Author Topic: They found 815?  (Read 24535 times)

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: They found 815?
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »
I'm not buying that she would know the flight number - who remembers that much detail?

You don't think she'd know the flight number of the flight that "killed" a plane full of people? I think that everone would know, especially from all of the news coverage that Ben shows us in Juliette's flashback, it was a tragedy, people pay attention during tragedies, it's a cover up.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2007, 04:39:28 PM »
I'm not buying that she would know the flight number - who remembers that much detail?
(I'm not singling out this post, but referencing it and others like it from earlier in the thread....)

Someone who works in some sort of aviation field would remember a lot of details about a plane crash. Ok, Naomi might just be some random girl on a helicopter flying over a mysterious island, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say she might be a helicopter pilot, or co-pilot, or otherwise trained to fly in a helicopter and search for and/or rescue people/things. If this is the case then I believe she would, in fact, remember the details of a large crash, involving search and rescue efforts, in the vicinity of her current location that occurred just 3 months earlier.

I know a flight attendant, and she remembers flight numbers and details of many plane crashes that have occurred over the last decade.... And for personal reasons, I follow plane crash investigations in the news and I remember flight numbers/details from some crashes from many years ago. So I have no problem believing Naomi, who may have a professional interest in an aviation disaster, remembers what/who Flight 815 is.

very well put cayley.  i agree 100%.
I get what your saying, but I still find it hard to believe she knew about the flight...it was way off course...plus she wasnt looking for crash survivors, she was looking for Des, who was on a boat....somethings not right here...
I disagree with you Lou and am with Cayley on this one.  Regardless, she would know about this given her profession.  Who knows how the media played it out as well!  It could totally be possible.

And I agree with Cayley and LB and Joy
and disagree with Lou :P
Yes I too remember some plane crashes and their flight numbers
so whats the big deal?  She actually said?  "The flight from Sydney?' to verify that she was remembering the correct flight

I agree Debs, it is another example of the show being very straight forward with the information, lets believe them. It was clear from the conversation that she did not just memorize the flight number, she needed clairification.
I agree with everyone except Lou here. How many of us don't know what Flight 93 means? We don't even NEED the airline. The words Flight 93 makes us think of 9/11, and that movie that came out afterwards... But mostly 9/11
Maybe because they made two movies about it....give me a list (without cheating) of other flights that have gone down in the last 5 years....

Lets assume a major american plane flight disappeared within the last 90 days, from Hawaii. For days or weeks they were searching for the plane. It is on cnn, fox news etc 24/7. Then they say they finally found it. You go to another country and someone says to you, I am from flight 314(or whatever) that crashed, your response would be flight 314, from Hawaii? That is what Naomi did, what other flight would it be. You may not remember the flight number, but it will trigger your memory.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »
Sorry, maybe it's just me, just not buying it....

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2007, 05:40:37 PM »
After listening to it, I'm not buying the podcast.  They threw out the options of Naomi lying versus a grand conspiracy.  I don't think that she is lying and I don't buy the conspiracy theory.  The were elusive in their language in an otherwise, very direct, conversation.  These guys are pulling a rabbit on us.  I can see how they write Ben's character.  The answer will be consistent with some notion of a conspiracy, but not in the way that you suspect. 

If Naomi is lying, then she is doing so because Dharma lives and has turned the entire plane crash/losties into one big lord of the flies experiment.  Not a good story.

If there is a conspiracy, then it would take a nation and a vast right wing conspiracy to do it.  Maybe the Others are republicans (kidding).  Again, conspiracy stories usually fall on their asses unless you are able to expose the conspirators and get even.  Don't see that one happening unless they get off the island.

My guess, as joked about in the podcast, the plane flew into a tear in a bubble.  The losties, while not in purgatory, are "between worlds."  This idea has been alluded to by the miracle girl that Echo was sent to investigate, by Desmond's "see you in another life," and by Ben's "God doesn't know about this place any more than the rest of the world."

The Langoliers.

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2007, 08:18:38 PM »
If there is a conspiracy, then it would take a nation and a vast right wing conspiracy to do it.  Maybe the Others are republicans (kidding).  Again, conspiracy stories usually fall on their asses unless you are able to expose the conspirators and get even.  Don't see that one happening unless they get off the island.

why would it take a nation or vast right wing?

we're talking about people who have the balls enough to tell a well respected doctor that their mixing a tranq right in front of her, who also killed her husband (or ex) at the drop of a dime, (and literally how she asked for it to happen i might add)

i dont think covering up a simple plane crash is that far fetched, far bigger and worse cover ups have happened before my friend

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
Lou doesn't buy too much.  But, let's rehash the magnitude of what cbw420 is suggesting. 

