Author Topic: religious imagery and more...  (Read 2126 times)

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
religious imagery and more...
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »
Besides the Brig finally managing to send shivers to my spine for the first time since season one, it was also clearly very abundant in religious analogies. Apart from a) the reversed Abraham/Isaac sacrifice (whether Locke was really supposed to give in and kill his father or not is up to question anyways) there was b) Sawyer barefoot through the jungle? Doesn't that remind you of Jesus' martyrdom? and what about c) the final scene where Locke puts that dead father sack on his shoulder in the exact same manner that Jesus is usually depicted to have carried the cross?

Oh, ok, one could say, Cooper or whatever his real name is is, in some sense, the cross Locke has had to bear in his life - first the lack of father, then the kidney theft, then the falling-down-the-window part. He suffered because of his dad a great lot indeed. But what if this is hinting at something bigger?

During the episode many of the others are hinting at Locke being someone they had been waiting for. They even look at him with excitement and anticipation. Ben tells him that he is not who they thought he was. So they were, indeed, waiting for someone who might or might not be Locke. Locke also supposedly healed Ben's spine - you got your miracle there too. So the Others are somewhat of a lost people, waiting for their Messiah and hoping that he will soon arrive.

What this might lead to I'm not sure. What it does make me think is that the Others might be even more lost than the losties, metaphorically. Especially their leaving the "old place" scene made me think of the Bible.

Any thoughts?

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: religious imagery and more...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:10:27 AM »
I was think about this the other day and I too am vary excited to see were TPTB go with this one.

Offline Tekkaman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:59:20 PM »
When Locke entered the hatch for the first time desmond asked: are you him?

Have we ever gotten an explenation who he meant with him? Did he just mean someone to release him pushing the button?

Offline FireLily

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:16:23 PM »
When Locke entered the hatch for the first time desmond asked: are you him?

Have we ever gotten an explenation who he meant with him? Did he just mean someone to release him pushing the button?

that's the impression i was under.