Author Topic: Central Theme?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Central Theme?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 02:04:35 PM »
I think the theme is good and evil and how the definition of each is relative.

How do you see reality?

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
Redemption > Conspiracy... it's all still speculation at this point to think that some grand conspiracy tied all of these people together on this island and caused their lives to connect... and even still, the show is about so much more than conspiracies... conspiracy just doesn't fit, that's more of an X-Files theme, and I wouldn't even say it was the central theme of that show either, although I really didn't watch it much.  The mysteries and conspiracies going on are pretty much meaningless... they're macguffins... they're just a means to advance a story.  I think the show is much more interested in the characters and exploring how they evolve as individuals and as a community compared to how they were off the island.  That's why half of every episode involves a flashback for a character.  They're meant to show us how every character has a dark past that they're trying to fix or trying to escape, and the flashbacks show how that character has changed.  Redemption is the best theme I can think of to tie everything together.

I don't think it is speculation when JJ Abrahms says in an interview when asked what is LOST all about? (paraphrasing but I think I posted it in here somewhere) In the end LOST is about people that are emotionally lost who get on a plane in Sidney and become physically lost in the world. Once they find themselves emotionally they will also find themselves in the physical world.

So while I agree that redemption isn't the right word and while not a purgatory story it is awfully similar. I have tended to express it as 'coming to terms' with who you are. Eko being a good example because while he did good things and bad he ultimately came to terms with the choices he made and had no regrets. Of course smokey killed him for it but hey... that's out of my control!

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 02:53:18 PM »
People will do anything to achieve what they want.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 02:57:04 PM »
Redemption > Conspiracy... it's all still speculation at this point to think that some grand conspiracy tied all of these people together on this island and caused their lives to connect... and even still, the show is about so much more than conspiracies... conspiracy just doesn't fit, that's more of an X-Files theme, and I wouldn't even say it was the central theme of that show either, although I really didn't watch it much.  The mysteries and conspiracies going on are pretty much meaningless... they're macguffins... they're just a means to advance a story.  I think the show is much more interested in the characters and exploring how they evolve as individuals and as a community compared to how they were off the island.  That's why half of every episode involves a flashback for a character.  They're meant to show us how every character has a dark past that they're trying to fix or trying to escape, and the flashbacks show how that character has changed.  Redemption is the best theme I can think of to tie everything together.

I don't think it is speculation when JJ Abrahms says in an interview when asked what is LOST all about? (paraphrasing but I think I posted it in here somewhere) In the end LOST is about people that are emotionally lost who get on a plane in Sidney and become physically lost in the world. Once they find themselves emotionally they will also find themselves in the physical world.

So while I agree that redemption isn't the right word and while not a purgatory story it is awfully similar. I have tended to express it as 'coming to terms' with who you are. Eko being a good example because while he did good things and bad he ultimately came to terms with the choices he made and had no regrets. Of course smokey killed him for it but hey... that's out of my control!
love love love the analogy.  thanks.  lost emotionally/lost physically then found physically/found emotionally, i really really like it.

musepsycho

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 07:22:57 AM »
Yeah, I agree with the conspiracy angle. I suspect Ben & Alpert were plotting together to trick Locke & Sawyer/Ford. Jack & Juliet are up to something. & of course, we start to see a huge conspiracy about the plane crash. I heard a listener comment on LostCasts: there was a guy reminding us of a abc produced website that stated that the crash was being investigated by the Hanso Foundation, & that all information & questions were to be directed towards them. I guess the HF wanted to know everything everybody knew in order to tailor a credible story.

Looking forward to the podcast!

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 11:14:21 PM »

Yes Yes Yes!!
and they are given the opportunity to redo or relive things over and over it seems, for a chance to make things right
I can't remember how it was put in the S3 Survivor guide but the producers said as much.  I have been meaning to go back and watch it again and put it down word for word because it struck me as a key...but sadly i still have not.

Ladybug very nice post!!!  Very well put

Offline bubbles

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 06:06:51 PM »
I think that you are right.  The characters are given chances on the Island to get things right that they had wrong before getting to the Island.  James gets to kill Sawyer, Locke is finally rid of his father.  Off the Island Locke was given numerous chances to let go of the hold his father had over him and time and time again he could not do it.  The Island, or Ben (or the Island via Ben?) finally had to force him to make the right choice and do away with the man that had ruined his life in so many ways.  James became a murderer off the Island in trying to fulfill his need for revenge.  Sadly his plan went badly and he ended up becoming a murdered with innocent blood on his hands.  This episode let them both make these mistakes right.  Is this a form of the universe "course correcting"?  Is Ben altering their destinies or causing them to realize their fate?

And what about Richard Alpert?  Do you think that he is really working for Ben by telling Locke to get James?  Or is he one of the others that Juliet spoke of in the episode where she tries to get Jack to kill Ben?  Seeing how she seems to genuinely dislike Ben while continuing to do his bidding would lend creedence to the idea that there really are two factions of others.  One that is with Ben and one that is trying to undermine his authority from within.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »
I think that you are right.  The characters are given chances on the Island to get things right that they had wrong before getting to the Island.  James gets to kill Sawyer, Locke is finally rid of his father.  Off the Island Locke was given numerous chances to let go of the hold his father had over him and time and time again he could not do it.  The Island, or Ben (or the Island via Ben?) finally had to force him to make the right choice and do away with the man that had ruined his life in so many ways.  James became a murderer off the Island in trying to fulfill his need for revenge.  Sadly his plan went badly and he ended up becoming a murdered with innocent blood on his hands.  This episode let them both make these mistakes right.  Is this a form of the universe "course correcting"?  Is Ben altering their destinies or causing them to realize their fate?

And what about Richard Alpert?  Do you think that he is really working for Ben by telling Locke to get James?  Or is he one of the others that Juliet spoke of in the episode where she tries to get Jack to kill Ben?  Seeing how she seems to genuinely dislike Ben while continuing to do his bidding would lend creedence to the idea that there really are two factions of others.  One that is with Ben and one that is trying to undermine his authority from within.

Good points!!