Author Topic: Why doesn't Cooper/Sawyer/whatshisname want to live?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Why doesn't Cooper/Sawyer/whatshisname want to live?
« on: May 03, 2007, 11:18:14 AM »
What really really struck me as odd is that, Cooper doesn't beg to be left alive.  He says Locke doesn't have the guts to kill him, but never asks for life?  Is it because he thinks he's already dead?  I don't think so, because to me even if you are dead, you would still beg to no be put in more pain, which is what locke/sawyer were going to do to him. 

Any thoughts?

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't Cooper/Sawyer/whatshisname want to live?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:20:46 AM »
 Good point!!.......I think he was trying to con Locke and then Sawyer to keep him alive...that is what he knows.  I doubt he knows how to beg for his life, he seems used to being able to manipulate to get what he wants.

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:21:21 AM »
He really thought he was already in Hell, what would be the point? What good would it do?

Not to mention he is (was) one smug, confident SOB!

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:23:56 AM »
He really thought he was already in Hell, what would be the point? What good would it do?

Not to mention he is (was) one smug, confident SOB!
but being shot, knifed, strangled would still HURT and if you're already dead it would hurt like HELL (pun intended), and there would be no end to it because you can't die twice.  THEREFORE, WHY DIDN'T HE BEG TO NOT BE INFLICTED MORE PAIN???
Good point!!.......I think he was trying to con Locke and then Sawyer to keep him alive...that is what he knows.  I doubt he knows how to beg for his life, he seems used to being able to manipulate to get what he wants.
i like this idea.  i hadn't really thought of the con angle.  but what if is all one big con by ben?

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »
Yes LB I thought of that too
He was sooooo smug the whole time
I mean if your afraid of what might happen to you, you would think that you would be a bit more humble
Good point LB

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »
I think his personality that we have seen would indicate that he can see weakness.

He knows Locke and his tendancies, and then when he saw Sawyer tearing up, he thought that the strong approach would break them. Obviously, he was wrong.

he's a con man... he knows how to play on emotions. I think he didnt beg for his life because the strong pushy type generally works on the vulnerable.

just a thought

Offline TXFlyboy

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
Since Cooper already believed he was in hell as a result of being dead then he wouldn't think he could be killed again, however he might consider the pain he feels a part of his life in hell.  The Good Book says there will be wailing and knashing of teeth.  I think he thought pain was a part of hell and that he would be living with that for eternity.

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:44:49 AM »
The only thing that mattered to Cooper was money and a healthy lifestyle, he would strive to get that by conning etc.
Cooper realised that money, privilages etc. were not on this island so there was no real point of him living when he knew he was doomed in the first place.