Author Topic: Natives co-mingle with DHARMA  (Read 4360 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Natives co-mingle with DHARMA
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 11:00:03 PM »
But klugh may have been a recruit like Juliet, we know richard was there a long time

I guess we need a Klugh flashback now lol.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »
lol, so many questions

Offline rjm.barnes@hotmail.co.uk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »
The show and its writers have given us reason to believe that Dharma was not the first beings on the island (the ruins, the 4-toed statue, Adam & Eve who apparently died before Dharma arrived). And Richard's seeming inability to age over a 30 year span hints at him not simply being a Dharma defector as well.

I agree WhatThe, the fact that Richard had hardly aged in 30years was a revelation and clearly indictes he is not a normal  human and so not Dharma or visitor, and so by process of elimination a native.
(ie Ben went from 10 when he first met Richard to 40 now, however Richard was probably about 25 when they first met and approximatly 35? now. They also have been living within the same group since the purge so location can't be a factor).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:44:49 PM by rjmb »

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »
There's something definitely up with Richard. He didn't age at all, he's manipulating things behind Ben back.....telling Locke how to kill his dad. I think Richard might even know that Ben's wasn't born on the island. When young Ben first meets Richard, young Ben tells Richard that his Mom is dead, and died off the Island when Ben was a baby.

The Dharma guy who brings Ben's Father to the island tells Ben's father that the hostiles are the local natives, and they (Dharma) don't really know who they (Hostiles) are.

The weird thing is why is Richard following Ben, and is all shocked when Ben & Locke were going to see Jacob? And why does Ben scoff when Locke says he's going to ask Richard about Jacob. Ben doesn't really seem mystified about Richard not aging.....but then again, Ben did ask Richard does he remember what Birthdays are, maybe hinting that Richard doesn't age.

Perhaps Richard is really the leader of the Others and is ruling from the shadows. All this Jacob stuff is BS hes doing to manipulate Ben.

Richard also seemed to have popped out of nowhere when Young Ben first meets him. Young Ben was an open clearing, how did Richard get so close so fast?

Richard = Smokie? LOL!

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 12:12:36 AM »
Back to the original post. Locke's attack came on the heels of him announcing that he and Ben were going to see Jacob which got everyone attention. So when he attacked patchy those guys were willing to let him go just see if Locke could pull what, so far, apparently only Ben can do. Go see Jacob.

When we first see Richard it looked like he was wearing 19th century garb. Combine that with his apparent inability to age and I'm going squarely in the native camp. I'm not buying the whole Dharma split thing. There is zero evidence of that. My guess is the ones who survived the purge were just sympathetic the cause of the 'hostiles'. Richard even challenged that assertion that it was him and his people who were 'hostile' and there is plenty we still don't know about just what Dharma had done. They were definitely aware of the supernatural characteristics of the island (some refeerence in the Candle/Wickman video) so it may have been them that were hostile toward the island by trying to harness it's powers.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
I think Richard following Ben has something to do with needing Ben to communicate with Jacob.  I don't think anyone else has that ability, until Locke showed up and now Ben knows Locke is a threat to his power, so he shoots him and leaves him for dead.  He's probably too scared to completely kill Locke because he doesn't want to anger Jacob.

I don't think Richard is a native for lots of reasons.  Native implies he was born on the island, but then there's just too many questions about who his parents were and how long he's been there and how did he become a scientist and why is he so interested in researching an island he was fricken born on.  It seems to me like Richard is fascinated with the mysteries of the island like any outsider would be, and if he was born on the island then he'd be naturally in tune with it, especially since babies can't be conceived on the island anymore.

I think the term "natives" was only used by Dharma as propaganda to keep people away from them.  Kind of a nice civilized way of calling them savages.  They probably knew the others were up to no good and the fence was really to keep them out.  If Richard is an island native then I don't think he's quite human.  I'm not saying it isn't possible that he really is a native, I'm just saying we should take everything Dharma tells its brand new employees with a grain of salt.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 01:56:37 AM »
I don't think Richard is a native for lots of reasons.  Native implies he was born on the island, but then there's just too many questions about who his parents were and how long he's been there and how did he become a scientist and why is he so interested in researching an island he was fricken born on.  It seems to me like Richard is fascinated with the mysteries of the island like any outsider would be, and if he was born on the island then he'd be naturally in tune with it, especially since babies can't be conceived on the island anymore.

I don't remember Richard being said to be a scientist...(??)

I never got the impression that Richard was "so interested" in researching the island. He seems passive, actually. The only two things I think we've seen him show an interest in so far are recruiting Juliet and getting Locke's father killed. All the stuff that Ben is doing he's said he feels is a waste of time.

I think the term "natives" was only used by Dharma as propaganda to keep people away from them.  Kind of a nice civilized way of calling them savages.  They probably knew the others were up to no good and the fence was really to keep them out.  If Richard is an island native then I don't think he's quite human.  I'm not saying it isn't possible that he really is a native, I'm just saying we should take everything Dharma tells its brand new employees with a grain of salt.

I think the term "native" wasn't due to any "savage" connotations, but was to literally refer to those people born on the island. I think "hostiles" was used for the "savage" connotations.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 02:16:38 AM »
Has anyone noticed the parallels between the hostiles and the losties? I believe Richard's hostiles are representative of all those who are trapped on the Island. They are neglected by the world, create new lives and then are infringed upon by "natives." The hostiles seek the same things the losties do; knowledge and freedom. They want to know what they're in on, understandably so. Once they become committed they share their knowledge of the Island with others. (MORE OTHER OTHERS) If they are truly committed and capable they can recruit others.

Dharma somehow misused/abused the Island's powers and created a few "incidents" or "purges". The factions are so incestuous and diluted. I still can't separate the two.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 04:13:18 AM »
how do we know that ben is 40 or 50.

this is just speculation as well.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2007, 09:56:02 AM »
how do we know that ben is 40 or 50.

this is just speculation as well.

My husband says he read somewhere that is was proven that Ben was born in 63? (He can't remember if that was the actual year or not..he (my hubby) could have messed that number up)

But it is somewhere out there on the net if someone wants to find it.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »
I'd like to see where it was "proven." There is no indicator on the show of Ben's age other than Jack's estimate. It was an x-ray of a 40-something man. Ben is in his low to mid forties.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
I'd like to see where it was "proven." There is no indicator on the show of Ben's age other than Jack's estimate. It was an x-ray of a 40-something man. Ben is in his low to mid forties.

I'll try to find it..or call him and ask him. But wouldn't born in 63 put him at 44..proving the mid to late 40s comment?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 10:53:13 AM »
Yes it would. It's kinda odd that we have a proven date tho.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 11:01:56 AM »
Maybe it was done by yr or make of cars?? People notice the oddest stuff on the show. Somehow someone can come up with it..

Offline rjm.barnes@hotmail.co.uk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 11:54:59 AM »

The hard evidence is that he's hardly aged since he first met Ben. It is more likely that someone from the island would age like that as opposed to someone that isn't. The rest is based on assumptions.

If Richard is an island native then I don't think he's quite human.  I'm not saying it isn't possible that he really is a native, I'm just saying we should take everything Dharma tells its brand new employees with a grain of salt.

If as you say 'I think he's not quite human' then he's more likely to be from the island. Dharma didn't fib about how he aged it was on the screen.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:57:37 AM by rjmb »