Author Topic: We’ve done this before.  (Read 3379 times)

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
We’ve done this before.
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »
When Ben was telling Locke how they were planning on abducting all of the pregnant women, Locke seemed concerned for their safety.  To reassure Locke Ben said something like, “Don’t worry, we’ve done this before”.

Did he mean the other people from 815 that they abducted, or did he mean there have been other times when people have just showed up on the island and they did their thing to them.

It still strikes me that although they did not appear to know the plane was coming when it crashed, they did not seem as surprised as most people would have been.  They quickly moved into action, Ben sending Goodwin and Ethan to infiltrate, Patchy started gathering information, like they had all done this sort of thing before.

Is it possible that the island attracts planes, ships and balloons periodically so they can get new test subjects?

Just a few thoughts rattling around in my head.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: We’ve done this before.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:20:05 PM »
He was talking about Claire and abducting all the kiddies.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 04:22:13 PM »
It's possible they have done this before to people other than the 815 passengers.

Offline refinnej

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 04:46:01 PM »
Even if Ben was talking about Claire and the kiddies, they still went about abducting them in a way that suggests they've done this sort of thing before. Same thing with the plane crashing. I mean they didn't seem the least bit surprised when it happened.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 05:13:11 PM »
Ben says something like "we've done this before, no one gets hurt"

If he is talking about Ethan and Claire, well lets see Chairlie ends up hung (and saved) and Ethan ends up dead. So not sure this is a good example of "no one gets hurt"

Offline bubbles

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 05:20:03 PM »
When Ben was telling Locke how they were planning on abducting all of the pregnant women, Locke seemed concerned for their safety.  To reassure Locke Ben said something like, “Don’t worry, we’ve done this before”.

Did he mean the other people from 815 that they abducted, or did he mean there have been other times when people have just showed up on the island and they did their thing to them.

It still strikes me that although they did not appear to know the plane was coming when it crashed, they did not seem as surprised as most people would have been.  They quickly moved into action, Ben sending Goodwin and Ethan to infiltrate, Patchy started gathering information, like they had all done this sort of thing before.

Is it possible that the island attracts planes, ships and balloons periodically so they can get new test subjects?

Just a few thoughts rattling around in my head.

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here.  I think that you are right that the island attracks vessels of all sorts.  We know that Desmond crashed there, flight 815, the black rock got there somehow, the hot air balloon that carried the real Henry Gale, the new girl and her helicopter, and the plane the held Eko's brother.  For me that is too many crashes for one small island in the middle of the ocean. 

I would not say that these vessels are being attracked to the island for the purpose of being used as test dummies or baby factories by the others, I think that is just an added bonus of it for them.  I think that it is some natural aspect of the island that draws them in.  Possibly the electro magnet.

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 11:03:58 AM »
Don't forget Ben took Alex once upon a time and neither she or her mother were hurt. Maybe this is were it started 16 years ago? At least for Ben.

Offline jec9000

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 11:37:14 AM »
The feeling I am getting from the collective mysterious statements about Ben's Others being the "good guys" is that they perceive anyone in their select group as on an entirely different moral plane from other human beings.  They have operated on that belief and anyone who is not "special" (I am still perplexed by their criteria) is almost subhuman and if in the course of furthering the Other's agenda some of the "inferiors" are killed, maimed or traumatized ir doesn't really matter.  Example--Charlie being hanged by Ethan.  He was flawed so his existence didn't matter one way or the other and there was no moral consequence to Ethan killing him or leaving him to die.  It is almost as if there is a big X on these so called inferiors and if you can use them for some purpose so be it, but they are completely expendable and not worth the moral bother of worrying about.  Kind of like lab rats. This also helps me to understand why killing Anthony Cooper is not only going to be excused (if Locke carries it out) but is actually encouraged because it furthers John's inward journey.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
Great post!

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you, but I do think that some of the Others (Ben, Mikhail for example) believe they are superior to the rest of us. I think the rest of the Others (Juliet, et al) believe themselves to be on the same level as the Losties.

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
Great post!

I'm not sure I entirely agree with you, but I do think that some of the Others (Ben, Mikhail for example) believe they are superior to the rest of us. I think the rest of the Others (Juliet, et al) believe themselves to be on the same level as the Losties.

I agree! Remember when Juliet talked about Clair's kidnapping, she said Ethan acted out of the plan and that he made it up as he went. This shows that some have stronger motives and will do anything to get what they want. Maybe this is part of the seperation in the others.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 06:10:33 PM »
I think this shows that Ethan thought he was better than the Losties and didn't respect human life, but Juliet did. She didn't sound to happy that Ethan made up the plan as he went along.

Offline jec9000

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »
JB-I hope you are right about Juliet.  She does seem to have an understanding or maybe feels more of a connection than the other "Others" with the Losties because she came willingly at first but now is in the same circumstance as they are, stuck there with no immediate means of getting back to where she really wants to be.  I think it again shows the duality of her character and that is what makes her so interesting.  I think it is fascinating that her plot line could go either way, "good" or "bad" and be totally believable whichever way it ends up.