Again, the notion that anyone could fake a plane crash, in any form, or substitute one plane for another in the crash is just not credible.  In the age of global terrorism, all wreckage is collected and analized.  To believe that one could "fake" a plane crash, or that one could substitute one plane for another, implies that one could build a copy of the plane....exact down to every serial number....and place that plane (along with exact replica's of passenger belongings) in an appropriate crash location without detection be radar, sonar, listening stations, or visual detection.  It takes literally hundreds of thousands of skilled employees to build an airplane.  A crash scene is reviewed for years with every detail checked and rechecked. 

Take a look at TWA 800 at:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/TWA800reconstruction.jpg/400px-TWA800reconstruction.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vol_800_TWA&h=283&w=400&sz=31&hl=en&start=18&um=1&tbnid=2GbC2LOKfwrVPM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtwa%2B800%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

And, remember, they were able to find Ramsi Ussef from the serial number upon a single part of an automobile, amonst thousands of tons of debris, folling the first bombings of the world trade centers.

As much as I enjoy the notion of Dharma or the other's being very powerful people, and the Hanso foundation global, there would simply be no way of possibly doing what you all are suggesting

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 01, 2007, 08:34:36 PM »
Lou doesn't buy too much.  But, let's rehash the magnitude of what cbw420 is suggesting. 

Again, the notion that anyone could fake a plane crash, in any form, or substitute one plane for another in the crash is just not credible.  In the age of global terrorism, all wreckage is collected and analized.  To believe that one could "fake" a plane crash, or that one could substitute one plane for another, implies that one could build a copy of the plane....exact down to every serial number....and place that plane (along with exact replica's of passenger belongings) in an appropriate crash location without detection be radar, sonar, listening stations, or visual detection.  It takes literally hundreds of thousands of skilled employees to build an airplane.  A crash scene is reviewed for years with every detail checked and rechecked. 

Take a look at TWA 800 at:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/TWA800reconstruction.jpg/400px-TWA800reconstruction.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vol_800_TWA&h=283&w=400&sz=31&hl=en&start=18&um=1&tbnid=2GbC2LOKfwrVPM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtwa%2B800%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

And, remember, they were able to find Ramsi Ussef from the serial number upon a single part of an automobile, amonst thousands of tons of debris, folling the first bombings of the world trade centers.

As much as I enjoy the notion of Dharma or the other's being very powerful people, and the Hanso foundation global, there would simply be no way of possibly doing what you all are suggesting

you have got to be kidding me, the Russian government could pull this off in a heartbeat,

how old are you?? seriously?? how old??

and just so you know, i know exactly what goes into building aircraft and what goes into investigating a crash, if you would like, we could get into further detail of my past and where ive worked in regards to this, but we'll have to do it in the community lounge

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 01, 2007, 08:47:04 PM »
you must have been in special ops.  my guess, navy seal or green beret.  tell me how many parts are on a DC-10?  how many parts to PERFECTLY assemble within weeks.  how many parts to match serial numbers?  tell me, birchum, all of your qualifications and i'll pack a lunch.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:01:37 PM by puff6962 »

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 01, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »
you must have been in special ops.  my guess, navy seal or green beret.
I'd bet he worked for a box company.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2007, 09:13:37 PM »

I think the "plane crash" that was found was just a web of words.  I'd bet Hanso has enough influence to make things appear without ever showing anyone one bit of evidence.  All it takes is a threat and a wad of cash.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 01, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
One little whistleblower?  All those little conspiracy theorists?  The number, the shear number, of people that would have to be bribed.  I'm not disagreeing with anyone, least of all Mr. CBW, but I hope the writers don't go with something that would be debated....lambasted....on these boards for months.

If you have time, take a look at the juiciest little tidbit of conspiracy theory still going.....was TWA 800 downed by a missle?

The wikipedia link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

Offline cbw420

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 01, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »

I think the "plane crash" that was found was just a web of words.  I'd bet Hanso has enough influence to make things appear without ever showing anyone one bit of evidence.  All it takes is a threat and a wad of cash.

exactly what i'm saying

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »
NTSB, MCD/Boeing, the Australian authorities.....that would take a lot of cash.  Maybe Dharma was behind the cover-up at Roswell.  No wait, that was the U.S. government.  Look at how well a nation can bury a secret!

Ockham's razor....the easiest explanation is that the tide (which came in amazingly fast and literally flooded the survivor's camp) washed away the wreckage which was then found.  The island, however, is unlocatable and hence....no survivors.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:27 PM »
That could be true.  We don't have enough details of the crash to say which would be more likely... and maybe it wouldn't take any cash.  All those people you mentioned could have ties to Dharma.  Just a thought.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
One little whistleblower?  All those little conspiracy theorists?  The number, the shear number, of people that would have to be bribed.  I'm not disagreeing with anyone, least of all Mr. CBW, but I hope the writers don't go with something that would be debated....lambasted....on these boards for months.

If you have time, take a look at the juiciest little tidbit of conspiracy theory still going.....was TWA 800 downed by a missle?

The wikipedia link is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_800

I'm sorry and you think that Time travel / alternate realities blah blah blah would not be...."debated....lambasted....on these boards for months"????