Author Topic: Richard Alpert Doesn't age?  (Read 27701 times)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Richard Alpert Doesn't age?
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:20:29 AM »
I'm surprised no one has wondered about this yet.  What was up with Richard in Ben's flashback?  The guy apparently hasn't aged in 30 years.  And it was weird how he just appeared there, and he called Ben by his name, but I don't remember Ben ever telling him his name, but I could be wrong about that.  I'm so confused.  We know the island doesn't affect aging... Ben has aged... Alex has aged...

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Alpert Doesn't age?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:40:31 AM »
Maybe its just the original inhabitants (the hostiles) that don't age.  I thought it was very odd too.  And Maxor....I'm so confused too.  I think I might be more confused right now than ever.  lol.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:42:29 AM »
Richard is the true "other", he was on the island from the beggining and he got Ben to do the purge. Ben is a traitor to Dharma.

Young Ben told Richard his name in the woods.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »
They don't age and they can't procreate. 

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:45:31 AM »
Yes, it does seem like either the Other's are almost immortal and don't age, or that they just do so veeeery slowly.  I think the reason for this is separate from the magnetism, because Ben was there for many years and (apparently) hasn't reaped any of the benefits of not aging. 

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »
I noticed that Richard hasn't aged, it's as if Ben has out aged him. If only those born on the Island don't age, then what will become of baby Arron? Maybe it's just the natives that don't age. You know its funny, it seems like Locks character has gotten a bit younger since his flash backs, could this be because he is "special"?

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:47:05 AM »
The only things that comes to mind about him not aging is what we know about orangutan Joop and Alvar Hanso from the Lost Experience. Joop bing the oldest orangutan ever, and Hanso being over 100 years old and still looking like if he were in his 50's or 60's

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:47:37 AM »
Now we have to wait for some sort of Richard flashback to see who these "natives" are, what they're doing there and how they got there.  If they were truly born on the island, then how did they age in the first place?  I wonder if Ethan was a part of that group too.  I forgot to look at the people who appeared with gas masks to see if anyone looked familiar.  Hopefully someone will be able to get a transcript of what the voices are saying.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:59:17 AM »
Yes, unless Richard was born a grown man, he must have aged at some point.  I find it hard to believe that you just stop again all together once you hit a certain point, but it could be some immunity to aging that the "natives" have somehow or another.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 01:11:39 AM »
Another thing that crossed my mind is that Richard was basically the catalyst in both Locke and Ben killing their fathers, although Locke did it more indirectly, he was still responsible.  And in both instances it seemed to be a sort of initiation into the Others.

Offline ButchFitz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 01:13:41 AM »
While on the topic of Richard, how do you think Ben has managed to gain seniority over the him? It appeared to me like Richard was a pretty important "hostile", so why is he now following Ben's commands? Could it have something to do with Ben's special connection to the island?

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 01:17:46 AM »
Another thing that crossed my mind is that Richard was basically the catalyst in both Locke and Ben killing their fathers, although Locke did it more indirectly, he was still responsible.  And in both instances it seemed to be a sort of initiation into the Others.

Good point.  But these men's father's were also baggage for them-- their dad's treated them like crap and Locke and Ben couldn't really get over it if they were still alive.  I'm sure there is some initiation, or proof that people have to go through to pledge themselves to the others.  It could be the circumstances, though.  I mean, if someone was going to be an other but couldn't get passed that their kid had been killed by a drunk driver or something... then they had to kill the driver as the initiation... I'm just saying I don't think it's necessarily fathers that have to die. 

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 01:19:32 AM »
While on the topic of Richard, how do you think Ben has managed to gain seniority over the him? It appeared to me like Richard was a pretty important "hostile", so why is he now following Ben's commands? Could it have something to do with Ben's special connection to the island?

Sort of like whats happening presently with Locke. It looks like every member of the Others are looking at Locke as a messiah figure, as they might of don for Ben at one point?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 01:23:52 AM by gakhandal »

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 01:21:28 AM »
Maybe Ben is saying he was born on the island because he considers the purge a "rebirth" and that he was the only survivor of it. 

Why does Richard leave the island but Ben doesn't?  That is wierd too.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 01:22:29 AM »
Well... Ben is kinda... socially inept....