Author Topic: Who did Mikhail (Patchy) Expect to find in that vicinity?  (Read 12515 times)

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Who did Mikhail (Patchy) Expect to find in that vicinity?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 02:15:54 PM »
I think it is likely that Patchy saw the crash as well, and was also searching for the parachuter in the area. When he saw the flair, he came running.

Of course, that doesn't explain 1) how he's up and running about, 2) what he expected to find, or 3) who she is. But that's for a different thread! :)

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 02:28:52 PM »
I said it somewhere else...Patchy went there for the same reasons that Ben sent Goodwin and Ethan after the crash.  Patchy wasn't expecting company.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 04:53:08 PM »
i think he wanted the phone for two reasons:

1.  so the losties didn't have it.
2.  he's a communications guy, and the phone was a new gadget.  he wanted it.  that simple.  just like if all our computers were torn up and someone showed up with a new fangled computer.  we'd covet it and try to get it.  it's human nature to want what you don't have.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 05:25:19 PM »
Ladybug, that means Mikial is breaking one of the 10 commandments. "covet"
And here I thought that he rose from the dead on the 6 day... whoa totally JESUS style.

Offline miketrapasso

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »
But Christ rose on the third day... ;)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I said it somewhere else...Patchy went there for the same reasons that Ben sent Goodwin and Ethan after the crash.  Patchy wasn't expecting company.

I'm not so sure... Ethan and Goodwin were sent by Ben, and given the state of Mikhail, it doesn't seem like he's had any human interaction.  I judge that by the still crusted blood on him, his eagerness to find the flare...  I don't think he had contact or orders to find these people.  I think he was looking for the others and took the flare as a sign from them, he expected to see his old other buddies.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
My guess is that Mikhail didn't see the flare (he was in the jungle after all... kinda hard to see with all them trees... and accidentally stumbled on them. He seemed as surprised to see them as they were to see him.

If he was going on purpose, then he was going to find Naomi. He was surprised that there were already 4 people there. He thought Naomi fired the flare and was coming to get her. He ran because he knew that he couldn't take on four people.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 11:20:51 PM »

I'm not so sure... Ethan and Goodwin were sent by Ben, and given the state of Mikhail, it doesn't seem like he's had any human interaction.  I judge that by the still crusted blood on him, his eagerness to find the flare...  I don't think he had contact or orders to find these people.  I think he was looking for the others and took the flare as a sign from them, he expected to see his old other buddies.
Why would the Others shoot a flare for everyone to see?  That doesn't make sense to me, they are much more discreet.  IMHO, he is clearly running after another crash site to find out, and take, whatever he needs.  He doesn't neccisarily need Ben's direct orders on it.  It's like Others 101 ;)

I agree JB that he was suprise to see the lot and ran.  I don't think Naomi is an Other tho.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 09:37:16 PM »
You guys have to understand that I am not dogmatic in these posts.  I like to think of them as a thought exercise and see where they go. 

I'm sympathetic to the explanations that Mikail maybe didn't think he needed a gun, even though this seems out of character for him, but I wonder if Mikail's real mission was simply to do what he did....try and take any form of communications.

That brings up secondary points....Why would Mikail want such communication?  It is probably true that the others have lost their comm station.  So, this could be one reason....to restore a method of communicating with the outside world.   Another reason would be that Mikail must insure that nobody else has such communication.  This would allow the Losties to contact the outside world (if there is one) and pretty soon you would have condo's on the banks of Otherville.  Sign me up now!

Finally, Mikail may want the communication to call for more outsiders.  Why?  I don't know.  Just throwing that out there.
He wanted to order a pizza...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
He may have been out looking for Naomi.  He has no idea of Desmond's flashes and wouldn't expect anyone from the beach to be able to see or hear a helicopter crash from the other side of the island.  He defiantly was not expecting our losties, but he may have been expecting Naomi.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2007, 04:58:34 PM »
I think he was out of Vodka and mistook the heli for a pallette drop! :D

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
That was good.  How does he go to the bathroom in that suit?  Moreover, why does he still wear a Dharma suit? 

Yes, he may have stumbled upon the group unarmed, but where was Mikail going?  He didn't spend too much time in the abandoned camp....otherwise he would have changed clothes, got a new eyepatch, taken a shower.....he doesn't take supplies or a bag....he is unarmed....and he's in the middle of nowhere when the flare is shot.

What was Mikail doing? 

Two groups of Others. 

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 02:57:43 PM »
Two factions of others confirmed.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2007, 06:22:31 PM »
That was good.  How does he go to the bathroom in that suit?  Moreover, why does he still wear a Dharma suit? 

Yes, he may have stumbled upon the group unarmed, but where was Mikail going?  He didn't spend too much time in the abandoned camp....otherwise he would have changed clothes, got a new eyepatch, taken a shower.....he doesn't take supplies or a bag....he is unarmed....and he's in the middle of nowhere when the flare is shot.

What was Mikail doing? 

Two groups of Others. 
Well, I think he takes it off to go to the bathroom ;) Now to the more important questions asked:

I'm guessing that Mikhail was previously Dharma. During the purge, they found that Mikhail may be "amenable to coersion" like Locke. However, Mikhail still has a side to him that makes him insubordinate to Ben.

He MAY have met up with the Others... then again maybe not. I'm not sure that they would really concentrate on getting Mikhail cleaned up. I personally don't think he did. I've seen some theories that sorta make sense... was the flare supposed to be a signal for Mikhail to come meet them? The only real problem with that theory is that if they fired a flare, probably some of the Losties would see, and I don't think the Others want the Losties to know where they are right now.

What was Mikhail doing? Well, we probably won't ever really find out.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2007, 11:42:46 AM »
My conclusions:

- Mik probably hasn't had contact with The Others since being knocked out by the fence, so he didn't have direct orders from Ben regarding Naomi/chopper/sat-phone...only standing orders as part of Others 101.

- Mik probably just seized the opportunity when he noticed the phone.

- Mik is part of the military contigent of The Others, and in particular he's one that doesn't get along with others.  Those that do get along (submarine crew, the guys Sawyer recognized as having "some fight in 'em", etc) are integrated with the more-or-less scientific Others.  The military Others train the scientists to fight, survive, track, sneak.  The scientists train the military guys in whatever it is that they're good at.  This goes back to my theory that the purge may have been when DHARMA conflicted with whatever military forces were stationed on The Island.  Surely the military got there first.