Author Topic: Conception on "THE island"  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Conception on "THE island"
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:06:26 PM »
I apologize if this has already been discussed but here's a question...

When Juliette was talking to Ben in her flashback episode, she said "it happens at conception" and then when she got to the losties camp she said "women who get pregnant on THIS island die" but Kate would have conceived on the OTHER island "where they work", maybe I'm reading too much into this, but wouldn't that disprove "Kate, you're pregant and you're gonna die"? because she conceived off of the island itself. . . just a thought.

Any feedback?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Conception on "THE island"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »
I think you are looking to much into this. First of all we do not know that Kate is pregnant. She has had sex on both island so if she is, where did it happen. I treat all of these island in the immediate area the same.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
That's definitely an interesting point.  How far do the "magic powers" of the Island extend?  Do they extend to Alcatraz, a mile or two off shore?  It would definitely make sense that the Others put Kate and Sawyer together to see if they could successfully conceive off the main Island.  But then again, I have to imagine they would've thought of that before and tried with someone else in the 3 years since Juliet arrived.  And we have some idea that Sawyer is sterile, so the only way for him to get Kate pregnat is if the sperm-boosting effects of the main Island work on the little island too.  And I would think if that's the case, then the same pregnancy problem would occur as well.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:12:40 PM »
What evidence do we have that sawyer is sterile. Evidence we do have is to the contrary, he has a baby.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:20:34 PM »
Good point.  I guess there was some speculation that he was sterile, but that was it.  He was pretty determined that it was NOT his baby.  But I guess it's a moot point anyway, since he's on the Island.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »
I should not believe in a God who does not dance.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

On the island, everyone gets to dance.  Sawyer, Jin....pregnancy has been everywhere.  The females....Kate, Sun, Ana Lucia, Rachel, Sarah...knocked up at some time.    Who did I not list?

I'm betting that the next pregnancy will not be Kate, but will instead be Rose.  But, that is based purely upon speculation. 

The evidence for Colleen to have been pregnant is scant, but the circumstance would fit.  Why not?  What would make the storyline more interesting?  Colleen and Danni were recent additions and Colleen was pregnant off of the island.  Ben was unsure of whether to include Colleen and Danni in his little plans (he's always making those) and certainly didn't want some little screaming kid around.  So, Ben....who always gets what he needs and seems always to have for everything to happen....sets in sequence a chain of events to get rid of them both.

I still buy the notion that Danni was going to kill Sawyer to spare Kate the fate of being a fertility lab rat and I think that we will see this story revisited in the future.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:49:45 PM by puff6962 »

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:31:55 AM »
If they all know that you end up dead if you get preggers on the island, then why not..
a) issue Dharma condoms to all the stud muffin fellas
b) tell folks " no boinking on the beach"
c) moor a huge 'loveraft' out to sea with a handsome gondolier ferryman, for 'recreational use'

that way there'll be no more dead ladies...
See problem solved - Dharma Institue... Pah!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »

On the island, everyone gets to dance.  Sawyer, Jin....pregnancy has been everywhere.  The females....Kate, Sun, Ana Lucia, Rachel, Sarah...knocked up at some time.    Who did I not list?

You missed Libby. As far as we know, Hurley hadn't gotten any tail yet ;)

I think you are looking to much into this. First of all we do not know that Kate is pregnant. She has had sex on both island so if she is, where did it happen. I treat all of these island in the immediate area the same.
What evidence do we have that sawyer is sterile. Evidence we do have is to the contrary, he has a baby.
I agree with both of these statements.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »
I believe both islands have the same "powers".   The purple light affected both islands.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Didn't she also say that the sperm count is five times higher here, as in, on this island?  She didn't say 'on both of these islands' but I don't think she has to SAY both.  I think she just implies it...

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »
If they all know that you end up dead if you get preggers on the island, then why not..
a) issue Dharma condoms to all the stud muffin fellas
b) tell folks " no boinking on the beach"
c) moor a huge 'loveraft' out to sea with a handsome gondolier ferryman, for 'recreational use'

that way there'll be no more dead ladies...
See problem solved - Dharma Institue... Pah!

When one of the women was dying, Ben comforted Juliet by telling her the woman knew she was taking a risk by getting pregnant.  All of the Others are aware they will probably die if they get pregnant.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
My question is why is Kate doinking Sawyer?  Is she using protection?  If not, are we seeing the true insanity of Miss. Kate?

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
I believe both islands have the same "powers".   The purple light affected both islands.

Then why did Ben go to the main Island to heal? I think their is a central force of healing on the Island and the closer you are the faster you heal. Colleen and Pickett were both shot off of the main Island and died. If you live off the land it heals you quicker.

Never thought about Kate conceiving on the Hydra. Would make sense since shortly before the plane crash Juliet figures out that it happens at conception. Ben refuses to let her take women off the Island. When more mothers arrive Juliet tests the theory on Kate by getting her knocked-up on the Hydra. Farther away=greater chance of survival?

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »
Liking that theory.  I also like the notion of paddling way out of the love boat and making babies.  That would be a hoot.  They'd probably be running that boat 5 times a day.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 05:50:44 PM »
I believe both islands have the same "powers".   The purple light affected both islands.

Then why did Ben go to the main Island to heal? I think their is a central force of healing on the Island and the closer you are the faster you heal. Colleen and Pickett were both shot off of the main Island and died. If you live off the land it heals you quicker.

Never thought about Kate conceiving on the Hydra. Would make sense since shortly before the plane crash Juliet figures out that it happens at conception. Ben refuses to let her take women off the Island. When more mothers arrive Juliet tests the theory on Kate by getting her knocked-up on the Hydra. Farther away=greater chance of survival?

When they left the island, Juliet explained to Jack that they don't like being at the hydra, plus Kate and Sawyer knew where to find them. SO they moved home. I do not think it was so Ben could heal faster.