Author Topic: Richard Alpert Doesn't age?  (Read 23607 times)

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Alpert Doesn't age?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 01:26:14 AM »
Wouldn't Richard know that Ben is lying when he says he was born on the island?  Ben is aging and Richard is not (or at least slowly).  Could that mean there is another factor to aging?

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »
Not only has Richard ceded seniority to Ben, but he's allowing Ben to perpetrate a blatant lie about his place of birth. This is very weird to me. Remember, child Ben tells Richard in their first encounter that he isn't born on the island. Richard knows this and could tell everyone that Ben is a liar. But he doesn't. Yet, he's also working behind the scenes to empower Locke.  This is very interesting. 

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 01:27:19 AM »
Maybe Ben is saying he was born on the island because he considers the purge a "rebirth" and that he was the only survivor of it. 

Why does Richard leave the island but Ben doesn't?  That is wierd too.

And Ben doesn't want to leave the island, seemingly for anything.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 01:30:52 AM »
I think everyone probably knows that Ben wasn't born on the island.  Well, the people that were with Richard from the beginning, anyhow, they would've seen Ben.  What he says "born on the island" he is only saying it directly to the Losties (?)  Probably to emphasize that this is his island, he knows it better than anyone else... he is just coloring up the truth about his existence and the island.  Oh, and total fake out at the first part of the episode with Emily!

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »
Richard did clean himself up and he left the island to get Jules.

Jeronimo Jackson

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 01:50:44 AM »
The only things that comes to mind about him not aging is what we know about orangutan Joop and Alvar Hanso from the Lost Experience. Joop bing the oldest orangutan ever, and Hanso being over 100 years old and still looking like if he were in his 50's or 60's

...the fountain of youth is a spinoff of Hanso Foundation's life extension

Offline misseko815

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »
While I think that the crash survivors are flesh and bone, and most of the others (including Ben), I'm not sure that Jacob, smokey, or Richard are flesh and bone humans... ???

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 02:36:09 AM »
It's not only Richard who conceded power to Ben but all of the original inhabitants...
Out of this entire other society, why would they hand all the power over to a young 'other'? We are missing a huge chunk of that story... I want to know about the relationships that Ben had with these people in his growing up years. Obviously, something significant happened.

As for the aging/non aging thing on the island - I am taking a stand right now and completely disregarding the entire notion. There are tooooo many variables... How did Richard get to the age he is now if there is no aging? How did Alex grow up if there is no aging? It is just too complicated and I'm choosing not to waste any time speculating on it!! Who knows - it may be super important later on, but for now...

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 02:55:46 AM »
Ben told Locke that he is the only original and all others were brought there. If the Hostiles are natives then is Richard the only hostile left from the group?

And they age just like Superman, The older they get the slower they age.

Offline TXFlyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 03:07:56 AM »
It's possible that the Natives/Hostiles to the island age at an extremely slow rate.  When a smiling Richard enters Ben's tent he asks about the carved doll.  Ben says "It's my birthday. You remember birthdays don't you Richard?'  Richard countanance then fades.

Why would the others concede leadership to Ben? - When Richard encountered the young Ben in the jungle he asks if Ben saw his dead mother?  Seemed pretty fasinated by that.  Recall Ben told Locke he was the only one who talked to Jacob.  Perhaps the natives did not have the ability to talk to Jacob and saw Ben as special since he had seen his dead mother.  The natives could assume that the vision Ben had of his mother was Jacob in the form of Emily Linus.  That would make Ben special in their eyes and perhaps lead to Ben's leadership role.  He fills a role that the natives can not.

Offline iamlost2

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:56 AM »
The whole thing about ben's daddy forgeting his b'day must have really pissed him off & his dad blaming him for his mum's death. So, him killing his dad and the Ben summoning Locke to kill his dad in a similar fashion, is a way into the groupie or izit just Ben's way of doing things?

At least we know how that van Hurley was driving in that "feel good" epi got there on the hill and the corpse in it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 04:02:46 AM by iamlost2 »

Offline JoeyAlterman

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 04:32:53 AM »
the first shot of young Ben and his father entering via the dock, there are 2-3 men behind them, i'm sure i'm wrong but someone should check it out... is patchy in a suit behind them. and if it is him he would be a perfect example of another theory i read before that the island can prevent people from looking and getting older

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »
Maybe the hostiles were once a part of Dharma and they became frustrated with Dharma's "pointless" research and they wanted to explore the spiritual significance of the island.  And once again Ben is leading them down the pointless path so they began to look towards Locke for the future.

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:41 AM »
Ca
Maybe the hostiles were once a part of Dharma and they became frustrated with Dharma's "pointless" research and they wanted to explore the spiritual significance of the island.  And once again Ben is leading them down the pointless path so they began to look towards Locke for the future.
can't be, remember that the guy who brought Ben and his Dad to the Island said they didn't know much about the natives. If they were Darma I'm sure he would know, and they wouldn't all be quite so scared of there own people,even if they did revolt.

Offline dymonaz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »
Well I was really surprised about Richard's non-aging. By now I think that it's:
a) Young Ben did NOT meet Richard which is either he saw a vision or he "met" smokie (or whatever it is that shows the visions to everyone else e.g. jack, eko, ..)
b) It was not "Richard" he met - it was Richard's um... clone-parent
c) Richard does not age.

And all of these theories sound stupid or at least none of them stands out as "most probable" ;/ Any other ideas?