

Locke recovering from a gunshot wound is not a big surprise. He was able to walk, Bite wound went away fast, Rose recoverd from cancer etc.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »
Locke's leg also healed very quickly after the blast door came down on it. 

I don't think the epi was a let-down.  I think we are in a stage of the show where we have to see some of the emotion and atmosphere of what we would call minor situations in order to understand the bigger picture.  We learned very quickly in Season 1 that these episodes are linked, no matter how much or little info we are given and we have to be patient to see what the brush strokes of this painting are going to create.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »
True,

plus we answered some small questions also. Why was there a big pile of tubes left there from the Pearl station. Because Dharma members were purged and no longer there to pick up the tubes.

see good stuff

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 04:21:07 PM »
Good point about the tubes from the Pearl Station, Jug!  I knew that's why they were probably there, but didn't think of it in terms of this epi!!

The one thing about Ben's past that I would have like to have seen this epi was how and why he took Alex.