Author Topic: On This Island, Wounds Are A Bit Different....  (Read 15204 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: On This Island, Wounds Are A Bit Different....
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 12:54:15 AM »
Also... Jack gave up on Boone at the end, he was going to  cut his leg off, but didn't.  Maybe the island is only rewarding pure determination.  Or,  yknow... something.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »
Just an observation. If you can recover from a punctured lung in a day or two, and be up wandering through the jungle like Tarzan after a week then how come it took the losties injuries they sustained in the crash so long to heal?  Those seem pretty superficial compared to a branch sticking out of your gut.
How long did they take to heal? It didn't seem like a lot...

Offline TXFlyboy

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 12:55:39 AM »
Just an observation. If you can recover from a punctured lung in a day or two, and be up wandering through the jungle like Tarzan after a week then how come it took the losties injuries they sustained in the crash so long to heal?  Those seem pretty superficial compared to a branch sticking out of your gut.
How long did they take to heal? It didn't seem like a lot...
Seemed like the first few weeks (island time)at least.

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 12:56:20 AM »
That's an interesting point. We never heard anything about Jack's wound that Kate had to help sew up back in 1.1 healing at some superhuman rate, did we? 

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 01:09:45 AM »
I think that Mikail's rebirth and Naomi healing from a punctured lung in 1 day probably relates to wherever the Others went for a week and what they did there.  Is there some procedure or ceremony they perform that awakens the island's healing powers?  If so, why didn't Ben try it sooner?

Mikail was shown to be dead.

A pneumothorax normally requires a drain for many days to ensure that the lung covering has closed.  If it hasn't then air leaks out around the lung and you get another pneumothorax and, potentially, a tension pneumothorax.  The latter will kill you quick and is always what doctor's identify by their stethoscope (no breath sounds) followed by some needle or sharp object being inserted into the pocket with air then rushing out.  Very dramatic.

I guess that if we see Klugh on Dancing With The Stars, then we will know that the island can heal anything.

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 01:11:14 AM »
Based on this statement, is Pickett dead? Knowing what we know about Juliette, shooting Pickett and getting exiled could have been part of the plan to gain Jack's trust. If he gets shot, but can heal, or whether the shooting was faked, I wonder if he's still alive somewhere?

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 01:50:36 AM »
Patchy was never dead in my opinion,  they left him there without actually checking his vitals or anything like that so they never really knew if he was actually dead or not.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 02:29:35 AM »
Well Crap on a stick then - because Tweedle Dee (Nikki) and Tweedle Dumb (Paulo) weren't dead.

lmfao.. i swear if they bring these two back i will hurt somebody!!

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 02:39:48 AM »
There seems to be a distinct difference in how certain things can hurt you on the island:

-- There is a difference between an injury and a disease. You can't get cancer on the island, or you heal from it very quickly. (Except Ben.)

-- If you are injured, you have to treat it the same way you'd treat it anywhere else. Deadly is still deadly, etc. etc. The ONLY difference with injuries seems to be the SPEED with which they heal, not deadly they are. Something that could kill ya at home can kill ya here.

But if it doesn't kill ya, you'll heal faster. Probably a similar reason why the sperm counts are five times higher: The body makes the sperm at amazingly fast rates on the island.

It's timing, not degree.

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 10:07:52 AM »
Patchy is alive because he was never truely dead. 

He is only mostly dead... hasn't the 'Princess Bride' taught us anything?

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 10:16:49 AM »
Patchy is alive because he was never truely dead.  Perhaps he was just unconscious or in a coma.  Who knows.  But I don't think he actually died and came back alive.  And what's most important, I think he knew that he wouldn't be killed in the fence. 
SOME ONE HELP ME!!! I AM AGREEING WITH ASTRO AGAIN!!!    :-[     :D

No one checked to see if Patchy was dead which I found a little odd, I agree he was knocked unconscious by the shock!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 10:59:54 AM »
ANd I agree with both of you!!

Earlier this year, the producers said that when you are dead on the island you stay dead. Some injuries kill you, some you survive! If you survive, you heal quicker. Pretty straight forward.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
Patchy is alive because he was never truely dead.  Perhaps he was just unconscious or in a coma.  Who knows.  But I don't think he actually died and came back alive.  And what's most important, I think he knew that he wouldn't be killed in the fence. 
SOME ONE HELP ME!!! I AM AGREEING WITH ASTRO AGAIN!!!    :-[     :D

No one checked to see if Patchy was dead which I found a little odd, I agree he was knocked unconscious by the shock!
I disagree. They checked, and he was alive. But they left him there because he looked pretty bad and about to die, but NEVER we saw him dead.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
ANd I agree with both of you!!

Earlier this year, the producers said that when you are dead on the island you stay dead. Some injuries kill you, some you survive! If you survive, you heal quicker. Pretty straight forward.
but the libby thing still bothers me.  a shot to the stomach isn't always deadly, actually the opposite.  with immediate medical attention people can survive, although they will have future problems from their injuries, they still live.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 12:23:20 PM »
Mikail bubbled out of his ears with blood.  He was dead....but, he died at the Other's camp. 

Danny died on the other island.  His wife, on the water.  Klugh at the Flame.

Proximity effect?  Perhaps.

I have begun to learn to pay careful attention to the podcast's wording and I hope that the writer's have left themselves a little room here.  Could they mean to suggest that there are "twinners" of each person (The Talisman) or that prior to Mikail completely dying he passed over into an alternate reality (as a "single" can do)? 

Or, did the proximity to the healing center protect Mikail? 

Did you all catch the implications of what Mikail stated, "On this island....1 1/2 days."  Is there another island where healing/restorative powers are even more pronounced?

Finally, I would presume that the Other's would place their camp where the restorative powers of the island were greatest!  Hence, Mikail returned from "almost dead" whilst Danny/wife did not.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 12:25:03 PM by puff6962 »