Author Topic: Ben's Mom  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Ben's Mom
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »
Anyone else find it a little odd that Ben's Mother seemed to have died from the same problem as the women that get pregnant on the island.  Is it possible that Ben has brought this problem with him?  Or does he have such a link with the island that he is projecting his guilt and in doing so the island is not allowing women to live through pregnancy.  Maybe Ben is the true cancer to the island. 

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Mom
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
Interesting theory, Swank13.  I'll have to think about that one.  Also, though, it seems obvious now that the mystery of the portrait of the blonde-haired woman in Ben's living room was, indeed, of his mother.  I bet a side-by-side screen grab would put that one to rest.

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:11:25 PM »
Ben as the true cancer to the island? Wow, that's really interesting. I don't think so though, with the "hostiles" apparently not aging and stuff..

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »
I don't know, but I'm sure her dying during child birth is the reason why researching pregnancy on the island is so important to him.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:24:23 PM »
Great thought and insight...we'll have to check this out more!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:32:52 PM »
I think Ben's mom had it different than the women on the island.  Emily was 7 months along... that's into the last trimester.  Juliet said that no woman has carried beyond her second trimester.   I think Ben's mom was an unfortunate victim of circumstance- giving birth early, out in the woods, no doctors or experienced people to take care of her.

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:26 PM »
I agree that there are major similarities with the way Ben was born and how the women react to pregnancy on the island, but I can't find a way to REALLY link it for my thoughts.  I will say this, though.  We all talk about natives being on the island.  Is this pregnancy problem the reason why an ancient civilization was destroyed here?  I am one to see the possibility of Black Rock descendency--does this pregnancy problem prove that there weren't any descendents of the Black Rock?  And if there aren't any descendents of any kind on this island, then who the hell are all of these "Hostiles"!!??

I liked the epi--but I am so confused after learning so much of the story these last few epi's!! ??? ???

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »
I wanted to rephrase my last post, I want to explore the Ben = Cancer to the Island.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 08:19:07 PM »
This topic made me think of it, so I'm posting it here. It's a rough draft so please add to it if you think it's possible but don't bash me in the process ;)

Ben's momma dies during early childbirth.
Ben had a crappy upbringing with his retarded dad.
Ben's brought to an island that holds mysterious/powerful things.
Ben is fixated on successful pregnancies and successful deliveries.
Desmond is doing some sort of time travel type stuff.

What if Ben is using Desy's "time travel" junk to fix his momma's death? Come up with some sort of cure for the reason his mom died then taking it "back" for her to have...giving him the happy childhood he has always wanted and needed?

*ducking now..*

Don't hurt me!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 08:51:39 PM »
I agree that there are major similarities with the way Ben was born and how the women react to pregnancy on the island, but I can't find a way to REALLY link it for my thoughts.  I will say this, though.  We all talk about natives being on the island.  Is this pregnancy problem the reason why an ancient civilization was destroyed here?  I am one to see the possibility of Black Rock descendency--does this pregnancy problem prove that there weren't any descendent's of the Black Rock?  And if there aren't any descendent's of any kind on this island, then who the hell are all of these "Hostiles"!!??

I liked the epi--but I am so confused after learning so much of the story these last few epi's!! ??? ???

The Black Rock slave ship landed in about the 1800's our time,,the fou toed statue predates it  by hundreds of years by its architectural style.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 08:53:19 PM »
This topic made me think of it, so I'm posting it here. It's a rough draft so please add to it if you think it's possible but don't bash me in the process ;)

Ben's momma dies during early childbirth.
Ben had a crappy upbringing with his retarded dad.
Ben's brought to an island that holds mysterious/powerful things.
Ben is fixated on successful pregnancies and successful deliveries.
Desmond is doing some sort of time travel type stuff.

What if Ben is using Desy's "time travel" junk to fix his momma's death? Come up with some sort of cure for the reason his mom died then taking it "back" for her to have...giving him the happy childhood he has always wanted and needed?

*ducking now..*

Don't hurt me!
never hurt ya Chelle,but has much as ben knew about the island  and the hatches did he know about Des? He didn't know about the boat.he doesn't seem to know about Naomi or so he says , did Des fly under the radar?

Offline Balta

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »
it's so weird if ben didn't know about desmond or kelvin....or maybe that's why kelvin always wore the gas suits because he thought he might get "sick"  gas poising..possibly.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »
He may have originally thought he could be poisoned, but when Des follows him outside, Kelvin 1) has a tear in his suit and 2) took off his mask, then Desmond took off his handkerchief. 

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 12:55:42 AM »
Interesting theory, Swank13.  I'll have to think about that one.  Also, though, it seems obvious now that the mystery of the portrait of the blonde-haired woman in Ben's living room was, indeed, of his mother.  I bet a side-by-side screen grab would put that one to rest.

I don't think the portrait is of Emily Linus.  I am still sticking to my guns that it is Karen DeGroot.

Offline TXFlyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 01:06:02 AM »
What if it is a painting of a grown up Annie?  That's as reasonalble as anything else.