Author Topic: How will the "murder" of "Sawyer affect "James"  (Read 9460 times)

Offline Lost_Is_My_Favorite

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: How will the "murder" of "Sawyer affect "James"
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 10:39:46 PM »
Well, for me, he could take his shirt off and all would be well with the world again.  LOL   

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 10:55:58 PM »
Well aside from that LOL
I was asking more a long the lines of his spiritual state
Like if the island is really all about redemption etc... then what will this "murder" do for him.
Will he now continue to be a bad guy? will he get another chance?  Will smokey "smoke" him?

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 10:27:28 AM »
Inside James Ford was Sawyer, the con man who ruined his family. James was on 815 soley because he wanted to kill "Sawyer", both in fact and metaphorically. We've seen him demonstrating his soft candy filling on several occasions: his feelings for Kate, backing out of the con where the kid (who he saw as himself) came in to the room and in setting up the trust fund for Clem.
In Sydney he killed the wrong man, which has to have caused him guilt with which he had no life training to deal.
He needed to kill Fireman DeSoto in order to even the imbalance caused with the death of the shrimp vendor. Fireman DeSoto only made it worse for himself, sealing his own fate, when he said that Mary Ford (no relation to Les Paul, I'm sure, and wasn't her name Brooke in the episode where she and James' father die?) begged him to take the $38,000. James has had that same experience and on at least one occasion and he backed away. The implication that it was his mother at fault, not the con man, added fuel to the fire.
In the "redemption" stakes I think that James exacted a karmic justice for which he would admit his role and whatever guilt goes along with that role. If he meets a "smokey" judgement I think that he'll come out of it better than Eko did.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »
I was thinking that Smokie might take him out once he resolved the issue that drove him for so long, but when the episode ended and he was still alive (and with the tape to bring to the Losties and all that will follow that), I'm convinced he will be around for quite a while longer.  Now that he has delivered his letter and then some, even back home he would have no more need to live the life of a con man.  He will either lose his angry demeaner and go on to lead the Losties or he will wallow in guilt, which in my opinion will not make for exciting TV.  I'm just hoping that he doesn't lose the sarcasm!

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
Well aside from that LOL
I was asking more a long the lines of his spiritual state
Like if the island is really all about redemption etc... then what will this "murder" do for him.
Will he now continue to be a bad guy? will he get another chance?  Will smokey "smoke" him?

after our "other" discussion in email, i have really got to thinking.  will sawyer now be killed off?  with the death of the real sawyer is his story "complete"?  i hope not, but what is left for us to learn about sawyer?  what are the big questions still relating to him?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 12:58:37 PM »
Well aside from that LOL
will sawyer now be killed off?  with the death of the real sawyer is his story "complete"?  i hope not, but what is left for us to learn about sawyer?  what are the big questions still relating to him?

He has alot of potential as a future leader of the Losties.  But you are right, there isn't much left for the flashbacks to touch on.  Will they keep him around as a key player without having any "Sawyer-centric" episodes?  Or will they invent new angles to his story and new mysteries for us to debate?

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
Well aside from that LOL
will sawyer now be killed off?  with the death of the real sawyer is his story "complete"?  i hope not, but what is left for us to learn about sawyer?  what are the big questions still relating to him?

He has alot of potential as a future leader of the Losties.  But you are right, there isn't much left for the flashbacks to touch on.  Will they keep him around as a key player without having any "Sawyer-centric" episodes?  Or will they invent new angles to his story and new mysteries for us to debate?

Do we know how much time passed between him setting up the trust fund/getting out of jail and heading off to Sydney? There could be some unmined flashback material along that story line.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »
Inside James Ford was Sawyer, the con man who ruined his family. James was on 815 soley because he wanted to kill "Sawyer", both in fact and metaphorically. We've seen him demonstrating his soft candy filling on several occasions: his feelings for Kate, backing out of the con where the kid (who he saw as himself) came in to the room and in setting up the trust fund for Clem.
In Sydney he killed the wrong man, which has to have caused him guilt with which he had no life training to deal.
He needed to kill Fireman DeSoto in order to even the imbalance caused with the death of the shrimp vendor. Fireman DeSoto only made it worse for himself, sealing his own fate, when he said that Mary Ford (no relation to Les Paul, I'm sure, and wasn't her name Brooke in the episode where she and James' father die?) begged him to take the $38,000. James has had that same experience and on at least one occasion and he backed away. The implication that it was his mother at fault, not the con man, added fuel to the fire.
In the "redemption" stakes I think that James exacted a karmic justice for which he would admit his role and whatever guilt goes along with that role. If he meets a "smokey" judgement I think that he'll come out of it better than Eko did.

I agree with everything you said.  James Ford is not a murderer at heart.  I think that the "Sawyer" part of James died on that ship. 

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
Great point.  Like the evil in Darth Vader died when he killed the Emperor.

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 04:05:34 PM »
Great point.  Like the evil in Darth Vader died when he killed the Emperor.

Exactly!!  But I can't say that cuz Astro is already accusing me of stealing his ideas.  ;)

(but he isn't here, so we won't tell him!  ;D)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »
I don't think there is any way that Sawyer gets killed off on this show.  He is one of the most central characters to the framework of the show in so many ways.  There is plenty more to do with his character with showing how much he will change from this and how he will grow.  Will he find that killing his age-old nemesis will free him from a burden and release the huge weight off his shoulder?  Or will he find that the act of vengeance - something he spent his whole life searching for - just didn't help?  Will he now have to carry this burden?  We know Locke is free of his burden - he said as much at the end of the episode.  But Sawyer?  Time will tell.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »
My guess is that it will eat him alive
I think deep down he is good and this will not ease his pain, but make it worse.
Will the island think he is evil?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »
The show notes for the upcoming episodes state that Sawyer will be dealing with this new found information and his killing of Cooper with a heavy heart.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 07:16:04 PM »
The show notes for the upcoming episodes state that Sawyer will be dealing with this new found information and his killing of Cooper with a heavy heart.
:'(  He needs a hug.  :'(  Any volunteers? :)

Offline TXFlyboy

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
It will be interesting to watch.  His entire life since witnessing his parents death as been about revenge.   It has motivated his travels and interactions.  Like so many other addictions he had become what he despised the most but could not let that "demon" stop driving his life.  Now that the demon is gone is there enough of "James" left to fill the void of the revenge driven Sawyer?