Author Topic: Did Ben Mean For Locke To Take The Recorder?  (Read 8499 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Did Ben Mean For Locke To Take The Recorder?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
Richard is working with Ben. He gives Locke the file of the man who is most skeptical of Juliet - Sawyer. He says that the fertility work is not important, which could mean that what Juliet is supposedly doing as a "mole" has nothing to do with research. Ben wants Locke to have the recorder, wants him to get Sawyer angry and bring out his worst, wants him to give Sawyer the recorder.
Sawyer is obviously going to stir up a mess. This can lead to the splitting of the Losties, or possibly getting back at Juliet. Juliet has gone against Ben, and she was supposed to die. Obviously that did not happen as Ben was forced to give the order that she stay alive. Ben does not go back on his word, as exemplified with the submarine situation, but looks for ways to get around it. Bringing out the anger of someone who hates her (with evidence against her) while leaving himself blameless. It all works for Ben if that's what he wants. Not really sure what would exactly happen to Juliet, though, which makes this even tougher for me to believe.
My point: Ben knew, and he wanted to tape recorder to be exactly where it is now.

This is one of the best theories I've read on this episode.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »

Seriously, I think Ben is about to be outplayed by Locke. If we are to think of these long-cons or master strategies as chess games we have some good foreshadowing that Locke is the man.

Oooh I do hope so!  Locke is a master of games... chess... backgammon..... why show us this logical, meticulous side of him if it wasn't going to come into play?  I think he has his every move planned out, I mean, Cooper was probably a surprise... but he knows what he is doing.

Offline Tekkaman

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »
It is all part of the plan. Ben is tired of the losties coming to look for them every time they kidnap someone. So a raid is not a good idea. But if he makes sure Juliet is exposed, she will be forced to tell the truth. She will tell why she wants to take the women. Sun will back her up. The losties will react heavy but eventually the pregnant women will go with Juliet in a peaceful way, because it is a win-win situation. The losties need Juliet to have a chance to be healed and the others will get the women needed for their research.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »
Assuming Sawyer reveals the tape recorder to the rest of the Losties, what is this going to do to Jack??  I think Ben made it way too obvious with the recorder - he either wanted Locke to get it, or it was a test to see what Locke would do with it.  Is this a plan by Ben to pit the survivors against Jack for good by outing Juliet and showing the Losties that Jack let in a mole?  Even if it wasn't directly Ben's plan, Jack ends up on the short end of the stick.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »
Sawyer may not even show the recorder to most people... probably Kate at least, but he hasn't been to sharing with his other finds, like the walkie talkie, or the guns.  He may try to make his own plan with it.  I don't know... speculation!

It does seem like Ben obviously put it in a spot Locke would be able to find.... that could just be the director, telling us "Ben had this, see?  Right here..."

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 11:22:50 PM »
Hurley just nominated Sawyer as Leader, so I think he feels a little responsible to the rest of the Losties. I think he'll show it to Jack, maybe first.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »
Hurley just nominated Sawyer as Leader, so I think he feels a little responsible to the rest of the Losties. I think he'll show it to Jack, maybe first.
Sawyer shows the tape recorder and plays Juliette's recording to the entire camp in the next episode.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
Sawyer shows the tape recorder and plays Juliette's recording to the entire camp in the next episode.
Maybe. Of course we can't know til it happens.

scrod

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 11:00:29 PM »
If Ben planted the tape recorder, you can be sure that the statements on it are exactly what Ben wants them to hear.  I agree with capemail's version of events.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »
Ben always has a plan and does nothing by chance. He wanted Locke to take that tape recorder.

Offline lostonlocke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »
Ben wanted it to be taken.  Why not cause a split in the camp.  If they are not united, then they are easier to pick off.  If you don't trust the ones around you, you get paranoid. It makes people do crazy things.  He is the master manipulator.  I would like to see Locke be able to take on Ben.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 08:58:59 PM »
Ben wanted it to be taken.  Why not cause a split in the camp.  If they are not united, then they are easier to pick off.  If you don't trust the ones around you, you get paranoid. It makes people do crazy things.  He is the master manipulator.  I would like to see Locke be able to take on Ben.
I haven't seen Locke manipulate too many people... a few, yes, and he was really good when he did so, but I'm not sure if he's as good a manipulator as Ben.

Offline lostonlocke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »
Benjamin Linus is pure evil.  Good versus Evil?  White stone - Black stone that was found in the first season.  It always comes back to that kind of theme.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 09:05:43 PM »
Benjamin Linus is pure evil.  Good versus Evil?  White stone - Black stone that was found in the first season.  It always comes back to that kind of theme.
Right, but there's always a WHITE to the BLACK and vice versa. No one is pure evil and no one is purely good.

For instance, Locke had both a white and black eye in Claire's dream.

Offline lostonlocke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 09:09:56 PM »
I might concede that point, but some people come pretty close.  Ben comes close and Locke is a little gray.