Author Topic: The Picture  (Read 5414 times)

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
The Picture
« on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »
Is this all cleared up?  Did Penny have a copy of the picture of her and Desmond in front of the fake marina?  Is the picture in Ardil-22 the actual copy taped onto a sheet of paper or is it a copy?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: The Picture
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 01:39:26 PM »
I think we are up to 3 or 4 pics now

Offline LOST N LOST

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 03:09:21 PM »
i think its a copy so the person knew who des was, she does say him name when she sees him.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 03:27:14 PM »
It's come up in discussion before...in one of the previous episode, when Des and Penny take the pic, there is only one...and then later there are two...each one has one...but if copies were made, it was never shown...and I want to say at some point he left the pic and it's returned to him...and now the copy the heli chick has...I believe you may want to go to Flashes Before Your Eyes.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »
I think He has one Penny has one.  Penny made a copy or copies to give to the people helping her find Desmond.  The parachute girl has one and thats how she knew who Desmond was.

But i think the real question should be why the heck are the people she hired Portugese.

Offline puff6962

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:11:32 PM »
Honestly, I bet the reason they are Portugese is that the show cast a couple of foreign scientific types and what popped up were these two.

Offline sauget.diblosio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »

cuselof said in the latest podcast that both desmond and penny have a copy of the photo (though i don't know how-- i just rewatched "flashes..." and it appears that the photographer only hands desmond a photo, while penny pays), and that the woman at the end of "catch 22" has a photocopy of penny's photo (which is what it looks like in the episode).

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 05:17:28 PM »
The reason why they both have a copy but in that episode we only see one is because that was all in Des's head.

The real time that that happen they both would have had one and gone home blah blah blah. 

In the book the picture was on a piece of paper so it wasnt Pennys original copy it was a copy of Pennys copy

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 10:29:07 PM »
Haven't any of you copied your photos before? I have...so she could've made an extra copy for herself and then dude decided to REALLY leave and she had the copy to look back on.

I don't think this matters does it?

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:56:56 PM »
It matters greatly.  It's one of the big mysteries.  I heard what Cuse said but it wasn't definitive to me.  I think Desmond left his photo with Penny in another time event.  Here's what I wrote on the front page about this.

-The big reveal moment in Catch 22 was NOT the photograph of Ms. Hawkings, it was the copy of the Penny/Des photo in Naomi's belongings. Only ONE copy of this photo exists in the world, and DESMOND has it on the island.  How did the parachutist get a copy of the photo (either a second photo as a copy, or a color printer copy of the photo doesn't matter, it's still a copy) if Desmond has the only one?  Focusing on the quality of the Ms. Hawking photo or the photoshop is just a distraction, please stop beating up every little detail on the show.

Des broke up with Penny at the moment he got the ONLY picture from an instamatic (Polaroid) camera.  There were no copies.  How many people break up AND THEN trade copies of the picture of themselves afterward?  Makes no logical sense.  Desmond kept his picture because his only one true love in life is Penny, and he wanted to keep a memory of her even though he knew he had to make the choice to leave her.  Penny, at that moment in time, never had (or had access to) a copy of the original.

Offline char1

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
Is there a negative in that type of camera that she could have gone back and got a copy?  Is it possible the photographer gave her a second copy right afterwards? 

I agree w/ TMack that it's wierd that they exchange pictures after a break-up, but they did live together so they may have exchanged other items, and Penny could have asked for a copy at that point. 

I don't think it came from an alternate world where she ended up with the copy.   

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
maybe the photographer was kind of expensive so they only got one.  Then when Des went off to the join the army he got a copy made without her knowing.  This would make seince see he still loves her and all that jazz.

I really dont think it is a big deal because you can copy a picture whenever you want.

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »
Maybe Penny downloaded a copy of the picture from Sledge's investigations page, and printed it off, just after she faked the Monk' picture.   :)

Afterall the Widmore's believe that with enough money and determination you can do anything....

Offline CurtYanko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »
This is such a key point to the central mythology of the show. Here is my take in as few words as possible.

Originally, there were two copies in the time line that Des didn't buy the ring or take the hit for the bartender.

Then... he  goes back in time (not in his head) and 'changes something' in order to save the world. In that timeline there is only one copy.

The two have now collided as Penny has both the resource and desire to find Desmond and provided a copy for her rescue team.

Very big clue, not sure what it means beyond the obvious.

musepsycho

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 02:00:39 PM »
I don't believe there was two copies until the time lines crashed. After all, it was taken with a Polaroid camera which only produces one copy (please correct me if I'm wrong). For Penny & Desmond to get a copy each, I can't see any other way than that the picture was taken at a different time & place (maybe without a backdrop). But then the story in FBYE would deviate too much from the "original" series of events I guess.