Author Topic: What about Ben?  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: What about Ben?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »
my thoughts on Ben and the Others....

There were 2 groups of people living on the island when Dharma came.  All, technically, a part of dharma, but very different indeed.  On one side were the researchers.  These were the Dharma Scientists, like the DeGroots, who conducted all of the scientific experiments on the island.  The Other side were the "Work Man" group.  These were the construction workers, the network people, the cable-runners, the janitors, the mechanics, the road builders...all of the people there to support Dharma.  Ben's father was one of these men.  Roger Linus.  We've seen Roger, possibly, in the van that Hurley found, and his name tag, Roger Work Man was our clue.

The Work Man group became known as the Hostiles.  They grew more and more disgruntled with the scientists, and their "god-like" ideas and research on this mysterious island.  And then Roger made a discovery.  Some mystical quality of the island.  He connected with the island somehow, just like Locke has done and gained a great deal of insight.  Upon learning of this the Researchers began to realize the need to exterminate the work man.

For whatever reason the Purge happened.  Perhaps the Scientists realized the growing knowledge and/or connection that the Hostiles were having with the island.  But whatever the case, the Scientists of Dharma decided to purge the island of this threat, of the Hostiles.  But they under-estimated the Hostiles and their knowledge/power on the island.  The scientists lost.

Ben may or may not have actually been born on the island, though Roger Linus is his father (though not necessarily his biological father. Perhaps he, too, is like Alex).  Since the Flame station was never destroyed, even though it was ordered to be destroyed if the HOstiles took over, we can assume that the outside world may not even know about the Purge and the results it had. 

Ben's concern, for now, seems to revolved around ensuring that his people can reproduce and survive on the island.  They are trying to ensure a utopian society of sorts.  It is my feelings that they do indeed think that some end of the world may be coming, however, I'm not so sure right now that they're actually trying to stop it.

Does Ben lie?  Yes and No.  I think Ben considers himself an honest person for the most part, however he manipulates people for what he considers, "the greater good".  What he does is definitely lying, but I'm not so sure he sees it that way.  I also think that he is a smart liar, which means he tells the truth as often as he can, or at least the partial truth so that he doesn't get caught in too many lies.

I think the island may exist as a vortex or connection point to space-time and possibly even the multi-verse.

There you go, that's my mad ramblings!  ;)
Dude when Lindelof finds out your telling all his secrets he's going to be pissed!

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »
So I got this from spoilerfix Lost spoilers

03/27 - It looks like you'll get more action on Hurley's... van. Producers are currently casting for a "Roger," a working-class janitor in his early forties who is bitter about his place in life but has higher aspirations. The notice says of the character, "He has troubled and complex relationship with his son; he finds himself caught up in a mysterious situation beyond his imaginings; and the actor must not be claustrophobic." Pretty sure this is the skeleton — "Roger Work Man"—from Hurley's episode. Source: Kristin on E!Online

So with the thought of Roger workman being Ben's father, maybe...did Ben have problems with his father too...the reoccuring theme of father issues...did Ben kill his father too, to be accepted like he did to Locke?

I called it!!!!

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 05:27:33 PM »
Good work Lou!

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »
Quick question, probably no where near on topic, yet about Ben.

Since he was the leader of the other's aka hostiles...and there is a spoiler out there about the island having two "teams" again after an episode coming up...could Ben get ousted from the other's aka hostiles into the losties' camp? Dethroned because locke will rule them. No one tells him what to do..not even die from a gunshot wound to the lower chest area! lol And his craziness is mocked by the losties'? Fun times...fun times. LOL

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
I had to raise this thread again.  After all the hoop la about Ben - well what about Ben?  Ha ha ha ha...not much these days
I sure hope we get some more scoop on this guy but I think he is just walking around with skid marks on his Haines' after his messing with the big guy.  Even the dude formerly known and Locke didn't have a use for him.  I am laughing about that big time

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
its been a while since we've heard or  found out that Ben has lied... except in the episode "The Substitute" when he tells Ilana that Locke was the one who killed Jacob... im just happy that even though Ben has grown as a character.. its good to know that he still has the capability to lie... when he did i jumped up and clapped. i love that Ben is still a liar... Ben Linus = Been Lyin to us.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »
Ben knew squat.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:07 AM »
Wow i was totally confused when i first read this thread.  I didnt read the date at all.   But I have always thought that Ben is very truthful.  Remember   he did say they were the good guys.     Obviously he lies but he was also always doing what he thought he was supposed to do for the island.