Author Topic: Is Jack Acting Funny?  (Read 10013 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Is Jack Acting Funny?
« on: April 26, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »
Yes, I know, Jack is aware of what happens to women upon the island.  But, he seems to be staring / studying people more.  He asks where Jin is before he asks about Sun's pregnancy.  He goes right to the point (any bleeding?) trying to find out if Sun is STILL pregnant! 

He has been with the Others for over a week.  Jack is not someone who just keeps his "head down" and should have been able to deduce quite a lot about the Others from his stay.  Old Jack would have had some answerd (or guesses), new Jack says nada.  Sawyers jokes about Jack and Juliet's "favorite Other."  Was this foreshadow?  Old Jack would have wanted answers immediately from Juliet.  New Jack spends quality time with her.  Old Jack would have asked why four men went off on their own into the jungle, new Jack only wants to know if Sun is STILL pregnant. 

Was Kate's comment, at the border of Otherville, pertinent?  "That's not Jack," she said.  Is Jack acting funny and, if so, why?

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Is Jack Acting Funny?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »
I've been bouncing these ideas around also. I am sure Kate's comment was pertinent. Sun's was directly in line with it. Funny how Kate got defensive with Sun upon Sun making a similar comment.

We do not know ALL of the details of Ben and Jack's deal. Is he working in parallel with Juliet? Does he have any tricks up his sleeve with the Losties' best interest in mind? As mentioned Jack's ONLY concern when he spoke to Sun was whether or not she was still pregnant.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Jack is an A$$.  He is a blinded dumba$$.  I put more faith in Sun growing pumpkins in her garden before i put anymore faith in Jacka$$.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »
Jack seemed way to into Sun's pregnancy. He definately knows more than we do. I think we'll eventually get some back story like TPTB did in 3 minutes.

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »
I have to agree about being sort of annoyed by Jack's behavior.  But I think his odd behavior is actually the best evidence that he IS the real Jack and isn't corrupted.  See, anyone with a pulse would realize that the rest of the castaways would be a bit suspicious of him after his time apart.  Especially after he vouched for Juliet like he did.  If he were acting as an agent, he would be trying harder to 'be normal'.  He would be far more likely to share a few (false) stories like Michael did than to simply be sort of detached and weird like he's being now. This behavior invites suspicion.  IMO, he's obviously been a little effected by having a gal like Juliet bat a few eyelashes at him, and he's also just mentally scarred/changed from the whole experience on the other island.  But he's not a traitor. 

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 01:37:20 PM »
Jack is being Jack (da man, by the way). The doctor has just learned one of his friends is in deadly danger and is trying to firgure out if she's affected by the "island curse" without scaring the bejesus out of her!

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 01:59:17 PM »
Jacka$$ probably had Juliet take Sun to the station to have her check Sun out. But that is because Jacka$$ trusts Juliet because he is a jacka$$.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
Jack is being Jack (da man, by the way). The doctor has just learned one of his friends is in deadly danger and is trying to firgure out if she's affected by the "island curse" without scaring the bejesus out of her!

I agree...not to mention that he just saw Claire supposedly almost die, so he's trying to see how Sun is doing without panicking her. Kate even backed this up when Sun asked her about Jack's behavior. Kate told Sun about the health issues pregnant woman have on the island, and seemed to indicate to Sun that that was the reason Jack was acting somewhat strange towards her.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 04:23:21 PM »
Jack is acting strange.  In Left Behind, Juliett mentioned to him that she faked being gassed, and that she herself had dragged Kate into the jungle and handcuffed herself to Kate in order to win her trust.  Jack didn't bat an eyelash over it.  That's not like him.  He usually has a fit about liars.  The Others must have brought him around to their way of thinking somehow.  I'm doubting that Jack was gassed.  I think he was faking it to fool Kate.  He's been compromised. 

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
I think it's all about the whole 'leadership' thing. If you remember back, he was put into a position of leadership when he really didn't want to be a leader. However, he did lead the people well and everybody looked up to him.

However, now, he is more than aware that not only has he brought back an 'other' and is protecting her but, he is more than aware that he can't just stroll back into a leadership role (and doesn't want to either!). He probably knows that other people have been taking that role in his absence and is grateful for it. Add to that his experience over the last few weeks and his genuine concern for Sun and I'm satisfied that we have some sort of solution (IMO anyway!).

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
Four men go off in the jungle....Jack doesn't ask why or where they were going.  Despite the Other's abandoning their camp, he doesn't raise any concern that the group may encounter the enemy.  Did Jack know that where the Others were going is somewhere that the Losties couldn't or wouldn't reach?  How did he know such a thing unless he is compromised and a plant?

Can anyone believe that Jack didn't pick up just a little bit of knowledge about the Others during his stay?  

Normally, Jack overreacts.  Now, he is "just keeping his head down."  Jack is either a complete moron or working another deal.

Offline FireLily

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »
I think Jack knows something we don't know, but he's trying to work out a way to use it to his advantage.  He's too smart to actually believe that nothing fishy is going on.  He may be trusting but he's been on the same island as the other losties.  He's playing it close to the chest.  If you don't want people to leak what you're up to, don't tell them.  Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer....

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 04:53:52 PM »
Four men go off in the jungle....Jack doesn't ask why or where they were going.  Despite the Other's abandoning their camp, he doesn't raise any concern that the group may encounter the enemy.  Did Jack know that where the Others were going is somewhere that the Losties couldn't or wouldn't reach?  How did he know such a thing unless he is compromised and a plant?

Can anyone believe that Jack didn't pick up just a little bit of knowledge about the Others during his stay? 

Normally, Jack overreacts.  Now, he is "just keeping his head down."  Jack is either a complete moron or working another deal.

Nah, people on this damn show trudge off into the jungle all the time without anyone raising an eyebrow.

"Where's Jin?"..."I think I saw him heading into the jungle awhile ago."
"Where's Charlie?"..."He said something about going to look for fruit in the jungle."
"Where's Claire?"..."I think she took Aaron for a walk in the jungle where there's shade."

Not to mention that the four men actually went walking along the beach, not into the jungle. It wasn't until the helicopter crash that they went into the jungle, and by that time they were far away from Jack's eyes.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 06:07:38 PM »
I don't think he's acting funny or knows anything... I think Sun is just paranoid ever since Charlie grabbed her.

Offline Pegasus

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »
Hello...this is my first time posting here.

I was hoping somebody would start this discussion.

I think Jack has been acting strange. Either he has a "plan" or he is working for the others. Or maybe he's an evil twin. I think that he might be keeping an eye on Juliette as well as the Losties, because I doubt Ben is stupid enough to trust her 100%.