Author Topic: Do you have to murder someone to be an Other...  (Read 4789 times)

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have to murder someone to be an Other...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 12:26:39 AM »
Then we have a few others besides Locke who as far as we know haven't killed anyone - Rose, Bernard, Sun, Jin, Charlie, the now dearly departed Shannon and Boone, etc. 

Sun killed that OTHER CHIC who came aboard the sailboat. Plus she may have killed the Chinese guy who was giving her "English lessons". Boom-shaka-laka! w00t! That's right.... I said it!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:38:15 AM »
Then we have a few others besides Locke who as far as we know haven't killed anyone - Rose, Bernard, Sun, Jin, Charlie, the now dearly departed Shannon and Boone, etc. 

Sun killed that OTHER CHIC who came aboard the sailboat. Plus she may have killed the Chinese guy who was giving her "English lessons". Boom-shaka-laka! w00t! That's right.... I said it!
Also- Charlie killed Ethan.

btw- the Producers confirmed that JaeLee did commit suicide.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 01:28:58 AM »
I still find it weird that the tailies who were kidnapped initially could stand there and watch Locke try to kill his father and not be horrified by the whole experience. What has happened to these people that they're all going along with a ritual like this?

Or are they playing part in Locke's island-induced halucination?

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 01:32:54 AM »

Okay, I did not know that. Interesting...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 01:34:54 AM »

Okay, I did not know that. Interesting...
But you're right, anyway.  She did kill Colleen.

Offline Capemail

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 02:48:41 AM »
Creflo - as far as having killed someone before or not, I think among the main losties there are a few borderline cases...  Jack, who as far as we know never directly killed anyone, but allowed Adam Rutherford (Shannon's father) to die while he tried to save Sara.  Also Hurley, who I think came closest when he accidently caused the balcony to collapse (I think some of the other people on the balcony died).  Then we have a few others besides Locke who as far as we know haven't killed anyone - Rose, Bernard, Sun, Jin, Charlie, the now dearly departed Shannon and Boone, etc. 

Sun and Charlie have killed people. Jin contributed to the cause of a suicide, and even Bernard indirectly kept Boone on the plane that killed him (that one was a reach, I know, just rambling off on names you listed).

And barring him possessing knowledge unbeknownst to us, as far as Locke knows, he had already killed someone (Mikhail)

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 04:44:21 AM »
Sun and Charlie have killed people. Jin contributed to the cause of a suicide, and even Bernard indirectly kept Boone on the plane that killed him (that one was a reach, I know, just rambling off on names you listed).

And barring him possessing knowledge unbeknownst to us, as far as Locke knows, he had already killed someone (Mikhail)

Yes. And so it goes....

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 11:43:47 AM »
Bernard killed boone. I don't think so. Major stretch there

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 02:00:15 PM »
Jack killed the Marshall.  Sawyer went into shoot him but hit his lung instead of his heart so Jack suffocated him, I think.   As for Rose and Bernard, we don't know much about their past, they don't seem like the type to kill but neither did Sun...

I find it interesting that an overwhelming number of people on the island have caused the death of someone else.  I don't think you need to commit murder to become an other.  It could've just been a test specific for Locke.  Killing his father was supposed to free him.  Another example, maybe Juliet's test of freedom was abandoning her home and her family for the island. 

I'd say the test of will changes from person to person. 

Offline Tekkaman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 01:46:45 PM »
Lets not forget Locke has killed too. Remeber Mikhail!
So why is Locke able to kill Mikhail who has not done much to upset him, but he has troubles killing his kidney-stealing dad.

Offline jec9000

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »
I think Locke couldn't kill his father because he wasn't the one who "brought" him to the island.  Sawyer was.  So Sawyer had to be the one to clean up the mess.  Locke may not be consciously aware of why he couldn't do it, (or he may be aware but can't articulate it in front of Ben), but Ben set him up to fail in front of the gathered others.

Now, the question is...does Ben know that it wasn't Locke that brought Anthony Cooper to the island, but Sawyer?  I think so because Ben knew that Locke couldn't-wouldn't-shouldn't kill Cooper according to the islands esoteric mystical rules of conduct.  It had to be Sawyer.  And that strengthened Ben's authority by humiliating Locke.  But I don't think he knew Alpert would give Locke the file on Sawyer.   So that leads to another question.  Is Sawyer actually the one they were/are waiting for? I really don't think so, but it is a fascinating thought.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 10:21:02 PM »
Actually... Ben brought Cooper to the island. He brought him so that Locke would kill him, and fate turned it so that Sawyer could take him out instead.